Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this my front diff making noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Lavalamp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this my front diff making noise?

2004 Cayenne S

I was going to post a video of the sound, but it seems like I missed the record button on my phone earlier when making it happen.

The noise happens when I floor it from a stop or if I get on the goes moderately on an uphill incline. It used to only make one clack sound to maybe three clacks if I really got on it or was going uphill at the same time. Now it seems like it makes the noise more easily with less throttle and is more than a couple clack sounds and really sounds like grinding gears if I really get on it.

I'm pretty sure it's not the CV joints as there's no noise from slow tight lock turns or anything like that.

I've read through several threads on here about people replacing their diff but they mentioned a constant sound while driving as if a tooth was broken. I'm guessing mine can just be really worn or something not aligned right.

It really sounds like it's coming from the left side wheel, or maybe the middle, but definitely about front axle level.

I can get a diff relatively cheap and I hear it's a PITA to replace, but I'm wondering what would happen if I don't fix it and let the gears grind down or whatever. Would I still be able to drive and essentially just have RWD, or would the PSM or something make it not work altogether? (PSM light does not flash when the noise occurs)
Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Diff noise is normally a higher pitched whining type of sound. I have this sound but choose to ignore it or drive above 80 mph or below 69 mph (which is when the whine disappears) since a new one is expensive 8-)

Eric
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, removing the front diff is a major PITA. After replacing with a used diff with considerably lower mileage the noise returned. My plan was to deal with the noise until it went RWD. But the p!g flew before it happened.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Lavalamp
Track Day

So it can just go RWD? I just want to make sure the electronics won't stop it from moving once the front diff totally gives up. I can get one from an '06 with ~70k miles for ~$400, but I have another car in my garage that I'm trying to finish up before I start any other car repairs.

The whining noise doesn't bother me, and really doesn't sound that bad to ne. It's the sound of what I imagine is skipping gear teeth that's really bad, though it doesn't seem to affect drivability it is a little embarrassing.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Lavalamp
Track Day

Anyone?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Jeremy Cottrell
Advanced

Any resolution on this? Was it a bad diff?

Quick Reply: Is this my front diff making noise?