Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class Action Settlement for coolant pipes is official

Old 12-15-2013, 05:14 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seafeye
If Porsche continued to make the coolant pipes out of plastic they may have avoided the law suit. But because they made the replacement better and out of aluminum is almost a admission that they produced a defective product.

Exactly, amen to the above statement.
Hope Porsche doesn't repeat this stupid business exercise again in the future, but once again, the penalty Porsche has received wasn't big enough to teach them a lesson IMHO, which has been the biggest problem in the US justice system.
Sorta encouraging people/companies to do bad stuff more as the penalties aren't typically high enough to dis-encourage people/companies to repeat the same offense in the future.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM
OakBeach
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my settlement paperwork, it looks my 06 CS w/ 50,000 mile is eligible for $375 if I have the work done at Porsche dealership either before or after a leak.
My question, Does anyone have pricing in NY area for replacement pipes at a dealership?

I'm thinking my independent would charge about $500 -$600 labor and around $550 for the kit from ECS. Do you think a dealer would come at less than $1500?

If not, I'll be more than happy to have Elitemotorsports continue to work on the P!G.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OakBeach
I received my settlement paperwork, it looks my 06 CS w/ 50,000 mile is eligible for $375 if I have the work done at Porsche dealership either before or after a leak.
My question, Does anyone have pricing in NY area for replacement pipes at a dealership?

I'm thinking my independent would charge about $500 -$600 labor and around $550 for the kit from ECS. Do you think a dealer would come at less than $1500?

If not, I'll be more than happy to have Elitemotorsports continue to work on the P!G.
Excuse my ignorance but, I have a couple of questions after searching around various forums: it is as follows:

How can I get such lawsuit paperwork ?
From Whom I should get feedback to proceed with this lawsuit?
Am I going to get this just because I own '06 cayenne which falls into this category?

A couple of months ago I joined class action (topclassaction.com) just getting one email every month about future class actions closings.

I don't know if I'm walking in the right direction regarding this issue. I replaced the coolant pipes last December by my own. I really enjoyed the work at home...but not my wallet.

Hope my questions helps other members having the same doubts.

TIA
Ruben
Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 PM
OakBeach
7th Gear

Jochy,
If you replaced the pipes yourself, you get nothing from the settlement. If your car is 2003 to 2006 you are part of the settlement but the work has to be done at a dealership. If you bought the car new or certified from a dealership you could get up to $1800 depending on miles. If you had the work done at a dealership prior to Dec 12th on a non certified car you can get $450. If you didn't have the pipes done yet on a non new car you can $375 if work is again done at dealership.

I hope that sums it up.

Sorry for the bad news
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If your car is 2003 to 2006 you are part of the settlement but the work has to be done at a dealership.
I read my paperwork (I thought) closely last night looking for this statement and couldn't find it. Please point to where that appears.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Jochy,
If you replaced the pipes yourself, you get nothing from the settlement. If your car is 2003 to 2006 you are part of the settlement but the work has to be done at a dealership. If you bought the car new or certified from a dealership you could get up to $1800 depending on miles. If you had the work done at a dealership prior to Dec 12th on a non certified car you can get $450. If you didn't have the pipes done yet on a non new car you can $375 if work is again done at dealership.

I hope that sums it up.

Sorry for the bad news
OakBeach,

Definedlty you answered all my questions. Unfortunately I will not get a dime
After expending nearly $700 in parts, materials and beers during this labor I just feel betrayed by Porsche.

Is like when you did not got What you've paid for...

I really appreciate your comments OakBeach,

I think I'm going for another beer after work.. today Monday....
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM
OakBeach
7th Gear

Page 4 & 5 says;
Must be replaced with genuine porsche aluminum pipes at an authorized Porsche dealership to be eligible for benefit.

I wish I could just put the $375 toward the parts and have an Indy do the work.

This just doesn't seem to worth the paper it's written on.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

That stipulation is in options (2) & (3), but not for (1) Past Coolant Pipe Repair before 12/12/13 on a CPO vehicle.

We'll see.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:47 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Designer
I read my paperwork (I thought) closely last night looking for this statement and couldn't find it. Please point to where that appears.
Ditto.. I just re-read it. There is no clause restricting reimbursement to only repairs performed by a dealership.

None, zilch, nada.. Your friendly local independent's bill for the repairs can be used as evidence of the repair being performed.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Designer
That stipulation is in options (2) & (3), but not for (1) Past Coolant Pipe Repair before 12/12/13 on a CPO vehicle.

We'll see.
It's also not in option (1) for a non-CPO vehicle. The language is quite clear.

IF you had the repair done before 12/12/2013 by a dealer OR independent you qualify for reimbursement.

IF you haven't had the repair done before 12/12/2013 you can apply for reimbursement for having the repairs done at a dealer.

Seems a simple idea - they're trying to drive the future repairs to the dealerships.

Looking at table #1 - what's interesting is the difference in payment for Past vs Future replacement/repairs - it almost appears as if they expect the dealers to do the repairs for less $$ in the future (not unknown in the auto world - let the dealer eat some of the cost.)

In Option #1 - both CPO and Non-CPO, they leave Porsche the option of covering some portion of collateral damages - caused by the bursting or leakage. I suspect that means if starter and/or torque-converter seal replacement were required due to the failure they may agree to cover some of that expense above and beyond the basic pipe replacement cost.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM
OakBeach
7th Gear

You guys are correct. I really only concentrated on the part that I fell under then assumed that they all went that way.

My CS was used an not purchased with a CPO from a Porsche dealer, so I fall under page 5, B2 or B3. I can get $375 for the repair if done at a Porsche dealership.

Does anyone have a cost estimate for this work at Porsche dealership?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

So it looks like that, with my car that I bought at a used car lot with no warranty, I will only get 25% of my $1555. repair bill, which is $388. (Max to $450.) No Soup for Me!

I don't care about the money that much though, because this car is still friggin' awesome.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 151 Posts

Not sure why but I got three of the notices in various versions of my name and address. Maybe one from the dealer i bought it from and the two others that did maintenance?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Originally Posted by Tedster
Not sure why but I got three of the notices in various versions of my name and address. Maybe one from the dealer i bought it from and the two others that did maintenance?
I also received 3, 2 addressed to me, and 1 to my wife.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I received two at separate addresses on different days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class Action Settlement for coolant pipes is official