Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne Tailgate Hatch will not open -Fixed

Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM
tommydoo66
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Porsche Cayenne Tailgate Hatch will not open -Fixed

Hello,
I have searched these and other Porsche forums for help on a Tailgate that would not open on a 2008 Cayenne S.
I did not find the answer directly but found some info here to help me resolve issue.
I checked the two tailgate fuses on the right and left dash fuse blocks , both were good.

Symptoms:
Power assist tailgate would not open, stayed shut. Lift motors were running and tailgate became slightly ajar ,about 1mm of play.
There were no means of opening the tailgate, not the door handle nor the button in the driver's door.
I had to open from the inside access panel.
I remove the lock actuator thinking it was the suspect part when when I tested it it worked and tested voltage to the actuator and there was none.

Anyway I read a post here with the same symptoms.

It was the #31 fuse on the right dash fuse block panel- Listed as Central locking system FILLER FLAP. 15 amp

Hope this helps someone.
Tom
The following users liked this post:
simrigvn (11-17-2021)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Great info to know.. thanks much, storing that away in the dark corner of my brain where Cayenne efluvia lives.!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:10 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good one Tom.
Did your filler flap not function with fuse 31 blown as well?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Good one Tom.
Did your filler flap not function with fuse 31 blown as well?

Correct
Had the same on mine
Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Yanni999
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, thanks for posting the fix. Your description of the problem was spot on. I had the same problem on my 2006 **** and the #31 fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and problem solved!
Curious though, do you know the reason for the fuse to blow in the first place? And has it happened again?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 PM
avl151328
1st Gear

Thank you very much! That was exactly my problem.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 PM
working4it
Instructor

Default Rear Hatch wont Open!

Hey All,

Every so often my hatch would not open or close correctly. So I ordered a new lock actuator (from PelicanParts) and wouldnt you know it the last time i used it the hatch wont unlock. I removed the inside plastric trim piece, disconnected the lever and with a screw driver tried to move the latch. It will move a little bit but will not unlock....any thoughts?

2004 Cayenne S
Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM
TeleChristopher
1st Gear

Default *bump

I have an '06 with similar issue. Fuses seem to be OK. All servos and motors seem to be working just fine. I can touch the handle on the trunk lid and it will release (actually make the trunk lid ajar) but will not release to open. I have to open the glass hatch and reach through for the release from inside the trunk lid to open.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:53 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Yanni999
Tom, thanks for posting the fix. Your description of the problem was spot on. I had the same problem on my 2006 **** and the #31 fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and problem solved!
Curious though, do you know the reason for the fuse to blow in the first place? And has it happened again?
Fuses can themselves be bad. Not often though. More likely what happens is the motor doing the lifting is going bad, or the mechanism is binding just enough to cause the motor to draw more current. Eventually that increased drain blows the fuse. I'd have the lift mechanism inspected/serviced and be ready for some parts replacing in the near future.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The owner's manual says the first thing that stops working when the battery charge is weak is the tailgate lift motor. The latch solenoid will pull in, but the gate won't lift. Charge the battery. If the lift works then but stops working again in days or weeks, it may be time to replace your battery. I know it seems odd that the engine will still start, but the tail gate won't open, but that's EXACTLY what happened with our 957 Cayenne S when the battery wouldn't hold a charge (old).

As for the fuse being the fix... fuses don't blow for no reason. Carry spares and keep fingers crossed that watever caused the fust to blow the first time was just a fluke and it doesn't happen again. You may be dealing with a high-resistance electrical contact or ground somewhere in the lift motor circuit.
The following users liked this post:
Mthi (05-22-2023)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Well replaced battery with Bosch AGM and checked my Fuse 31 and nada for me. Going in for service at the dealer on Friday, so pretty sure they're going to charge me $500 to replace the whole thing...ugh. Anyone have any other ideas to try?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Bump if anyone has any ideas?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Cayenne_Ben
Advanced

Originally Posted by TeleChristopher
I have an '06 with similar issue. Fuses seem to be OK. All servos and motors seem to be working just fine. I can touch the handle on the trunk lid and it will release (actually make the trunk lid ajar) but will not release to open. I have to open the glass hatch and reach through for the release from inside the trunk lid to open.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Hey there,

Just came across your post about your tailgate not opening. Were you able to resolve it? Mine is currently ajar and I can't get it to open, nor can I fully latch it. Driving around with the "hatch open" warning beep is incredibly annoying. I can hear the servo when I try to operate the hatch with the handle but I just can't get it to fully release. Also, how ere you able to open it from the inside? I've taken off the little plastic cover and I can see the actuator arm move when I operate the handle, but nothing I do seems to release it. Mine is an '04 by the way.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Cayenne_Ben
Advanced

Hey there,

Just came across your post about your tailgate not opening. Were you able to resolve it? Mine is currently ajar and I can't get it to open, nor can I fully latch it. Driving around with the "hatch open" warning beep is incredibly annoying. I can hear the servo when I try to operate the hatch with the handle but I just can't get it to fully release. I've taken off the little plastic cover and I can see the actuator arm move when I operate the handle, but nothing I do seems to release it. Mine is an '04 by the way.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Ben, dunno if he's gonna see this - last time he was on the forum was 07-30-2014 - about 4+ years ago. I'm going to combine this thread with the already existing thread on the topic. Hang on..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Tailgate Hatch will not open -Fixed