Sponsored by:

My experience with transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
legendrx7
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with transmission issues

A while back my transmission started shifting weirdly and occasionally making the clanking noise while shifting. The PRND lights would all light up on the dash display too. I must say that I was nervous at first, thinking that I was going to have to replace the transmission. This started at the beginning of a 700 mile trip but it made it back home ok.

I did some searching and reading on the different Cayenne forums and found out that more than likely I was going to have to change out the valve body or transmission computer. I decided to first try a fluid change and ordered some fluid I had read about. Anyway, before I changed out the fluid, I went ahead and pulled codes with my Durametric and found several. Engine codes were B3901 - Evap Sys incorrect purge flow, B3D08 - System at Idle Bank 2, P1909 Air Leak between MAF and Throttle Body. Transmission had 1 code and it was 1314 - DME control module

I cleared the codes but they all came back as well as the transmission issues still happening. I looked through the engine compartment for any loose connections in the piping and hoses and ultimately found a cracked hose that runs across the top of the engine near the throttle body. The hose is thin plastic and is corrugated (looks like large diameter wire loom). So, I replaced the cracked hose with a rubber one I found in my garage. I cleared the codes again and took it for a drive. It drove perfectly and has since While I still have the CEL lit for the purge flow issue, it does not cause any driveability issues. I didn't even bother with the fluid change, I'll save it for later.

I did find another thread where a guy was having these transmission issues including the PRND and he said his was all fixed by changing out one of the emissions valves that the airpumps feed into. So, my point is that other issues outside of the transmission may be causing the transmission computer to do weird things to the shifting. Hope this helps someone in the future.
93 RX7, electric car project, Warp 11HV, Soliton 1
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy Schnikeys..............any chance you can take a picture???

I will follow up with my investigation as I am pending his repair and would love to avoid 800-1500 dollar spend.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

OK you were right.... Having the plastic pipe replaced and throttle body cleaned for few hundred bucks instead of 2400 dealer recommended.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Pipe replaced
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 AM
fluellen
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So... did replacing that pipe affect the shifting, cordsig?

Thanks...
Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I had the corrugated pipe replaced (it was cracked) and the throttle body cleaned....it has stopped slippage by 85%. Still does it cold but its much softer and once warm the car pulls hard and strong up to accleration speed goal with full RPMs.

It does do a wee bit on some automatic down shifts but again not as severe.

So yes start there because its 300 bucks.....then decide if you need the replacement solenoid for 800.....then find a local shop to do the labor.

P dealer wanted 2300..
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM
T1MWV
2nd Gear

Default Cayenne Turbo - Code 1314 - PRND

Hi All,

I have the same code 1314 coming up on the system tester 2 and also the dash will display PRND all lit us at once with a gearbox that sounds quite agitated, swapping up and down. You have replaced the corrugated pipe but its not on the Turbo engine. Has anyone replaced the pipe on a Turbo that can tell me where it is please.

Thanks in advance

Tim
Old 12-06-2014, 11:04 PM
khowell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T1MWV
Hi All,

I have the same code 1314 coming up on the system tester 2 and also the dash will display PRND all lit us at once with a gearbox that sounds quite agitated, swapping up and down. You have replaced the corrugated pipe but its not on the Turbo engine. Has anyone replaced the pipe on a Turbo that can tell me where it is please.

Thanks in advance

Tim
Any luck on this?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:28 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Start looking at all of the plastic Vacuum / PVC pipes on the engine. The all get very hard and brittle and any jostling around (changing coil packs/plugs, air filters, etc....) can cause them to crack. Especially the ones around the throttle body and the ones running down both sides of the intake manifold. Also in the back of the engine (with the rear plastic cover off) there is a White Plastic Tee that is also prone to breakage as well as the plastic vacuum lines going from the vacuum pump (on the right by the Coolant tank (seen with the right side plastic cover off)) and going all the way across the back of the engine towards the master cylinder (left hand drive).
Old 12-07-2014, 01:27 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was a turbo and the problem revolved around the hose and valve connected to the secondary air pump.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:43 AM
haverland1975
2nd Gear

Hello, I have issues with my gearbox on Cayenne S 2004. When I start it up cold, it always starts at first gear, nothing wrong here, but when I accelerate and it turns to second gear, it does it with a twitch, not softly. What's wrong? Gearbox about to give up? When switching gears from 2-6 nothing is wrong.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:32 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by haverland1975
Hello, I have issues with my gearbox on Cayenne S 2004. When I start it up cold, it always starts at first gear, nothing wrong here, but when I accelerate and it turns to second gear, it does it with a twitch, not softly. What's wrong? Gearbox about to give up? When switching gears from 2-6 nothing is wrong.
Haver
Start a new thread

Quick Reply: My experience with transmission issues