Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No phone buttons, need Bluetooth. Upgrade PCM or entire system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 AM
TimATC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No phone buttons, need Bluetooth. Upgrade PCM or entire system?

Hi all, I'm fairly new here, and just purchased a 2005 CTT with PCM 2.1 w/Bose, but it has no phone buttons. I really need/want bluetooth for calls and music streaming, and dislike the audio quality of the current system. I have been searching old threads to see what others have done in this situation.from what I can tell I have a few options.
1. Upgrade PCM to a 2.1 model with phone buttons that was previously installed in a Bose equipped car, and get Mobridge/Dennison/Tooki BT interface $1500-1700?
2. Changeout head unit to Chinese model that has bluetooth integrated. $600-800ish....ummm no
3. Aftermarket head unit with MOST-HUR adaptor and use Bose amp/speakers. $800+, depending on unit selected....still have Bose sound
4. Scrap it all, get a new head unit, and run amps and new speakers. I have some stuff I could dust off from the years ago (JL 500/5 amp, MB Quart Q series speakers, and a JL w7 prowedge) that I had installed in an A4 years ago. $600-1000 for head unit. (Do I need a MOST-HUR adaptor for this option?)

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is, what info will I lose from the instrument cluster if I go with a full blown audio system replacement? Is it just nav and radio info? I could live with that, but still would like the trip/MPG/clock/distance to empty. My previous car was a 2004 E500, and luckily it had a good sounding system, so I just put in a MoBridge unit, so I was able to use all of the instrument cluster goodies.
I have already learned so much about my new ride from all of you, thank you. This forum is awesome!! I would love the input from those of you that have installed new systems.
I'm leaning toward (reliving my youth) dusting off the old gear and putting it in. It's older stuff, but will sound WAY better than the Bose, or any of the new stuff I have seen lately. I would be installing it all myself so no install costs.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following, similar issue but I do have phone buttons. Curious on the display loss.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
pcst
Racer

If I were you, I wouldn't invest any $$$ to the OEM stuff, just replace the head unit with all the necessary features including the navigation and you should be good to go.

The biggest question I have is whether you can use the OEM amp or not....
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
If I were you, I wouldn't invest any $$$ to the OEM stuff, just replace the head unit with all the necessary features including the navigation and you should be good to go.

The biggest question I have is whether you can use the OEM amp or not....
+1
The OEM system was a bad joke. I figure that the guy who designed the IS bearings in 996s got re-assigned to the PCM team. The fiber optic bus was a technical dead end that no one supports, and the adoption of Bose crap was the coup d'grace.

If you're going to do it, put in a system that has both media functionality and sound quality. If you don't junk the Bose stuff, you may as well buy a no-name head unit; you'd be wasting your money linking a high end head unit to that crap. There's a reason why the bulk of Bose advertising is in AARP Magazine and Parade.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

So, does anyone know what functions are lost in the center display when replacing the head Unit?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Juaneo'sPorsche
Advanced

After having read through pages and pages of posts over the last 2-3 weeks I believe that you lose the Nav info and the radio display (radio station, what song is playing). Still new to these cars though so maybe a more seasoned veteran can confirm.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM
TimATC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
I figure that the guy who designed the IS bearings in 996s got re-assigned to the PCM team. .
That made me LOL!!

Thanks for the input, think I'm going ahead with the full system.

Quick Reply: No phone buttons, need Bluetooth. Upgrade PCM or entire system?