Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I did to fix check dipped beam errors and headlights flickering or going out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM
pakimunda101
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke the mounting bracket, anyone know a good place to purchase a new mounting bracket for the headlight? Also how hard is it to install it? the dealer told me you have to take the bumper off that seams a bit unreasonable
Old 04-02-2011, 01:31 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew13
Hey Gang.. Sorry for the duplication on this topic.. but i'm stuck.. Check dipped beam on the drivers side.. Took the assembly out, made sure all the contacts were secure.. and still flickering.. I find it odd that if I wack the lens, it sometimes comes on.. so I thought it must be something loose.. and appears to happen more in cold weather.. thoughts?

Also, any idea on how to change a right front fog light assembly? I have a 05 Cayenne S (no side vents). Hit a snow bank and busted one of the attachements. Is my only option to remove the entire bumper? if so, any thoughts on I how I go about it?
thx!!

ps. I do have the rear mounted spare, I'll post pics soon.
You might be able to get through the wheel well fender, removing the bumper is not that hard, I would do that. If you broke the mounts on the bumper you are sol, and need a new 700 dollar piece
Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by pakimunda101
I broke the mounting bracket, anyone know a good place to purchase a new mounting bracket for the headlight? Also how hard is it to install it? the dealer told me you have to take the bumper off that seams a bit unreasonable

Yes, the reason is the 3 or 4 screws you have to back out from the front, I did it but all I remember is you can get a socket with a flexible adapter and reach the end of the bolt, that has a hex head and screw it out that way. Hard to explain, basically just think of it as you are screwing the point of the screw, not the head. They are located in channels with extra holes in the bracket to reach through. If you remove your light, you should see what I mean. Hopefully it is just the bracket broken, not the piece it attaches to. That piece is actually a huge piece that holds the radiator in place and requires complete removal of the front end of the car.

Suncoast has them cheap.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 PM
touareg
Drifting

So I picked up a used 2002 mini cooper S late last year, and the headlights are similar in design to the cayenne and made by valeo. They have the box on the bottom, but on the mini cooper, it is only a control box, no ignitor. On these lights, when the ignitor starts to fail, the lights flicker. And the ignitor is burried in the light and non replaceable.

This made me think. Do we know for sure the ignitor is in the box in the bottom of the headlights?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
gtlimer
4th Gear

YOU SAVED MY LIFE!!!

LOL, thanks Touareg!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
I had similar connection issues with my turn indicator lights.
I followed the advice from another forum member and carried out the following.
Remove the headlight assembly and slightly bend up the metal contacts in the headlamp socket to provide a little more contact pressure when reinstalled.
This procedure has solved the problem.
Same problem, same cure yesterday. One turnsignal light out. Bulb was fine. Bent contacts in the turnsignal socket a bit, reinstalled it - worked fine.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtlimer
YOU SAVED MY LIFE!!!

LOL, thanks Touareg!!
Your welcome, you can buy me a beer now
Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 PM
touareg
Drifting

Just thought I would follow up with nearly a year gone by now.

I have not had my headlights go out once, however last month I started getting the check leveling error, which seems to only happens when it rains and the headlight first turns on.

I suspect the old headlight is finally giving the ghost, but otherwise works fine.

Advice to others, don't bother buying used headlights on ebay, as they are probably on there for the same reason you are getting rid of your own...
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
elycayenne06
AutoX

I have a Used Cayenne S 06 with “Check Dipped Beam” problem (on the driver side). A year ago, when this happen it was the D1S HID lamp. Now every time I turn the car on it’s a different result. I took touareg’s advice. Pulled the harness, shaved off the white connector side clips and removed the black side from the clamp, so now that white connector is 100% in (I hope, because that connection seem to be the problem), all I need to do is to slide my hand in and blindly plug the black connector in ( good news, it will go in only one way with a click).
15min later in transit, that same “Check Dipped Beam” popped. Stopped and turned the light on and off few times, it will dip, turn on and a minute later turn off with “Check Dipped Beam” on dash. So, it is not a connection (It’s in 100%). So, I replaced a D1S HID lamp and problem went away (for now). I’m thinking now, that there may be something going on with D1S HID lamps…The blinking on/off was happening while parked and connection was good...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

When D1S bulbs start to go, the voltage changes. They still light up, but the ballast will make it flash. I spent 3 months chasing connections when, for me, I only had to change the bulb that I thought was ok! I tried everything here, until I changed the bulb. Good 1 year now solid. Driving in NY potholes with lights on 3 hrs. daily. Damn time change.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Correction, Aperage changes with time. (found out from wikipedia!)
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal 2000
When D1S bulbs start to go, the voltage changes. They still light up, but the ballast will make it flash. I spent 3 months chasing connections when, for me, I only had to change the bulb that I thought was ok! I tried everything here, until I changed the bulb. Good 1 year now solid. Driving in NY potholes with lights on 3 hrs. daily. Damn time change.
Nice bit of useful info Hal. Thanks!

I experienced a similar situation with my wife's ML where one night, both halogen headlamps were non-functional. After a good hour of searching ground points, checking fuses and continuity, etc... my neighbor (a suited CPA) tells me to check the light bulbs. I scoffed at his idea but gave in just to make him happy. Sure enough, both bulbs were toast.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm another dipped beam error victim that things were all well for after changing to a new bulb. Occaisonally the bulb wouldn't lit but usually would. I'm glad it wasn't the ballast as they do cost much more.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
benstaples
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greatest fix ever. I was having issues a couple times a week. Tried all the other fixes to no avail. Did this a couple months ago and no issues to date. Thanks Touareg
Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
touareg
Drifting

Your welcome, donate to rennlist and become a member

Quick Reply: What I did to fix check dipped beam errors and headlights flickering or going out.