Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver seat cushion replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
j3w
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver seat cushion replacement.

The previous owner was a fattie and the cushion and springs in the driver's seat bottom are shot.

I have looked and looked and even removed the entire seat but have no idea how to replace the bottom foam.

Any tips? How-to's? Any help at all?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It was just a matter of time before someone bought Pops' old P!g. Please start a separate thread about stain and odor removal.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
j3w
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Divot
It was just a matter of time before someone bought Pops' old P!g. Please start a separate thread about stain and odor removal.
Ha.

Coincidentally, I spent a good solid month this summer disassembling the interior and scrubbing the leather to get it pristine.

Yes, I need a hobby.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
I take pride in being a fatty. But let's just set one thing straight - I am a clean and odorless fatty, ok?!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:00 PM
j3w
8th Gear

No advice, huh?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

A. Remove seat

B.Remove seat-belt buckle

C.Remove front backrest frame

tips
Fastening screw securing backrest frame to seat frame M12 x 1.25 thread Tightening torque 34.5 Nm (26 ftlb.)

1. Remove front seat
Before the battery is disconnected when removing the front seat, the seat must be moved into top position and the backrest must be tipped back by approx. 45°.
2. Remove backrest cover
3. Remove inner and outer seat trim
4. Counter plastic strip -1- of spring core and use a release lever -2- removal tool, universal NR.21 to unclip wire harnesses from the spring core -arrows- .
5. Push back lock on the side airbag connector and remove the connector - . Then unlock side airbag connector on the seat frame and push out towards the front .
6. Unlock ground connector -1- and central connector -2- and remove both connectors
7. Unscrew inner -3- and outer -4- fastening screws.
8. Using a screwdriver, lever backrest out of the centring bushings at the inner side , turn upward and remove from the installation position.
9. Hold backrest in upright position and push outer side of seat cushion inwards
10. Remove padding for backrest
11. Remove lumbar support
12. Remove side airbag
13. Remove wire harness for backrest

D. Remove front seat trim (around the bottom)

1. Move front seat forward until fastening screws of front trim are accessible.
2. Pull out seat belt cap at the front side and take out to the front
3. Unscrew fastening screws
4. Fold trim outward
5. Unlock the two connectors and remove from the seat adjustment switch
6. Detach backrest cover on the outer side trim
7. Push pins of expanding clips out towards the inside and remove the expanding clips.
8. Pull outer side trim off belt guide.
If the retaining bracket becomes loose from the side trim during removal, it must be refitted to the side trim for installation.
9. Detach backrest cover on the inner side trim
10. Push pins of expanding clips out towards the inside and remove the expanding clips.
11. Release inner trim at front using a commercially available screwdriver -
12. Pull trim at bottom outward and lift it up and out

E.Removing padding for front seat

Danger of injury and material damage if airbag units are not handled correctly! Always observe the safety regulations for handling airbag units.
The airbag unit must always be deposited so that the airbag opening faces upward!
If removed for an extended period, the airbag unit must be kept in a locked place!
Remove ignition key. Disconnect the battery and cover battery terminal.

1. Disengage rear plastic strip for cover -arrows- .

2. Use a suitable angular screw driver to lever out plastic strips at front and side from retaining hooks -arrows- .

3. Remove padding and seat cover from seat frame.
Attached Images     
Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM
j3w
8th Gear

Many thanks, John!

If you don't hear from me again, I've taken an airbag to the face and am no longer able to type.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slow! You're my hero! In a rare and brief moment of seriousness, guys like you make this forum extremely useful and almost respectable.

You put the "Pen" in P!gPen. Everyone else puts the "P!G" in P!gPen...!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 PM
j3w
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
A. Remove seat

B.Remove seat-belt buckle

C.Remove front backrest frame

D. Remove front seat trim (around the bottom)
After tackling this job this afternoon I would like these directions to something like this:

How to get to the moon:

A. Build spaceship.

B. Get in spaceship.

C. Aim at moon.

D. Land on moon.

Helpful hint: bring your own air as there is none on moon.

Okay, okay sarcasm aside, this was a big help as I got stuck previously on the first diagram as it's not especially obvious that the two parts of the seat split at the hinge.

So here are a few helpful hints if you want to tackle this job yourself.

First: call your dealership and ask for a reputable European upholstery shop. Drive there. Pay them to fix whatever is wrong.

Second: stubborn bastard, you skipped step one? Well don't skip this one. Head over to the kitchen and make sure you have 2-3 extremely cold beers in your fridge. Turns out I only had one Shiner Hef in there and it wasn't enough.

Third: You will need an assortment of regular hand tools and a 10mm triple square socket as well as T20 and T40 Torx bits. Also if you are replacing the seat cover or seat foam you will need tin snips and a pair of hogring pliers and the proper rings.

In the last diagram there is some kind of right angle screwdriver deal, doesn't really matter if you have it, these seat rails are bastards and you'll end up getting the BF-ing flathead out and abusing them.

I might have avoided the last part above if I'd known about step two - at some point you gotta stop, take a deep breath and down some suds. This job is f-all frustrating.

Fourth: I don't see it in the steps above but on my seat the airbag was connected with a single locking plastic connector with a brown wire going in and out. But additionally there were two smaller wires one black and one blue that were soldered to some kind of joint and then heat shrunk. I cut them at the joint and upon reassembly I added an insulated quick disconnect to each.

Fifth: At some point you may be tempted to unbolt the links and parts of the seat frame to make it easier to get to things. I cannot stress this enough - DO NOT DO THIS, FOOLISH PERSON.

See I know you are foolish because you have gotten this far in the job, heh.

The seat frame is under some kind of tension and if you unbolt the cross links it'll go wonky and getting the cross links back together will be a heck of a task. Just don't. Trust me, I took a bullet for you here.

That's about all I can think of.

Remember the seats are heavy and made of fairly fragile leather, if you place them on anything but a soft blanket you're gonna scratch something.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:36 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by j3w
The previous owner was a fattie and the cushion and springs in the driver's seat bottom are shot.

I have looked and looked and even removed the entire seat but have no idea how to replace the bottom foam.

Any tips? How-to's? Any help at all?
Hey! I have exactly the same problem in my just-purchased 2003 996 4S. The previous owner must have had a giant wallet that permanently depressed the right side of the seat cushion, and now my lower back aches from it being lopsided.

Should I try to get it reupholstered in the Bay Area? Will shops find the correct foam? Anybody have shop recommendations?

Is it cheaper to just replace the entire seat? I worry a seat replacement may not be much better.

Quick Reply: Driver seat cushion replacement.