Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in my CTT for an X5 4.8is...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:47 PM
DUR
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in my CTT for an X5 4.8is...

Hi all:

I currently own a 2008 Cayenne Turbo with which I am completely in love!!!

However, the financial situation in Spain is making me thinking of selling the Cayenne (might have a buyer...) and buying a 2006 X5 4.8is.

Has any Cayenne owner previously had such X5 4.8is? How good is the Bimmer?

Best.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got your PM. If I were you, I'd skip the 4.8is and get a nice 4.4i... or skip the X5 altogether.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh... we have both now.

I have the CTT, she has the X5. But I'm not that impressed with it. Oddly, I love the Cayenne in terms of a driving machine. But the BMW really bothers me interior-wise. Maybe its the cheap leather and headrests that bend my head downward. But the rides are not comparable at all...
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Have both and couldn't agree with seankrider more. BMW is a great vehicle but the porsche is better on all counts, especially interior comfort and style (at least in 958). Both a great vehicles.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

I *had* both. Cayenne won ultimately.

By the way, OP was asking about the E53 4.8is, not the E70 4.8i; big difference. From this perspective, I'd pick the 4.8is over any new X5's.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a Cayenne forum, of course you will get a lot of pro-Cayenne comments.

However, go post the same question over in a bimmer forum, and I'd bet many of them lust after Cayennes...
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Fair comment, this. But I guess I was trying to be as objective as possible. So more context to be fair:

My Baby Mama loves the X5 like it's the Ultimate Driving Machine or something... But to me, it's just a nice SUV. I will say I'm a big fan of the middle row seat in terms of actually putting adult-sized humans back there. We bought it to haul a newborn around, and the carseat situation works like a champ. And ours has the third-row seat option, that holds half-sized humans, which is currently a 10- or 12-year-old. We split the 3rd row and put a kid in one of the seats, and lay the other down and load with baby gear, etc.

I also love the auto-hatch opening/closing mechanism. The bottom half of the hatch with the mini-door is also pretty convenient. The Nav is also pretty nice - though I'm not a fan of the little paddle wheel system. So they got some things right.

But there are some things I just cannot stand - and I try to look at it from the 'would I have liked this if I hadn't driven a CTT first?' perspective. For one, I hate the dash cluster. Everything is in a mono-colored, small-font 2" square. I can't tell what speed I'm going without translating against the tach, I can't even see what time it is. And setting and using the cruise really bothers me. So these are little nits, but not knowing how fast I'm going, quickly, irritates me. Most driving is freeway, so it matters... ; ). I'm also not a fan at all of the handling and ride quality. I have grown very accustomed to what I get with the Cayenne, and I suppose the X5 is nice to many, but it just seems like an unrefined experience in comparison. Not sure how else to describe it.

I hate the interior leather, but the nifty opening/closing drawers and compartments are nice. I also love the wide grip on the steering wheel, yet I dont' like what happens when I turn said wheel. And the brakes are extremely touchy compared to my CTT.

So as vehicle to sit and dwell in with lots of people and stuff, I really like it; but in terms of a driving experience, I'm not impressed.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Sean,you describe the difference and what you like/dislike about both in a very informative way..thanks
Cool that you and your bm both have a ride you enjoy
Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a hard time adjusting my eyes to BMW's infamous & monotonous amber-lit gauge cluster. It reminds me too much of the amber CRT computer monitors back in the '80's...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just make sure the cost savings are really enough. Otherwise go even lower on the totem pole and buy something cheap. I picked up a ml430 in 2008 for $5k and love that thing. The 4.8is is almost in no man's land.. still expensive but not nearly as good. I say keep your rig or be even more practical.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Didn't OP say he was worried about financial situation....
Why isn't he looking at a KIA Sorento?
Saving money by downgrading luxury?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

After owning a 4.8is for a number of years, I wouldn't touch one if I was worried about unpredictable repair costs.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Just make sure the cost savings are really enough. Otherwise go even lower on the totem pole and buy something cheap. I picked up a ml430 in 2008 for $5k and love that thing. The 4.8is is almost in no man's land.. still expensive but not nearly as good. I say keep your rig or be even more practical.
We had an ML430 as well. Probably one of the best all-around tough truck I've owned. Mine was quite reliable even at 170k... so reliable I blatantly just got tired of it!

I agree with the 4.8is... it IS in no man's land. Special but only to a few enthusiasts. To the mass market, it's just another X5 with a V8, which doesn't compare to the newer SUV's with V8's.

Ride quality was smooth with the [problematic] air suspension compared to non-air-suspension X5's (i.e. non-4.8is).
Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Special but only to a few enthusiasts. To the mass market, it's just another X5 with a V8, which doesn't compare to the newer SUV's with V8's.

Ride quality was smooth with the [problematic] air suspension compared to non-air-suspension X5's (i.e. non-4.8is).
If you can find one, get a 4.6is. It will be cheaper than the 4.8is, and much cheaper to own than a Cayenne. The 4.6 is known to be more reliable than the 4.8iis, too. The only parts I've had to replace have been rubber or plastic pieces that wear out quickly on any car in my desert climate. The air suspension is only on the rear of the vehicle which is also more reliable than the 4.4's some of which have fully adjustable front and rear air suspension.

I still have my 4.6is with 200k miles on the clock. It's not a Cayenne, but I still like it a lot. I tried to sell it, but the high offer I received was only $5500, so decided to keep it as a "beater" vehicle. It still gets the groceries and can tow the trailer!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Budget M3
If you can find one, get a 4.6is. It will be cheaper than the 4.8is, and much cheaper to own than a Cayenne. The 4.6 is known to be more reliable than the 4.8iis, too. The only parts I've had to replace have been rubber or plastic pieces that wear out quickly on any car in my desert climate. The air suspension is only on the rear of the vehicle which is also more reliable than the 4.4's some of which have fully adjustable front and rear air suspension.

I still have my 4.6is with 200k miles on the clock. It's not a Cayenne, but I still like it a lot. I tried to sell it, but the high offer I received was only $5500, so decided to keep it as a "beater" vehicle. It still gets the groceries and can tow the trailer!
I agree about the 4.6is.

Quick Reply: Trading in my CTT for an X5 4.8is...