Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new key, who is cheapest and are they programmed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Neo1130
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new key, who is cheapest and are they programmed?

I searched a few places about programming keys for my 2006 Cayenne...

1. I heard that if a key fob was previously used, it cannot be programmed to another vehicle. This sounds like BS to me... True or false?

2. I also heard that when you order directly from Porsche, all you have to do is get the key and take off, with no dealer programming needed as it is already done. Again, true or false? My dealer wants to charge $300 for the key and another $150 to program...

3. If you CAN buy from the dealer new, and it comes programmed, are there any internet dealers that give a decent discount on them?

Thanks guys!

-New Cayenne owner!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Neo1130... The cost to program a new transmitter at the dealer was 1 hour of labor, at my dealer that was a cost of $155.00. I removed the key from the old transmitter unit and moved it to the new unit before taking in my Cayenne in for this process. The dealer will need both of your transmitters for the re-programing process that is required for your Cayenne. If you have the old transmitter/key unit their is a small pin that holds the key blank in place to the transmitter. Remove the small pin from the key shaft them pull the key out, place the key into the new transmitter by pushing it in the slot then place the pin into place. If you don't have your old transmitter you will need to buy a key blank and have it cut to your VIN. Hope that helps you ...

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 02-11-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I tried the cheap route as well when I only got one key when I purchased my car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ey-blanks.html

First "fresh" remote off ebay I got, dealer couldn't program. Was able to send it back and was out a few bucks for shipping.

2nd one I got was able to be programed to work.

Make sure your part number on your existing key fob matches.

Next I was able to find a HAA blank made by Valeo off of ebay. Spent a few weeks looking for a Huf but no go.

Only Valeo and Huf manufacture these blanks and they will only sell them to a car manufacture, i.e. Porsche, VW, etc.

Finally I heard rumours that some VW dealers will copy the HAA key, but only a few for a fee, or they will recomend somone that will. My nearby dealer wouldn't do it after a service adviser said they would.

After calling a few locksmiths, I found one that would only if I agreed to pay him $150 or so for a new bit if I broke his

I was pretty confident my key was OEM material (softer metal) and not steel like the Chinese knockoff ones, which will ruin bits on the key machine.

So about a weeks worth of aggravation this is what it cost me.

$7 Shipping and Handling to send old fob back
$90 shipped for a NOS key fob.
$10 shipped for a key blank.
$20 for key cutting.
$0 for a cool Porsche dealer that was willing to code it for free. (Ira Porsche in Danvers, MA who by they way is always good to me by Porsche Dealer Standards!)

It has been two years and has worked like a charm!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

I went with autotransponder.com. The key I got looks exactly like a brand new OEM key (not sure if it really is, but I certainly can't tell). Ironically, I also go to Ira Porsche in Danvers and they cut & programmed it for me for free. So all in all it cost me less than $150 (including shipping) to get a brand new key for my GTS.

And I agree with touareg - Ira seems to be a great dealer for service. I didn't buy my GTS there but they treat me like I did. The SA, Chris, is a real good guy and quite a motor head himself.

Edit: Forgot to mention - if you don't see your exact key on their website give them a call as they'll likely have it even if it's not listed. They really seemed to know their stuff when I talked with them on the phone and I was very pleased with my transaction/interaction with them. And no, no affiliation...
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Kurt Nigg
1st Gear

Can anybody please tell me what frequency the remote-key works on in Australia for an Cayenne S 2006
Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Giving this a bump. What is the best source for a quality, new key?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

I recently purchased a new key for my '09 Cayenne.

p/n - 955-637-945-05-01C

Price was $259.97 + shipping.

I still have to get it programmed - as previously mentioned, apparently 1 hour of labor is typical.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't buy a used fob, they can't be programmed twice. Some on 6sp said they could, So i went through it and they can't be.
Waste of time, money and shop time/more money as they try to make it work with the PIWIS and it won't.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:04 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
I recently purchased a new key for my '09 Cayenne.

p/n - 955-637-945-05-01C

Price was $259.97 + shipping.

I still have to get it programmed - as previously mentioned, apparently 1 hour of labor is typical.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
Don't buy a used fob, they can't be programmed twice. Some on 6sp said they could, So i went through it and they can't be.
Waste of time, money and shop time/more money as they try to make it work with the PIWIS and it won't.
Thanks. I read the same stuff on 6speed and thought it sounded pretty sketchy, that and people buying cheap knockoffs from china made of metal too hard to be etched? Anyway, sketchy as all that sounds which is bad enough, I wouldn't want a used key anyway. I love my TTS and it's in nearly new condition, intend to keep it for a very long time and would only want new.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but...

Do you need a second key, or just a replacement?

Is the old one still working, but the plastic "case" is shot?

You can get just the shell and swap the "guts" of your current one over.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:15 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but...

Do you need a second key, or just a replacement?

Is the old one still working, but the plastic "case" is shot?

You can get just the shell and swap the "guts" of your current one over.
I have a second key somewhere, been misplaced for a while now. So ostensibly I'm down to one key. So I'm buying one whole new genuine porsche key and will keep the second as backup. Maybe someday I'll swap the guts on that one, because yes it's shot . But it's fine the way it is for the time being.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:57 AM
Tony Schwarzman
1st Gear

Default Porsche key

I have to tell everyone i got my key cut and programed for 220 ish from payless key they are a company in new york. It was weird because the are like a regular locksmith but they are so under marketed i sent them my key module(above the throttle) and the drivers door lock 1 week later i got them back with a new key. I had to search all over the internet to find them, and still was pretty scheched out to use it. If you call them their customer service is mediocre at best and they all have heavy accents. But the results were amazing if i had read a review like mine first i probly wouldent of second guessed using them . so glad i did though just trying to get the word out
Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 AM
thesandman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Jay
I went with autotransponder.com. The key I got looks exactly like a brand new OEM key (not sure if it really is, but I certainly can't tell). Ironically, I also go to Ira Porsche in Danvers and they cut & programmed it for me for free. So all in all it cost me less than $150 (including shipping) to get a brand new key for my GTS.

And I agree with touareg - Ira seems to be a great dealer for service. I didn't buy my GTS there but they treat me like I did. The SA, Chris, is a real good guy and quite a motor head himself.

Edit: Forgot to mention - if you don't see your exact key on their website give them a call as they'll likely have it even if it's not listed. They really seemed to know their stuff when I talked with them on the phone and I was very pleased with my transaction/interaction with them. And no, no affiliation...

Thanks for the tip on autotransponder.com. I just used them to get a copy of my key for $44.98. https://keysinthepost.com was a little cheaper, but couldn't find any reviews on them.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 AM
thesandman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Schwarzman
I have to tell everyone i got my key cut and programed for 220 ish from payless key they are a company in new york. It was weird because the are like a regular locksmith but they are so under marketed i sent them my key module(above the throttle) and the drivers door lock 1 week later i got them back with a new key. I had to search all over the internet to find them, and still was pretty scheched out to use it. If you call them their customer service is mediocre at best and they all have heavy accents. But the results were amazing if i had read a review like mine first i probly wouldent of second guessed using them . so glad i did though just trying to get the word out
I'm little unclear on what you did. Could you just send them the entire key with remote and they send you a clone of it, including the metal blank potion and the remote clicker?

Quick Reply: Need a new key, who is cheapest and are they programmed?