Sponsored by:

Headlight flicker, getting longer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM
06CayenneS
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight flicker, getting longer

I have an '06 Cayenne S with Xenon lights. When I purchased a year ago it was showing an intermittent check dipped beam error on start up. Late last fall I also got an error on the corner light. Then I started to get some headlight flicker when hitting bumps. Usually small, hard bumps, not big dips.

I did some research and checked the wiring harnesses. Sure enough, they needed to be replaced. I've replaced the harnesses and one headlight tray.

Now, on start up I still get the check left corner light message but nothing more about the dipped beam. However, my flicker has gotten worse. The lights now die and stay off momentarily before coming back on.

It is happening to both headlights at the same time.
It's on low beam (not sure about high beam).

I don't think it's the harnesses or connectors at the lights as both are shutting down and coming back on.
The headlights still seem bright and true to color so I don't *think* it's the bulbs but I've never replaced HID bulbs before.

I understand it could be the headlight switch itself. I also understand there are some sensors that could be causing this.

Looking for next steps to take and/or things I can look into my self--I'm definitely at the novice end of things.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May not be related but how old is your battery? Strange things happen when the battery is getting weak. Did you replace the pig tails on the harness? Make sure that the lights are seated all the way back and that they make a "click" when tight. Be persistent, you will find the short or bad connection.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Make sure the headlight mounting brackets are tight. There are 10mm bolts on the front of the brackets that come loose with time/use.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:15 PM
06CayenneS
4th Gear

Thanks.

Battery is less than a year old. And problem has happened all along but also changed to include the flicker and the flicker is getting worse.

One bracket and tray is brand new. I will check the other but thought that would have been obvious when the harnesses were changed out (the insulation on the old wires was really toasty).
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM
06CayenneS
4th Gear

I also thought about the fuse but it looks like each headlight has its own fuse so it seems unlikely that a loose or failing fuse would cause both headlights to flicker or go off.

Seems like it has to be something both have in common like the switch. Is there anything else I am overlooking that might be prone to fail?
Old 05-27-2016, 02:07 AM
Edward 96 Viper GTS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

was the problem resolved? what was the cause?

Quick Reply: Headlight flicker, getting longer