Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointing 958 Test drive

Old 09-16-2020, 05:18 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Disappointing 958 Test drive

I had a 955 Turbo S about 5 years ago and loved it. During that time, had it in for service and received a 2015 Diesel Cayenne as a loaner and really enjoyed it.

Due to changing needs, I was going to get rid of my E90 M3 and get a 958 base or S for my daily so I can tow my race car. Then a cheap sports car to go with it.

I have come close to buying a couple sight unseen, but realized I should probably drive one. The closest to me was a base model and I was massively disappointed. I felt the steering was very numb and lazy compared to my 955TTS and from what I remembered the Diesel I drove. While I loved the interior of the 958 it did seem huge overall compared to what I remembered feeling like in my 955. Maybe because I was able to get the seat lower in the 958. I felt like the nose was way farther ahead of me. We do have a Volvo XC90 T6 which I find more enjoyable to drive over the base 958.

Anyone else have similar experiences or end up sticking with their 955/957? They certainly feel more connected from what I remember. Could be me, I had a F80 m3 comp package last year and much prefer the E90 I have now. Starting to think I may need to drive cars from pre-2011 for the rest of my life. :-)

Does the steering change at all in the S? Maybe the suspension changes to the S make it feel better as I am sure lower profile tires make a bigger difference.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

You keep mentioning "from what you remember" - which to me means you no longer own it. I'd suggest trying to setup back to back 955/958 test drives. I doubt if you'll feel much difference in handling and feel. They are about identical in size, so that shouldn't be a factor. I think your memory is glossing up the 955.. and the only way to really compare is driving them back to back. And I'd suggest a 958 Turbo - if you had a turbo 955 - very little in the 958 range is going to feel the same.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

No one can go from a Turbo to a base or S. Once you've had a turbo, everything else feels slow and lethargic. If the purpose is to tow the race car, get a2009 or 2010 957 turbo. It addressed a number of the issues with the first generation 955, actually has a usable PCM system with touchscreen and BT for phone calls. BT streaming can be added with a $20 BT dongle to the multi port in the console. The turbo power and torque will tow much better than a base or S (effortlessly, in fact) and they all have air suspension, which also makes them better tow vehicles. Avoid the '08 model year due to bore scoring issues. The 957 also has the original low range transfer case in case you need real, locking 4WD while towing something and get in a bind. The hatch shape is more upright which looks more masculine and gives you more storage capacity, and the back window opens so you don't have to open the tailgate every time to you want to get access back there. All the Cayennes after the 957 generation also have transfer case issues and why Porsche just extended the warranty on them, but that will eventually expire.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:53 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

e90 m3 to f80 m3 and the cayenne change both change hydraulic power steering to electric one.

Big factor right there.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
No one can go from a Turbo to a base or S. Once you've had a turbo, everything else feels slow and lethargic. If the purpose is to tow the race car, get a2009 or 2010 957 turbo. It addressed a number of the issues with the first generation 955, actually has a usable PCM system with touchscreen and BT for phone calls. BT streaming can be added with a $20 BT dongle to the multi port in the console. The turbo power and torque will tow much better than a base or S (effortlessly, in fact) and they all have air suspension, which also makes them better tow vehicles. Avoid the '08 model year due to bore scoring issues. The 957 also has the original low range transfer case in case you need real, locking 4WD while towing something and get in a bind. The hatch shape is more upright which looks more masculine and gives you more storage capacity, and the back window opens so you don't have to open the tailgate every time to you want to get access back there. All the Cayennes after the 957 generation also have transfer case issues and why Porsche just extended the warranty on them, but that will eventually expire.
Your endless nuthugging of the 957 is apparent, even though you've only driven yours like 8k miles in 5 years. The 958 transfer case is an easy rebuild for $600 so hardly world ending. Additionally, the 958 doesn't have a dreadful interior, hideous catfish front end, or litany of issues with air suspension, bore scoring, cardan shafts, etc etc.

As for a low range (which ps has nothing to do with locking), what binds while towing will that get him out of? There is endless chatter about 958s towing everything from utility trailers to full size travel trailers weighing 8k lbs and not once do I see anyone say..."well if i had my low range transfer case." Offroad rock climbing...sure, i concede that point.

Originally Posted by squid42
e90 m3 to f80 m3 and the cayenne change both change hydraulic power steering to electric one.

Big factor right there.
the 958 doesn't have electric steering.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 09-17-2020 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Petrolhead_007 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Your endless nuthugging of the 957 is apparent, even though you've only driven yours like 8k miles in 5 years. The 958 transfer case is an easy rebuild for $600 so hardly world ending. Additionally, the 958 doesn't have a dreadful interior, hideous catfish front end, or litany of issues with air suspension, bore scoring, cardan shafts, etc etc.

As for a low range (which ps has nothing to do with locking), what binds while towing will that get him out of? There is endless chatter about 958s towing everything from utility trailers to full size travel trailers weighing 8k lbs and not once do I see anyone say..."well if i had my low range transfer case." Offroad rock climbing...sure, i concede that point.

the 958 doesn't have electric steering.
​​​​​​
That's 14k miles in 4 years, and pure bliss for every one of them. I also prefer my more spartan, less electronic interior to anything newer, as it makes it feel more similar to my 997, which is also a perfect interior - all business and purposeful without a bunch of touchscreens and crap. You can't tell me that a base or an S tows anywhere near as well as a Turbo, so whatever. Now commencing additional nuthugging.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:50 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

I really like that word, hadn't heard it before
deilenberger (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:08 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Only 958 hybrids came with electric steering, all others had hydraulic. Yes F80 M3 steering is not as communicative and it doesn't sound as good as E90 M3. However, power difference is immense and I heard simple coding update to CS or GTS programming will improve steering feel. Haven't had a chance to update mine yet, since I got used to steering feel in the past 4 years I've owned.

2011 Cayenne Base had a base Price of 48K while Turbo was 106K. You simply need to go test drive 958 Turbo, as you're comparing it to a 955 Turbo S you had before.

There is no question that similar trim level 958 is better in every measurable way compared to 955/957. R&D teams at Porsche didn't spend hundreds of millions of dollars and several years of their life for nothing.
Besides, it's easier to find a decent 958 Turbo since it is getting harder to find a a reasonably priced 957 Turbo nowadays. Regardless of which generation Cayenne you get, make sure it has Tow package and preferable air suspension as well.
If you're driving and towing a lot then 958 diesel might be a better choice but most Diesels are strippers and any that popup with air suspension get snatched up real quick.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

One point of 958 superiority over all previous Cayennes - none of that hideous "soft-touch" interior paint. I'm spending $$$ on my Boxster eliminating it..
CTTS520 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
​​​​​​
That's 14k miles in 4 years, and pure bliss for every one of them. I also prefer my more spartan, less electronic interior to anything newer, as it makes it feel more similar to my 997, which is also a perfect interior - all business and purposeful without a bunch of touchscreens and crap. You can't tell me that a base or an S tows anywhere near as well as a Turbo, so whatever. Now commencing additional nuthugging.
hey, if thats your preference, thats cool.

As for turbos vs a base or S, I agree with the base. My S pulls a 4klb trailer/boxster without any issues. For the most part, it chugs along in 8th gear without any issues. In the hills, it may downshift an extra gear vs a turbo, but realistically, its a non issue. If you intend to pull 7k plus or enclosed trailers, perhaps a turbo would make a difference.

In addition, the 958 has an 8 speed, which is really quite nice while towing so as not to get 10mpg.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:48 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

The 958 definitely has lighter steering than 955/957. That's the first thing I noticed when I drive a 958D after my 957GTS. I mentioned that to one of the guys at the dealership and he confirmed my observation and told me that the 9Y0 gen Cayenne has even lighter steering than 958. I guess that's what progress looks like.

Interior/exterior looks are a matter of personal taste. 958 taillights make me nauseous, I have to do a double take to make sure I'm looking at a Cayenne and not a Nissan Murano. (958.2 was a vast improvement, I'll admit).
Infotainment? 955/7/8 are all vastly outdated by just about any aftermarket unit with AndroidAuto/Carplay. Besides that, 955/7 looks much cleaner inside than the buttonfest in the 958. Smudge magnet piano-gloss contraption in the 9Y0 does not impress me much either. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, who knows...

As for mechanicals, the 955/7 6 speed slushbox is a steaming pile of doo doo (really, it's a 5 speed + lower G gear for off-roading). Easily the worst part of the car for anything other than off-roading or performance driving. Sure, 958 lost the "proper" t-case, but the gearbox is miles ahead. Pick your poison.

Last edited by slavie; 09-17-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:03 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

I do have 981 boxster S as my daily driver, and 19 base Cayenne as a family car. While you can't deny Cayenne size... It's the best driving production SUV on the road. I never really drove 958 so can't compare... But I find steering very sharp and the car planted on the road like a real sports car. It's really magic what Porsche did there to make this behemoth feel like a sports car.

The only problem is it's completely lethargic in O/oh-so-slow/default drive mode. Takes seconds to change gears, and to get it going you have to floor the pedal. And even then it will think a few seconds.... But sport mode completely cures that. So ours is in Sport all the time, and T-Design memory module does it and you don't have to worry about switching every time.

But if you can go with smaller car - get a Macan! Not much space in the rear, and trunk is a joke, but if it's not a priority - it's a smaller car, and the only one SUV that drives better than Cayenne, IMO
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 09-17-2020 at 05:14 PM.
ABusLux (09-17-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 01:39 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to drive a 957 of any kind just for size perspective. I drove my wifes XC90 T6 today and it did not feel as big, which is crazy. I might even just throw a hitch on that for now and beg for forgiveness when I leave her with non automatic vehicles!
Old 09-18-2020, 05:06 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I spent a couple months in a 958 (An S if I recall correctly) and asides from the nicer steering wheel and PCM, I preferred my 957 CTTS by far.

I've never experienced a 958 CTTS but I've been in base and S model 958, 957 and 955's. Ignoring the PCM, I'd say the trim level made a bigger impact to me than the switch between 955/957/958.

If I had to rank them I'd probably say any Turbo/Turbo S beats any other Cayenne regardless of year. And then for the base and S models, just the newest one you can afford is best.

The base models honestly just feel like they're missing everything but the badge. The S feels like a pretty average luxury SUV. I've never sat in a GTS variant or the Turbo but the Turbo S just has a specialness to it and I'm assuming they're pretty similar, just a little less special.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:28 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to drive a 957 of any kind just for size perspective. I drove my wifes XC90 T6 today and it did not feel as big, which is crazy. I might even just throw a hitch on that for now and beg for forgiveness when I leave her with non automatic vehicles!
Good call. Just get her something fancy from Turo the weekends you plan to steal her car and it is a win all the way around. With both a supercharger and turbocharger the extremely linear power delivery of the T6 makes the XC90 tow really well. It feels like it has so much more power than rated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointing 958 Test drive