o2 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM
rbatt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default o2 sensor question

Cayenne 4.5 S 2003 122,000 miles

I haven't used the Cayenne for 10 days and when I tried to start it yesterday there was an odd noise when trying to start it. The recovery mechanic came out and said that the engine was flooded. After a while he got it restarted and I used the car without problem for a couple of hours. I have not had this problem before and this is the first time in 3 years that the car hasn't started.

Today the CEL light is on and the engine feels lumpy. I have just had another recovery mechanic back and 2 fault coded have come up
P0159+ O2 sensor circuit slow response (Bank 2 sensor2)
P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected

The mechanic suggest recovery to Porsche dealership

Any suggestions?
Shall I change the sensor myself?
How easy is this (I have an old fashioned pit for access underneath)
Or shall I just let the Porsche dealership do the work? My only issue with this is that the neared Porsche dealership is 90 minutes away and I know I will end up having to get a train/taxi to go and collect the car.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Access is tight, but it should be doable. An O2 sensor problem will not affect starting though. If you've got a misfire, I would look into ignition coils.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had misfire issues, replaced the spark plugs and pencil coils myself.

Bought the Spark plugs from Suncoast and pencil coils from the dealer. 1 hour project, no experience and not mechanically inclined. Just make sure you let it sit over night to cool.

Once that is done, clear the codes or remove the battery cable for a hard reset to clear codes.

The O2 issue or catalytic convertor happens when temps change in mine, after 4 cycles on and off it usally clears and turns off. Also, you may need a new gas cap too if its got more than 80k miles behind it as the gasket fails often and it causes the 02 error.

I have 130k miles as an original owner of an 06 base.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor question