Sponsored By:

dash top chrono/clock harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Sean Wheeler
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash

They did say that since i have a newer car 2012 just a flash was required.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:02 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask my new dealer about it.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean, I just got my 2011 Cayenne turbo and I want to do this as well but I have no clock there at all, only the big Bose center channel speaker grill. Questions:

1) Do you know if I can do it if I have no current clock?
2) What about having the Bose Audio system? I haven't lifted the grill area, but I thought the Bose center channel speaker was bigger than that.
3) All in all, what was your total cost for adding this?

Also, mine is a 2011 Turbo, so I am not sure if the reflash will work on mine or not. If by new your dealer meant that they made an ECU change between 2011 and 2012 I may be done for...
Thanks Sean or anyone else that knows!

Robert
Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Sean Wheeler
8th Gear

Default Dash top clock

Ok, a few things. First the cover that is over the Bose center speaker just pops off and the new cover with clock fits in it's place. Very easy to install. You can buy the system from several different place. eBay is a great place to start. Make sure you get the clock, cover and wire harness for the unit. The cost is around $850.00. It only takes 30 minutes or so in install. The dealership will not need to flash the ECU if you just want the clock to operate. It will do this once to hook it up to the ECU. The flash would be for the stopwatch function. Check with your dealer on the 2011 model year.

Here is the eBay item #190892364132 from a company called smart motoring.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you sir!

Well, the way that ad makes it sound, this sport chrono is compatible with every single Cayenne built, so the wiring add-on they give you must splice into something to connect it to the ECU.

So is this the one you bought? Does the second hand of the small clock have the annoying tick everyone talks about, or does the sport chrono avoid that?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, I almost forgot...I wouldn't bother with this for just the clock. The look without it is very sleek and elegant, almost looks like the runway path you are approaching in this bird...lol! I would add this for the functionality. It sounds like it's NOT attached to my Sport button in any way which is too bad (I think the 997's or 991's are connected), but I think the stopwatch and the digital clock would be awesome.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Sean Wheeler
8th Gear

Yes, the wire harness connects to the back of the ECU to the same 4 color wires. Very easy. The clock is very quiet. I can't here any noise of the ticking hand. I know that was an issue with the older models.

Yes, this is the same unit i purchased. It's been a few months and the unit works perfectly. The clock is an OEM Porsche unit.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good news! I'll get on this soon!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:10 AM
TGED
Instructor

What about the back lighting for the clock, does it work as well?
The following users liked this post:
Wallace1972 (11-27-2022)
Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 AM
jeneria
1st Gear

Default ECU or PCM?

Originally Posted by Sean Wheeler
Yes, the wire harness connects to the back of the ECU to the same 4 color wires. Very easy. The clock is very quiet. I can't here any noise of the ticking hand. I know that was an issue with the older models.

Yes, this is the same unit i purchased. It's been a few months and the unit works perfectly. The clock is an OEM Porsche unit.
maybe ECU means PCM or CDR, right?
or it point real ECU unit?
Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 PM
BobGardner
3rd Gear

I just got a chrono. Thanks to Gnat, his pinout let me hook my kvaser can logger up to the canh and canl on the chrono and record several files full of can IDs. Trouble is, when I play them back on the bench, the chrono doesnt wake up and respond. Onething Stoopid old Bob fergot to check was is the red wire REALLY 5V? If it is, its the ONLY automotive gadjet I've ever seen that doesnt run from 12V. If gnat ever gets to Orlando, its dinner on me if he can take his meter out to the car for me and confirm. I want to make a little can controller to control it. Anyone got ANY Porsche CAN IDs? I'll post my 500K log file if you are interested. If I knew the chrono IDs were in the 0x500 range for instance, that would let me narrow the search. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:04 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BobGardner
I just got a chrono. Thanks to Gnat, his pinout let me hook my kvaser can logger up to the canh and canl on the chrono and record several files full of can IDs. Trouble is, when I play them back on the bench, the chrono doesnt wake up and respond. Onething Stoopid old Bob fergot to check was is the red wire REALLY 5V? If it is, its the ONLY automotive gadjet I've ever seen that doesnt run from 12V. If gnat ever gets to Orlando, its dinner on me if he can take his meter out to the car for me and confirm. I want to make a little can controller to control it. Anyone got ANY Porsche CAN IDs? I'll post my 500K log file if you are interested. If I knew the chrono IDs were in the 0x500 range for instance, that would let me narrow the search. Thanks for reading.
Haha! That rocks. I for one would LOVE to study the CAN messages in a 958 as there are things I'd like to figure out. I'll even pop open my dash again to help (damn grill is a PITA to get back in place).

I want to put a controller in that does a better job of remembering settings than Porsche felt the need to (disabling parking sensors, re-enabling sport mode, etc..) and some other tweaks would be nice too if possible (closing the tailgate from the fob or driver's door, windows up/down from the fob, etc..). I've got the programming skills and basic electronics experience to make a go of it, but I only know the theory of CAN and that Porsche has actually made it a bit of a PITA in the 958s.

We should probably move such discussions to a separate thread though.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:51 AM
ndx
Racer

There is no "flash" it just need to be enabled/activated

As for CAN commands. Only usefull things are PIDS for let say tranny temp.
You need to write to ECU doing it manually would require you desiring eeprom. And changing hex by hand.

Doable but quiet risk if you don't have anything to compare.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:00 AM
carlos50
Instructor

I am considering the upgrade with "just the clock" as I think it looks really cool and not having the time on show for passengers sucks. Ive heard about the PCM update to add the time onto the bottom line but it will be small and I just think the dash top clock will be great.

I can buy the clock with the panel trim easily enough for circa £300 GBP but the seller doesnt have the harness, anyone know the part number and rough price for it from Porsche?

Also, Im under Porsche warranty, will I be ok to DIY this because its genuine Porsche parts or will they kick up a fuss because its not factory fit?

Im quite nervous about having to remove the PCM unit, is it a must or can the cable be plugged in from behind without removal and is plugging in very obvious without the need to splice into existing harnesses etc?

Thanks

Car
Old 11-22-2014, 10:26 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by carlos50
Also, Im under Porsche warranty, will I be ok to DIY this because its genuine Porsche parts or will they kick up a fuss because its not factory fit? Im quite nervous about having to remove the PCM unit, is it a must or can the cable be plugged in from behind without removal and is plugging in very obvious without the need to splice into existing harnesses etc? Thanks Car
In the USA we have legal protections that allow us to modify our cars without the dealer complaining (they have to prove that the mod is at fault for the reported problem), but I have no idea in your neck of the woods.

Since you don't have a dash clock already you most likely don't have the harness which means that the PCM will have to come out and you'll need to do some splicing.

As far as a passenger visible time, you can configure the CAR screen to show the current time if I remember correctly (not much use if you use other PCM screens though).

Quick Reply: dash top chrono/clock harness