Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Cayenne with Bose -> add new HU and maybe amp? Options...??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Koen Dries
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2005 Cayenne with Bose -> add new HU and maybe amp? Options...??

2005 Cayenne with Bose -> add new HU and maybe amp? Options...
Hi guys,

I was used to a nice touch screen with bluetooth and iphone connectivity, so that's the only thing I really miss from my previous car Don't miss the diesel noise

I am looking into fitting a Pioneer HU (8400bt) in my Cayenne 2005 with Bose, but to keep the Bose amp, I apparently need to use a 650dollar interface for that route? So maybe upgrading the Bose amp but keep the stock speakers would be a better investment since it would cost about the same or even less???

Or did I miss something?

We will do it ourselves, my best friend is an engineer, so we will be able to fit everything into the Cayenne, but a few questions before we start taking the interior apart to see how it all works :

What I want:
- Pioneer HU
- Upgrade tweeters at the front
- Keep stock speakers and if possible Bose Amp
- Upgrade the Bose Sub with a Pioneer (the flat 200w one with integrated amp and volume controls by remote)

Without using a MOST interface??:
- Can I maybe replace the Bose amp in the trunk and re-use the speaker wires or are they filtered by the Bose amp??? This way I would for instance add a 6-channel amp between the HU and Bose Speakers... If that's possible without having to run new speaker wire to all speakers etc...

- If that route would work I would also delete the Bose amp with Sub and upgrade the Sub with a Pioneer flat one with integrated amp...

Any insight would be very appreciated

Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
TozoM8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is the speaker impedance. BOSE uses low inpedance speakers, so you need to change them to use different amp. You can get a BOSE amp out of a D2 Audi A8 for dirt cheap. It would work with your factory speakers/wires and it doesn't require the fiber optic system. Just wire it to your head unit and done.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TozoM8
The problem is the speaker impedance. BOSE uses low inpedance speakers, so you need to change them to use different amp..
I would disagree.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 PM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had similar questions last year on my '05. What proved to be the best route for me was a new head unit, (Kenwood 9990) added a 5 channel amp, (the stock one is weak at best) and kept the Bose speakers. I plan on updating the speakers at a later date. Not sure the shop had to use an interface to make it all work (nothing on the receipt) but bluetooth, navigation, pandora, ipod and phone all work great. (The $650 you will spend to make the HU work with the stock amp could be better spent on a new amp) I used Car Audio Innovations in N Cal, they are great!

One thing I noticed is a friend who has the same setup but has Focal speakers all the way around (with sub) is that his system does not sound as good as the Bose speakers on lower volumes. But if you crank it up, his system sounds much better. After spending an hour in his Cayenne with the music turned up I felt like my ears had turned to mush. The Focals are a bright speaker. Now I am not sure what I am going to do. My installer is great, he mentioned some other speakers that might be able to bridge this gap, Hertz. But after comparing with my friends system I realized most of my listening is done at lower volumes now. I think the stock Bose speakers with an upgraded sub would sound great.

Good luck!

Last edited by red95993; 06-28-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Who knows...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I've been considering an upgrade in our Cayenne as well. I did a full upgrade to a nice Kenwood system with a new amp and Focal speakers in my 996. It sounds great and works beautifully. However, it was quite expensive. My wife drives the Cayenne on a daily basis. She doesn't care as much about improving the sound of the system, she just wants to add iPod connectivity, bluetooth phone connectivity and an upgraded navigation system. My plan is to change the headunit only if possible.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I would disagree.
Don't mess with ltc on this subject. Trust me.......
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I heard ltc knows a few things about these systems...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Koen Dries
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I already ordered a custom double din bracket for the radio and am looking into getting a Pioneer AVH-8400bt soon

So my friend is confident that we can go the new amp route, so all I need to figure out is how much channels will the new amp need?

4, 6,...?

I'm surely looking at a decent digital amp
Old 06-07-2013, 02:28 PM
sipod
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TozoM8
. You can get a BOSE amp out of a D2 Audi A8 for dirt cheap. It would work with your factory speakers/wires and it doesn't require the fiber optic system. Just wire it to your head unit and done.
I have the opportunity to buy the said D2 A8 amp. However will this 100% work with an aftermarket HU and stock Bose speakers in a 2003 Cayenne ?
I have hit a brick wall as MostHUR don't produce a kit for a 2003 as of yet.
They tell me it's in the pipeline but this was 10 months ago and still no news.
The plan is to use a spare Pioneer 930bt unit ? any help appreciated

Quick Reply: 2005 Cayenne with Bose -> add new HU and maybe amp? Options...??