Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber interior trim delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
S4Del
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber interior trim delaminating

I just picked up a new to me 2008 CTT with the interior carbon fiber package. It is from Texas so experienced some high heat I am sure. The trim pieces on the doors have the carbon fiber peeling up from the plastic beneath it.

Anyone have any tips on securing it back down? 3M trim tape isn't a great option.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My friend's 996 had a factory carbon steering wheel which cracked due to the heat and UV exposure.

Your best bet would be to remove the part(s) from the door, lightly sand down the lacquered section which is delaminating using 800-1000 grit paper and re-spray with a quality automotive clear lacquer.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM
S4Del
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is actually the carbon fiber overlay coming apart from the plastic backing that then attaches to the doors.

I solved this by using a heat gun to completely pull apart the 2 halves, used goo gone and sandpaper to remove the excess glue and scuff up the two halves a bit. Cleaned both sides then used 3M trim adhesive and a truckload of clamps to attach them back together, then used a heat gun to warm up the trim piece and form it back so that it doesn't curve out as much towards the ends.

So I guess the carbon fiber option package for 3 grand is actually used to pay for the self help class to learn how to fix interior parts.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work! I'd love to see the before and after images.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber interior trim delaminating