Parking sensors not working - intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM
rehpog
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking sensors not working - intermittent

Any Ideas?

Going forward the sensors are working normally. However, I select reverse and I get the warning that both front and back sensors are not working. This happens 9 out of 10 times - on the 10th time all is well...

I believe it to be something like an activation switch perhaps in or nead the gearlever - but I am really not sure.

Any ideas - before I just remove the console cover and have a route around?

Cheers
Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you looked at all the sensors to see if they arenot damaged or punched in?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 AM
RandalJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be symptomatic of a fading battery. Happened to my wife's Range Rover Sport. New battery under warranty solved.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
rehpog
3rd Gear

Thanks for the ideas. I have checked all sensors and all appeared to be complete. Thanks for the tip on the battery - I will get it checked out.

In order to check for loose connections any ideas on how to get access to the back of the rear sensors? - is it a bumper/fender removal?

Any ideas where I can get some idea of the control logic involved with the parking sensors?

Thanks

Pehpog
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM
chrispiec
Intermediate

im having the exact same issue. But i have noticed that when the weather is dry they work fine. But seeing as i live on the west coeast of scotland its not often dry here.

Any tips how i get access to the sensors? Do i actually need to remove the bumper to get to them?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the parking sensors control unit to see if it is wet or damp form water in that location. It is located in the rear storage area of your Cayenne. Open the rear door then pull open the cover on the left side and sitting on the bottom just aft of the left wheel well it is a little black box that controls your parking sensor system. If it gets wet you will have issues or failure of your parking sensor system. If it gets or was wet or damp back there you will have to dry the unit off, if it has shorted/burnout the control unit will need to be replaced. For a short term fix dry the control unit off and place it in a plastic bag to prevent it from any water in the future. Then you will have time to look and see why water is getting in that area.... This has been a common problem....

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 01-07-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
chrispiec
Intermediate

just had a quick look and its dry. No water or dampness and it has been pouring all day! Thanks though. Anything else? I was working fine up until a few days before christmas and now it does it all the time. Sometimes it works fine then other times it wont work at all. The last time we had 2 days of dry weather it worked fine every time but whwn the rain started its not working again. Seriously getting annoying.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 recent threads on this issue, probably because of "this time of year".

I have a new Cayenne, and recently randomly my sensors will show something right in front when there is nothing.

If I wash all the salt and crap off my bumper, from what they throw on the roads this time of year problem goes away for a while.

How dirty is your bumper?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 AM
chrispiec
Intermediate

its pretty clean. Although its been about 2 weeks since i washed it last. I'll give it a clean and see if it helps. Just hope my hose has thawed out.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 AM
chrispiec
Intermediate

Hi guys,

i fixed the issue. I managed to squeeze my hands between the exhaust the bumper/fender and the 2 sensors on the corners were cover with mud and dirt. As soon as i started cleaning away the mud etc the sensors immediately started working. Hopefully thats the end of that.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:30 AM
JuannaKnowtrooth
Intermediate

Default Sensors all red and screeching!

Same happened to me. Front sensors alarmed as fault with no debris, damage or anything. I checked the back ones and they had some muddy salty crusty which I washed off and took care of the issue.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 PM
JuannaKnowtrooth
Intermediate

Default Figured it out

Had gunk on one front sensors. Cleaned and back to normal. Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Parking sensors not working - intermittent