Cayenne Diesel Ammonia smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:20 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Cayenne Diesel Ammonia smell in cabin

Hi,

I occasionally smell ammonia in the cabin of my Diesel. I just had a loaner diesel and never once smelled ammonia.
Anyone know of an issue that I would cause the Adblue to be smelled in the cabin?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple things to check: 1) any spilled AdBlue around the tank and 2) make sure the AdBlue cover/stopper is firmly on and the seal is tight. When I added some fluid at the last oil change, I recall thinking just how tight the cap was and that it was a good thing.

You may also check if the odor is stronger the closer you get to the tank, indicating some sort of leak or poor seal. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The Dealership seems to think this is a known issue with the AC system. They say there is a fix for this. fingers crossed.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Farmer Michael
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Not looking to make you anxious but one of our tractors, a Fendt 939, smelt of ammonia and it was traced to a leaking Adblue injector. The Adblue was leaking on the outside of the exhaust and the lump of urea that had crystallised out was the size of a football so it maybe worth checking the exhaust. hope it is your known a/c issue - good luck!

Michael
Old 02-14-2014, 05:32 PM
phL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

having designed pumps and valves for that nasty stuff, i can tell you, it loves to creep, permeate and penetrate. ... it will eat up metals, (even some SS), degenerate sealings (except HNBR), it will expand in a strange way when frozen, unlike other fluids, it will crystallize when exposed to air and heat, and oh, it will stink

bring it in and have it checked. edit: you did. fingers crossed

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Ammonia smell in cabin