Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side markers, fog lights, and passenger side headlight does not work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
ucsherriff
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side markers, fog lights, and passenger side headlight does not work.

Well I bought my 2004 Porsche Cayenne S recently and I noticed after I started playing with the light **** that the fog lights, my right headlight, and right side marker does not work. The entire headlight does not work at all. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what it might be? I'm a novice to my Cayenne and if anybody could help it would be most appreciated!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the fuse. It's in the right end of the dashboard. The owner's manual has a typo, where it lists the fuses for both fuse boxes, and labels them both as "left side of dash". The second list of fuses is actually for the right side of the dashboard.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 PM
ucsherriff
Cruisin'

I did see that some of the fuses are different voltages to what they should really be in the manual. Maybe I should just rearrange what I can since they are all tested to be correctly working and buy the certain voltages that I need. Thanks for the tip. Are there any precautions to take as to how to work on these fuses?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Just don't do it with the car on.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd put money on a loose or bad ground point at the right-side engine compartment; more so if the car was accidented at that corner and body work was performed.

Autobody techs have a bad habit of not putting electrical components back in the way they were found....
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
ucsherriff
Cruisin'

Andy E. you sure know your stuff. There was work done on that side because it was damaged there. I bought it at an auction from Iowa. Had to replace suspension parts (control arm, tie rod, etc..) and other body parts. It was a hassle. So you say it's a bad ground or loose ground? Could you give me some DIY tips or directions on how to do it? I have some minimal car experience but that's about it, especially with this princess. I'm going to check the fuses first just in case.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In all electrical issues, the fuse is always first on the "To Check" list.

Here are the ground points for the 2004 Cayenne. If you're unsure of your technical limits in approaching this type of work, have a technician look it over for you.
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
ucsherriff
Cruisin'

Okay so I checked engine compartment and the left side fuses. The right I couldn't check because a wall was blocking the door from opening all the way. I don't feel like moving the car since it's late now. Most of them are there some are missing where there's supposed to be some and few are not in the same way as all the others. But my Cayenne seems to run fine except for just the lights... should I get the others anyway?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM
gracey
1st Gear

Angry Porsche Cayenne s 04 , water leak rear door resultimg in electrical problems

My Porsche Cayenne S 04 , has had a leak resulting in a lot of water inside ( Door seal was crimped on rear tail gate door ) , spare tyre area full of water , electrics wet , all the sponge bits wet , dried everything out but now have electrical problem , warning lights for suspension , PSM unit etc , car will start on ignition but wo'nt allow me to put it into gear ( auto box ) , have to buypass gear change , by removing centre console unit and then it starts using emergency start sytem . Will then resart intermittantly on key & allows gear change , but then go back in an hour & its back to no gear change allowed & flashing lights etc .
Are the electrics all damaged or does something need to be reset ???? Any suggestions please ?
Rang Porsche but were useless !

Last edited by gracey; 07-14-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
bshirer
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can anyone shed some insight on the actual locations of the MB2 and MB6 grounding points, specifically how to access them? The 2D pic doesn't show if the points are high in the engine bay, or lower on the frame. I've pulled out the front passenger headlamp, and I am wondering if the MB2 grounding point is below the plastic bracket, because I can't get a visual on it.

I'm having a similar problem with my right side blinker not working sporadically. I switched bulbs with the left side, and the problem remained only on the right side - so its not a bulb issue. I also just started with similar 'check high beams' warning, and they appear fine, so t looks like the grounding points might be responsible for these random warning.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by bshirer
Can anyone shed some insight on the actual locations of the MB2 and MB6 grounding points, specifically how to access them? The 2D pic doesn't show if the points are high in the engine bay, or lower on the frame. I've pulled out the front passenger headlamp, and I am wondering if the MB2 grounding point is below the plastic bracket, because I can't get a visual on it.

I'm having a similar problem with my right side blinker not working sporadically. I switched bulbs with the left side, and the problem remained only on the right side - so its not a bulb issue. I also just started with similar 'check high beams' warning, and they appear fine, so t looks like the grounding points might be responsible for these random warning.
Bulb holders are a frequent cause of turn signal failure. Try switching the bulb holder from the left to the right side.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 AM
bshirer
Track Day

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Bulb holders are a frequent cause of turn signal failure. Try switching the bulb holder from the left to the right side.
I did try that for the turn signals, which are my only failure point. It is still only the right hand side that is failing, and only at certain times.

The pattern is that I start the car and drive it, and they work fine for a time or two (and I can see them working in the reflection of the car in front of me) - then the next time I get the warning, the blinker rhythm increases on my dashboard indicator (the rears still work, just faster), and then it will not work again until I restart the car.

I am having problems locating the ground points in the diagram, so I am going to now try to tap into the blinker ground wire and ground it manually to the ground post in the engine bay - just to help debug the issue.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the bulb contacts on the headlight housing. I dislodged one of the contact points on the orange bulb(turn signal) and caused the bulb to not get power. Carefully look for the contact spring to be fully seated in the slot.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 AM
bshirer
Track Day

My test worked. On my lights, pin 2 is for Turn Signal lead (+) and pin 10 is Corner/parking/Turn Signal Ground (-). I tapped into the wire on pin 10 and grounded it manually/temporarily and the problem ceased. It is definitely a grounding issue with the existing wires/harnesses - where the wire is not securely grounded. I need to find the grounding point and clean it all up and tighten it down for a more permanent solution. I just wanted to verify that it was a grounding issue before I moved on.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Schmides
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bshirer
My test worked. On my lights, pin 2 is for Turn Signal lead (+) and pin 10 is Corner/parking/Turn Signal Ground (-). I tapped into the wire on pin 10 and grounded it manually/temporarily and the problem ceased. It is definitely a grounding issue with the existing wires/harnesses - where the wire is not securely grounded. I need to find the grounding point and clean it all up and tighten it down for a more permanent solution. I just wanted to verify that it was a grounding issue before I moved on.
Stupid question but what do you mean by pin 2 and pin 10? I'm having similar issues where my driver side turn signal keeps going out in conjunction with my side marker. And my cornering lights on both sides don't work.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Side markers, fog lights, and passenger side headlight does not work.