Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make 21" all season tires?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Gages
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.

Even having to replace at 20k miles, better option than swapping tires 2x per year.

How are the DW06s for summer use versus the Michelins?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Go with the Conti Extreme Contact DWS. I just spent four days in snow and ice and all kinds of conditions and the Contis were great. 600 miles over a bunch of mountain passes in all kinds of conditions. Yesterday, we had a ton of ice and slush to navigate up a steep incline to get out of our neighborhood. No problems at all.

For the last two seasons, I previously had Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows , so I wasn't expecting the Contis to perform even close. I was favorably surprised. They will be my winter tires from now on. I am going to run Michelin Super Sports the other three seasons.

Cheers,
TomF
When I started this thread 4 years ago, there were no all seasons available. The deal I was working on for the Cayenne GTS fell through and I bought a new BMW X3 35i instead. I'm happy to hear the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires do well in the snow because two years later I ended up buying a low mileage 996 TurboS and it came with the DWS all season tires. They've never seen snow (and never will) but I can say they do very well in the dry (for all season tires). My TTS is pushing almost 600 HP so the DWS's should be able to take your Cayenne into the spring season as well if you choose. I have another dedicated summer set, but let's just say I've tested the DWS tires in the dry. You've tested them in the snow, so this should cover the seasons.

You can see the Conti's here:
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2017, 11:23 PM
moosehead
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IME the Conti DWS does much better in deep snow than anyone would think for an all season. We drive CO high alpine passes all winter for skiing. They also do well in the dry, as half our winter driving is dry pavement at speed. At some point leaving them on year round would wear out their snow rating so would not suggest doing one set.

As the saying goes, much cheaper to have a separate winter wheelset and proper rubber than to have an accident. FWIW I put Pirelli Scorpions on dedicated 19" OEM wheelset on my wife's Cayenne GTS, 21's for rest of year. YMMV.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:52 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by nychase
Tom,

Gonna be moving to Wisconsin soon. I bought the pig with summer's on there with plenty of tread left. With everyone's advice I thought I would get a winter setup on Blizzak's on 19's (CTTS so no 18's) so I did. However, reviews are starting to make me think I could have just gone to DWS's for winter and called it a day.

If you were me would you just:
1) Buy DWS's and use full year knowing excessive road use and spirited driving will limit their abilities in subsequent winters
2) keep the summer 21's/ winter 19's setup I've got or
3) dump the winter 19's and switch to 21 DWS and 21 summer (I actually have another set of factory 21's which is why this option isn't completely out of the question).
Great comments everyone!

To respond to the questions above, I would keep the summer/ winter tire set you have. If money is no object, I would go with number 3.

The DWS tires are great in the snow until they wear past the S wear indicator, and then they are just wet and dry tires. The best of all worlds is to have a dedicated winter tire setup and a summer (3 seasons for us in wet and mild Seattle) setup. I should get 3-4 years out of the DWS's with winter use and I'll get fantastic performance out of the Michelin Pilot SS's for a couple of years.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by moosehead
At some point leaving them on year round would wear out their snow rating so would not suggest doing one set.

As the saying goes, much cheaper to have a separate winter wheelset and proper rubber than to have an accident.
+1

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-24-2017, 08:05 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Another all Season in the 295 size I came across was the Lexani LX-Twenty, I saw on another thread that I think they had a similar design to the Michelins.

Saw the thirties referenced here and seemed to be comparable to the Pirellis https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-s-tires.html not sure if the twenties are a downgrade or upgrade but the thirties weren't available in 295 from what I saw

Probably not gonna go with them but just trying to throw all the options out there. I saw a few at 120-140 shipped.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:17 AM
Kdavis61
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Put 295/35/21 Conti DWS06 on my Cayenne yesterday right before we had an ice storm, I had them on my 2012 X5 but I never got the chance to drive that in the winter. Now that I've had some expirrence in the snow/ice I can say that exceeded my expectations immensely. My neighborhood has very steep hills and I saw two Tahoes and a bunch of little cars stuck. My Cayenne hauled right by with no issues. I didn't slip once, the ABS never had to brake for me either. Very pleased.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 PM
vtgt
Pro

Slightly off topic from the tread title, but my local Costco is offering the Michelin latitude sports for around 1k installed. I guess completion has driven the price down, or maybe there is a new model coming as I paid ~450 ea installed a few years ago.

Man they grip so well, but then only lasted 20k max from my experience. Decisions decisions.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:10 PM
vtgt
Pro

Well it’s been about a year and I need some new tires. Where are you guys finding the best prices on the DWS? Best I’ve seen so far is a vendor on eBay for $1100 shipped.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM
vtgt
Pro

Default pirelli scorpion zero a/s?

Just blew out my right rear. Time to order tires ASAP.

Anyone try the newer pirelli Scorpion zero a/s plus? About $250 a tire from discount tire vs ~300 for the DWS. Unless there is anything else I should consider?

Last edited by vtgt; 11-02-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Scorpions on my car. They do pretty good. $250 per wheel is a really good price.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
- Is now available at 295/35R21, can’t wait to get these instead of DWS06 next time around.
Anyone got these yet? Feedback?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone make 21" all season tires?