Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires the same ass Offroad tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Winter tires the same *** Offroad tires?

Are winter & offroad tires one and the same? I want to keep my 20" wheels with Diamaras for summer, but in the winter want to use snow tires. But I'd also like some tires for offroading. Would snow tires work offroad, or would offroad tires work in the snow? Essentially would like a set of tires to use in the winter and a set for the summer -- and would hopefully like to be able to use those winter tires offroad if we want to go that route.

Any education or suggestion?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2003, 11:42 PM
GM Austin
Pro

It depends on what type of off-roading we're talking about. The Mud and Snow (M+S) rated Pirelli Scorpion Zero is probably fine in snow and OK off-road in the mud but maybe not as durable on rocky terrain as the Pirelli Scorpion A/T. All-Terrain tires usually have stronger and thicker sidewalls (sometimes with extra plys) to withstand some abuse from rocks and debris.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

Would tires such as the Scorpion A/T do well enough in the snow? I'd be doing "light" offroading, nothing major, and would just like tires capable in the snow. Would overall like to take advantage of the Cayenne year-round!
Old 04-14-2003, 07:05 AM
GM Austin
Pro

I think the Scorpion A/T would do well in the snow. You might look at some of the online tire stores. They have their own reviews and user reviews of various tires along with complete specs. Here's a link to one of them: <a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+A%2FT" target="_blank">Scorpion A/T</a>
Old 04-14-2003, 10:46 AM
JeffES
Pro

Well, don't know about "same ***"... :-)
But, there are "winter" tires - 18" Dunlop "Winter sports" on either the "Cayenne Turbo" Wheel or the "Cayenne S" Wheel,
OR the more aggressive Pirelli Scorpion AT in 18" on the "Cayenne S" Wheel.
Hope this helps...
Jeff
Old 04-14-2003, 11:20 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

The scorpion A/T seem like ok tires. However, the problem is that they don't come in a size that would work on the Cayenne. The only 18" Scorpion A/T is 235/60TR 18, and I don't think that would work very well replacing 255/55 18's.

As for whether to get an off-road tire or winter tire, I would recommend getting off road capable tires and then having them siped. That will give you added traction in wet and snow and you get the best of both worlds. , If you just get winter tires, they might not be very good off road and there's not much you can do to make them any better.

Too bad BFGoodrich doesn't make their A/T KO tires in 18's.

Karl
Old 04-14-2003, 01:12 PM
dawktah
Racer

I had thought long and hard about this. I plan to either get the Porsche winter tire package or the rims alone and get the Pirelli Ice & Snow. The web site had the tire in 255/55 R18 but is no longer listed. So may be available as supplies last.

Winter tires are made of a softer rubber that remain pliable at very low temperatures. Also the tread has groooves that compress the snow and melts it in the tread to keep tread clean.

I will encounter far more snow than off-road conditions. The M+S rating is based only on the aggressive tread pattern and not really on snow handling.

If I find myself needing to "off-Road" where my 19" won't allow I will buy yet another set of tires to swap off rims with winter tires.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:38 PM
GM Austin
Pro

This month's Christophorus has a complete list of approved tires for the Cayenne.

<a href="http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/usa/news/christophorus/0304/pdf/cpm_301_sommerreifen_engl.PDF" target="_blank">Christophorus</a>
Old 04-16-2003, 06:54 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is the deal.
On my Jeep Cherokee I run 31" BFG AT KO.. These are are very tough and durable offroad tire that are also acceptable on the steet. I offroad with them often and they take a beating and still hold air. I have taken then in deep snow and they work very well.

I did however drive them on ICE and found they SUCKED...

Why..
just as dawktah said the compound is not designed for low temp grip. I feel that proper winder tires are good in ice and snow mostly due to the rubber compound. My BFG's are good in slow due to their tread pattern, but are not good on ice due to compound.

Bottomline off-road tires and winter tires are not the same.

Quick Reply: Winter tires the same ass Offroad tires?