Sponsored by:

Scratches on Cayenne, look serious. What should I do

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:54 PM
marioeva
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on Cayenne, look serious. What should I do

My heart broke yesterday when I spotted some scatches on the right wheel, two doors on the right and the right mirror. These scratches are probably caused by my wife, who just got the license or caused by the valet parking staff.

I updated three pictures. How much will it cost to fix them or shall I just leave it? I have collision insurance $150 deductible. Is it worth to inform the insurer given the fact that I may need to pay more insurance next year and there will b e bad record on my car?

Thank you in advance
Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the wheels and what looks like very minor scratch on the door handle. The mirror housing isn't expensive and is usually available at any Porsche dealer and is a 10 second install.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait. Don't fix anything.

To be realistic, your newly licensed wife will probably strike again. Wait until you have a few more nicks and dents so that she gets the hang of driving before getting anything repaired.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do NOT make an insurance claim.

You are brave enough to have a low deductible; you don't want to see what happens on this claim (hint, it will be 3 different incidents.)
Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM
marioeva
AutoX

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I wouldn't worry about the wheels and what looks like very minor scratch on the door handle. The mirror housing isn't expensive and is usually available at any Porsche dealer and is a 10 second install.
do you mean that they will replace the whole mirror? thank you
Old 04-09-2011, 05:22 PM
marioeva
AutoX

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Originally Posted by Andy E.
Wait. Don't fix anything.

To be realistic, your newly licensed wife will probably strike again. Wait until you have a few more nicks and dents so that she gets the hang of driving before getting anything repaired.
I am considering this option. If the repairing cost is small, I will at least fix the mirror and do not inform the insurer
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 PM
marioeva
AutoX

Originally Posted by Divot
Do NOT make an insurance claim.

You are brave enough to have a low deductible; you don't want to see what happens on this claim (hint, it will be 3 different incidents.)
What do you mean by "brave enough to have a low deductible"? Sorry I am new to car. I just purchased the option that suggested by progressive.

If it will be 3 incidents as you said, I will NOT make a claim
Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marioeva
do you mean that they will replace the whole mirror? thank you
No. I mean just the housing, the plastic part around the mirror. And sure, they will replace it, but when I said it's a 10 second thing, I meant you'll be able to do it yourself. Pop it off, pop it on. The cost is under $100 and that MIGHT include the paint job.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

So, did you confront your wife? If she did not do the damage, don't valet your car in the future. If she owned the damage... get her a rubber car
Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marioeva
What do you mean by "brave enough to have a low deductible"? Sorry I am new to car. I just purchased the option that suggested by progressive.

If it will be 3 incidents as you said, I will NOT make a claim
For me, insurance is for a catastrophe. I would never make a claim for $151. It just drives up your rate, or they drop your coverage. A higher deductible also lowers your payments. YMMV.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
For me, insurance is for a catastrophe. I would never make a claim for $151. It just drives up your rate, or they drop your coverage. A higher deductible also lowers your payments. YMMV.
Yup, I'd get quotes on what your premium would be for $500 and $1000 deductibles. All mine, personal and business are at $1000 with the intent of using it only for big accidents. The times I've asked for quotes for deductibles over that that, the drop in the premium was less significant compared to the change from $500 to $1000.

Also see if window insurance available. I have one with a $100 deductible which I used twice in a short period when I ran into some bad luck. It covered two side window repairs after I first confirmed that this would not increase my premium. It didn't.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

increase deductibles because you never even wanna touch insurance unless you have to, really screws you over in the longrun when you use it.

wheel=75-100$ max to fix like new (mobile wheel repair= http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/ )

mirror= just a plastic piece that snaps on

handle=dont worry

let her mess everything up more however before you fix... in all honestly there is no excuse for the damage....she obviously shows no care/regard for the car... if my GF came back with the car like that i would take the key away and tell her to call a cab for her errands.. even things that aren't the drivers fault can be prevented by being proactive.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a crease in the lower part of the right rear door? Hard to tell from the picture. I would think that the the housing and the door handle may be related to the same event and would think that only one ded may apply, don't ask how I know. Although wheel damage is much lower and probably some type of curb damage as the damage goes around the wheel. If that is not a crease in the door, it would be a good idea to pay out of pocket for the mirror and door handle to have painted if you can not live with it. Bummer to have damage on a new car.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM
marioeva
AutoX

Originally Posted by rijowysock
increase deductibles because you never even wanna touch insurance unless you have to, really screws you over in the longrun when you use it.

wheel=75-100$ max to fix like new (mobile wheel repair= http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/ )

mirror= just a plastic piece that snaps on

handle=dont worry

let her mess everything up more however before you fix... in all honestly there is no excuse for the damage....she obviously shows no care/regard for the car... if my GF came back with the car like that i would take the key away and tell her to call a cab for her errands.. even things that aren't the drivers fault can be prevented by being proactive.
Since there are radars around the car, every time when anything is too close to the car, the radars will give warning signs. I checked with my wife and she confirmed that she did not hear anything radar warning. So now I think its more likely due to the valet parking guy.

One lesson I learned is check car's body every time when parking guy returns you the car. I will try to check the security tapes to see if I can find the truth.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM
marioeva
AutoX

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
Is there a crease in the lower part of the right rear door? Hard to tell from the picture. I would think that the the housing and the door handle may be related to the same event and would think that only one ded may apply, don't ask how I know. Although wheel damage is much lower and probably some type of curb damage as the damage goes around the wheel. If that is not a crease in the door, it would be a good idea to pay out of pocket for the mirror and door handle to have painted if you can not live with it. Bummer to have damage on a new car.
Unfortunately there is a cease on both right doors

Quick Reply: Scratches on Cayenne, look serious. What should I do