Sponsored by:

Refreshed 2015 Cayenne diesel vs the 2014 BMW X5 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refreshed 2015 Cayenne diesel vs the 2014 BMW X5 diesel

I am on the fence whether to order the new X5 diesel or wait for the facelifted 2015 Cayenne diesel. When do you think the 2015 Cayenne and the details of the refresh will be unveiled? Will it likely be at a future auto show, if so which one?

If the Cayenne gets the 300+ hp (Audi) diesel and Porsche freshens up the cabin Cayenne's cabin to look a bit more like the Macan, then it will be an easy decision. I know the new Cayenne is getting the Macan steering wheel, but hopefully more.

Anyone compared the Cayenne's 14 way adj. seat to the X5's multi contour seat? Are they equally as comfortable?

The option on the BMW that sways me the most is the HUD. Most BMW owners that have it say they will not drive another vehicle without it. I guess Porsche doesn't believe in the HUD tech.

The BMW as a daily driver just seems so much larger than the Cayenne. The looks of the X5 have not been warmly received, but the M Sport version in space grey looks very nice in person.

Any info to help my decision is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the MY switch is early spring so late spring would be about the time they are on the road in the US.

There won't be drastic changes and you should look to the recent Pan changes for an idea. We know the head lights and tail lights will be changed a bit as well as some other minor cosmetic changes. There will probably be some interior changes, but they won't be major either. What the 958 looks like inside and out now is essentially what it will look like for the 2015 refresh, just tweaked here and there.

We know the diesel engine is getting a bump (280 I think and I think the torque goes to the 420s). Not that it's relevant here, but I expect the base and S will get smaller turbo motors too.

Don't expect the Macan's steering wheel in the Cayenne any time soon. That is the PDK wheel and the Cayenne will not be getting a PDK as they don't believe it can stand up to the towing the Cayenne is rated for. It will still have a Sport wheel option like it does now that looks similar to the PDK wheel, but is slightly different.

I haven't been in the new X5 (it was my other option before getting my CD), but BMW has always given you two seat options. Crap and sport. As discussed in the seat thread seats are entirely personal (both in taste and fit), but the non-sport BMW seats are generally considered to be unsupportive and like sitting on a bench. The sport seats have always been pretty decent. I won't own a BMW without sport seats. I'm happy with my 14s, but I wish I had gotten the 18s like I wanted as I prefer the "held in" feel they offer. I would say the 14s are equivalent to the BMW sport seats in how well they hold you and maybe a bit better for adjustability.

For me the deciding factor was how the two vehicles drove. BMW still touts their "ultimate diving machine" line, but the X5 is a prime example of that not being the case anymore. Not that they don't have some good cars, but they all just keep getting fatter and more wallow-y in my opinion. The Cayenne on the other hand defies logic in how well it handles (even without PASM/Air/PDCC/PTV) given how big it is. The X5 might be able to compete with a comparable Cayenne in straight line runs, but when you start throwing it around is where the Cayenne outshines any other SUV.

Porsche will have HUD sooner or later because that's what things seem to be going to, but they will be very late and it will be an expensive option (just look at what they still charge for the PCM when Nav is standard (or much cheaper) in all it's competition). Personally I find HUD distracting since it is in my direct line of sight, but that's me.

Drive an X5 and the go drive a current Cayenne. You'll see the difference and that isn't going to get worse at the refresh.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:21 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think the " macans" steering wheel is exclusive to the model. I bet it will be available across the board.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

The only time I miss our BMW 7 series is when I want to adjust the seats a little more than the Cayenne can adjust.
But I find I don't reach that point in the Cayenne as often as I did in the BMW.

For reference, I often drive 10 or 12 hours in a day, and drive about 50,000 km a year.
My vehicle seats are very important to me

As to difference in driving the X-5 vs the Cayenne - the Cayenne is much more enjoyable to drive for me.
The interior is a much more enjoyable place to be.

Keeps on coming down to value for what we pay for the vehicle.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:42 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Had a new Corvette with the HUD and thought it was kind of cool for a while but after a few track days I realized I wasn't using it. It really is more of a gimmick. It is useful for quick glances at speed without looking down but for more aggressive driving it is a gee wiz marketing gimmick and one more thing to go wrong.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:55 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I believe the MY switch is early spring so late spring would be about the time they are on the road in the US.

There won't be drastic changes and you should look to the recent Pan changes for an idea. We know the head lights and tail lights will be changed a bit as well as some other minor cosmetic changes. There will probably be some interior changes, but they won't be major either. What the 958 looks like inside and out now is essentially what it will look like for the 2015 refresh, just tweaked here and there.

We know the diesel engine is getting a bump (280 I think and I think the torque goes to the 420s). Not that it's relevant here, but I expect the base and S will get smaller turbo motors too.

Don't expect the Macan's steering wheel in the Cayenne any time soon. That is the PDK wheel and the Cayenne will not be getting a PDK as they don't believe it can stand up to the towing the Cayenne is rated for. It will still have a Sport wheel option like it does now that looks similar to the PDK wheel, but is slightly different.

I haven't been in the new X5 (it was my other option before getting my CD), but BMW has always given you two seat options. Crap and sport. As discussed in the seat thread seats are entirely personal (both in taste and fit), but the non-sport BMW seats are generally considered to be unsupportive and like sitting on a bench. The sport seats have always been pretty decent. I won't own a BMW without sport seats. I'm happy with my 14s, but I wish I had gotten the 18s like I wanted as I prefer the "held in" feel they offer. I would say the 14s are equivalent to the BMW sport seats in how well they hold you and maybe a bit better for adjustability.

For me the deciding factor was how the two vehicles drove. BMW still touts their "ultimate diving machine" line, but the X5 is a prime example of that not being the case anymore. Not that they don't have some good cars, but they all just keep getting fatter and more wallow-y in my opinion. The Cayenne on the other hand defies logic in how well it handles (even without PASM/Air/PDCC/PTV) given how big it is. The X5 might be able to compete with a comparable Cayenne in straight line runs, but when you start throwing it around is where the Cayenne outshines any other SUV.

Porsche will have HUD sooner or later because that's what things seem to be going to, but they will be very late and it will be an expensive option (just look at what they still charge for the PCM when Nav is standard (or much cheaper) in all it's competition). Personally I find HUD distracting since it is in my direct line of sight, but that's me.

Drive an X5 and the go drive a current Cayenne. You'll see the difference and that isn't going to get worse at the refresh.
I agree with most of this. The 2015 will likely see the same steering wheel option as Macan but other than that the inside will be physically the same as what it is now with exception to a few current options that may appear in the car as standard equipment. I would also expect the new V6D to get the new uprated engine if diesel is what you are looking for. I would be very surprised if it didnt given BMW's new revised 3.0 diesel.

I would agree the seats in the BM are not nearly as good in standard form and are like sitting on a flat school chair with a short seat swab which you wind up sliding out of going around corners. We ended up choosing the sports in ours after driving the two. The standard seats are very basic seating arrangements IMO and you can see that. The BM sports seats are most definitely the better option if you decide to go for the BM but I wouldn't compare them with the Porsche 18 ways that's for sure. I've owned BM suvs, in fact our last was a BM again, but to compare it to the Cayenne we have now is simply no comparison imho. The BM drives like rubbish and feels like rubbish compared to the Porsche imho. The cayenne is simply just a far superior drive and a better car everywhere. Even if whatever variant you decide on winds up with lesser power than the BM it won't matter because the Porsche will satisfy more in the long run.

I've had a good look at the new X5 and for me it does't do any more for me than the last one but to each his own on that. GL with your decision OP but if money is not an obstacle then quite frankly it is a no brainer if you ask me so just get the Cayenne and be done with it. The hardest part of anything is having to pay for it and once that's out of the way then you can look back on the decision knowing you made the right move. Cheers.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
The hardest part of anything is having to pay for it and once that's out of the way then you can look back on the decision knowing you made the right move. Cheers.
This is true. The X5d that was my alternate came in 15k less than my CD which was already way beyond what I wanted to pay. Since it was delivered I haven't considered the extra cost. I love my P!g and am glad I picked it regardless of the extra money. The X5 would have filled the need driving the purchase just fine, but I doubt I'd be in love with it (e30s are the only BMWs that I love, but that's a painful rust riddled relationship...).
Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
I agree with most of this. The 2015 will likely see the same steering wheel option as Macan but other than that the inside will be physically the same as what it is now with exception to a few current options that may appear in the car as standard equipment. I would also expect the new V6D to get the new uprated engine if diesel is what you are looking for. I would be very surprised if it didnt given BMW's new revised 3.0 diesel.

The "revised" diesel from X5 is actually a step back both in power and torque. The previous twin-turbo diesel was 265 hp and 425 lb.-ft. torque, the new one is a de-tuned single turbo with 255 hp and 413 lb-ft. Revised indeed, going backwards...

They put the same engine in 535d, well, in Europe that engine powers the 530d for a reason, it is not worthy of the 535 badge /rant.

P.S. The xDrive35d is called xDrive30d in Europe, bastards!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:50 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
The "revised" diesel from X5 is actually a step back both in power and torque. The previous twin-turbo diesel was 265 hp and 425 lb.-ft. torque, the new one is a de-tuned single turbo with 255 hp and 413 lb-ft. Revised indeed, going backwards...

They put the same engine in 535d, well, in Europe that engine powers the 530d for a reason, it is not worthy of the 535 badge /rant.

P.S. The xDrive35d is called xDrive30d in Europe, bastards!
Out here the BM x5 diesels are badged 30D which is 190Kw/560nms and 40D which is the same 3.0 litre engine but has twin turbos at 230kw and 650nms. Maybe BM expects Cayenne .2 to bring the 230/650 V6D so have matched the output to stay competitive. Cayenne currently has the V6D 190kw/600nm engine and the 4.2 V8DS 282/850nm which is what we have now. I think the .2 will get the V6D 230/650. That will be a great engine too. Can't beat the power and the economy of the diesels...

Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

not the same size SUV.
X5 is a stuff hauler, square and cavernous. Porsche is way sportier SUV.
Both engines are great diesels. Size, I would go Porsche.
order it now, so you can get it when it comes in.
Porsche seems to think 20 weeks is reasonable.
Aug 1st delivery is only week 31 in the year, plus December.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:50 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. Some say the 2015 is due out as early as spring (with the Macan release), while others say a typical fall delivery. Which time frame is more likely?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
sarends
AutoX

We have a 2011 X5 Xdrive 5.0 (twin turbo V8) with Adaptive Drive and it has the comfort seats - it is a beast of a car. It is the first car we have ever had with HUD, and I for one, love it - it is a little safer not having to glance lower to check speed. I miss having it it in all of our other cars. I also love the comfort seats and sorely wish our 13 Touareg had seats remotely as nice as the X5s.

As I mentioned, we also have a 13 Touareg TDI, which is my work car, and I love it (main gripe is lack of great seats).

I drove a 13 CD and it is a very nice car -it is very similar to our Touareg except 1) the handling is sportier and 2) the 14 way seats are way better. I didn't spend all that much time in the CD but I did play with the seats and they seemed to be similarly adjustable to those in our X5. When we trade the X5 in a year or two more, I will look at the CD or perhaps some version of the Macan. I do not care for the looks of the latest X5 (curse you BMW).

BTW, I like the looks of the Cayenne, but the lines of the Touareg (rear and sides) are (IMO) even better/cleaner (except the front end of the Touareg needs improving).
Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Not a fan at all of new x5.... New Cayenne with Macan details will be amazing.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
paulwbenn
2nd Gear

My wife had an 07 X5 4.8 with the comfort seats option. Great SUV, but the seats were quite poor IMO. She now has a 13 GL 450 and the seats are remarkably more comfortable in the GL.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:51 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SUVp.cay
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. Some say the 2015 is due out as early as spring (with the Macan release), while others say a typical fall delivery. Which time frame is more likely?
I would say fall, just because the 2014 Cayenne Platinum edition was just announced for January production. I cannot see Porsche having a couple of months of Platinum production before switching to 2015.

Quick Reply: Refreshed 2015 Cayenne diesel vs the 2014 BMW X5 diesel