Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer AVIC X940BT Installed

Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC X940BT Installed

Last week I started getting a PCM error telling me that the navi, amp, Sirius and CD changer weren't available. I was able to get things working again by hitting 1-4-8 on the keypad but after doing that several times it finally stopped working. After a bit of troubleshooting the technician told me that the amplifier had croaked.

Since a replacement amp costs $1,200 I figured I should just bite the bullet and install an aftermarket headunit and get all the new features like nav, iPod integration, Bluetooth, etc. I went with the Pioneer AVIC X940BT and I couldn't be happier (also got a small digital amp to power the subwoofer and center console speaker.)

Sure, I could've just gotten a used amp from eBay but then I would be stuck with the factory head unit without the iPod integration, Bluetooth and MP3 playback capability. The only thing I had to give up with the Pioneer is that I lost the radio text and navigation prompts on the instrument cluster.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM
jucarbon
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy the instalation Kit

Hi I want to change the radio on my cayenne. Where did you buy the installation kit?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
programmatore
Drifting

The local shop who does the install for high-end cars had the trim piece in stock so I didn't have to shop around for it. I'm not sure who makes it. If you go to eBay you'll find several vendors selling them.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
peterc2609
AutoX

Amp to power the subwoofer and centre console

Is this needed? Are these speakers standard on the cayenne or aftermarket.

I'm thinking of getting the same head unit but didn't expect to have to buy another amp?

Or is it just because your original amp died?

Are you happy with the pioneer?

Did you get a reverse camera?

Do you need a separate cable for full iPhone integration?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Hessian
Intermediate

I dont want to hijack this but I also want to put a newer head unit in the cayenne I'm buying. I'm not electronically gifted so I was looking for an updated OEM unit. Can someone tell me if this unit would work in a 2004-6 Cayenne Turbo? My goal is to plug and play...there is a pic of the connectors on the back of the unit... is this what a standard OEM setup looks like?

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterc2609
Amp to power the subwoofer and centre console

Is this needed? Are these speakers standard on the cayenne or aftermarket.

I'm thinking of getting the same head unit but didn't expect to have to buy another amp?

Or is it just because your original amp died?

Are you happy with the pioneer?

Did you get a reverse camera?

Do you need a separate cable for full iPhone integration?
The headunit has a built-in 4-channel amp. Did I really need another amp to power the subwoofer and center console speaker? Maybe not but I thought it made sense. It also makes it easier to add a bigger aftermarket subwoofer later.

Mine came with the USB and iPod cable so I just plug my iPhone in and I have full control of the phone via the headunit (and can run Pandora and other apps too.)

I just got the non-smoker tray I ordered from Suncoast. I'll be replacing the ash tray so that I can stow the phone in the tray and route the iPod cable behind the console so it is out of the way. I am thinking of installing a backup camera too but still not sure.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
peterc2609
AutoX

Thanks.

I liked the look of your install, so bought it!

Came today.

From reading your comments, I presume that you had an installer fit it for you?

I know at the back of the PCM there is an orange connector with fibre optic cables. I noticed that there is nowhere for this on the AVIC. Any ideas if yours was the same and what happened with that cable?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM
peterc2609
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hessian
I dont want to hijack this but I also want to put a newer head unit in the cayenne I'm buying. I'm not electronically gifted so I was looking for an updated OEM unit. Can someone tell me if this unit would work in a 2004-6 Cayenne Turbo? My goal is to plug and play...there is a pic of the connectors on the back of the unit... is this what a standard OEM setup looks like?

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Cayenn...pd_sim_sbs_e_4
I think that would work, but its cheap chinese rubbish! I just paid 500GBP for the Pioneer AVIC-F940BT or AVIC-X940BT in the USA... so that is around the same price?! No competition really!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

The PCM 2.1 in my 07 911 TT was a POS so I had the Pioneer AVIV Z140BH installed. Great system! I see you're from DC, did you go to Hurley's?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterc2609
Thanks.

I liked the look of your install, so bought it!

Came today.

From reading your comments, I presume that you had an installer fit it for you?

I know at the back of the PCM there is an orange connector with fibre optic cables. I noticed that there is nowhere for this on the AVIC. Any ideas if yours was the same and what happened with that cable?
The reason I went with the AVIC is because my factory amp died and they wanted $1300 for a replacement unit. With the AVIC I was able to get rid of the factory amp -- I powered the front and rear speakers with the built-in amp in the AVIC and powered the subwoofer and center console speaker with a small digital amp. All copper, no fiber optics.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4ocious
The PCM 2.1 in my 07 911 TT was a POS so I had the Pioneer AVIV Z140BH installed. Great system! I see you're from DC, did you go to Hurley's?
Yup, went to Hurley's. Andy is the man!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
Yup, went to Hurley's. Andy is the man!
Hurley's is the only shop in the New England region to get serious audio work done. A bit on the expensive side but you do get quality work.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
Last week I started getting a PCM error telling me that the navi, amp, Sirius and CD changer weren't available. I was able to get things working again by hitting 1-4-8 on the keypad but after doing that several times it finally stopped working. After a bit of troubleshooting the technician told me that the amplifier had croaked.

Since a replacement amp costs $1,200 I figured I should just bite the bullet and install an aftermarket headunit and get all the new features like nav, iPod integration, Bluetooth, etc. I went with the Pioneer AVIC X940BT and I couldn't be happier (also got a small digital amp to power the subwoofer and center console speaker.)

Sure, I could've just gotten a used amp from eBay but then I would be stuck with the factory head unit without the iPod integration, Bluetooth and MP3 playback capability. The only thing I had to give up with the Pioneer is that I lost the radio text and navigation prompts on the instrument cluster.

Steering integration was worked out? Looks nice. I am assuming they ran all new cable for the speakers? I have the old AVIC D1 still ticking. I like the Nav a lot better than the Porsche Nav.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM
peterc2609
AutoX

Hi...

A few questions:

Where was the GPS antenna placed or could you use the Porsche one?
Do you know if they needed to use a new double din cage for the install or did it fit ok without?
Did you buy the seperate iphone cable? If so where was that routed to?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 PM
programmatore
Drifting

The GPS antenna was routed to the back of the vehicle, on the roof, just past the rear hatch. Sat radio antenna is inside the car on the passenger side dashboard.

They used a double-din cage. Not sure how much fitting had to be done.

My Pioneer AVIC came with a USB cable with an iPod cable -- if I take the iPod piece out I can use the USB for other devices. I believe the cable came with AVIC although the installer may have throw it in for free since I am a repeat customer.

I just bought a non-smoker package from Suncoast Imports in Florida. It is an OEM part that replaces the ash tray by the gear lever with a bigger tray (sans lighter socket and ligher). I am going to have the iPod cable routed behind the center console to the tray so I can stow my iPod there full-time (and plug the iPhone in occassionally.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC X940BT Installed