Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I did to fix check dipped beam errors and headlights flickering or going out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
Thanks for your response, I have tried everything suggested but still have the problem on the left front lamp. Maybe mine is not related to this issue and is the leveling sensor. I do not get the dipped beam warning only some fluctuation of the lamp up and down. I will update once I figure it out.
I missed the part about no errors.
My right xenon lamp was flicking up and down not too long ago.
It was an early indication that the lamp was failing.
I replaced the bulb and defect cleared.

To confirm, just swap the left and right D1S xenon bulbs and see if the defect transfers.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Messed with it some more and it seems a little better. If not, I will give the bulb swap a try and see what happens. Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Where did you purchase your bulbs for $80 for the set? I can not seem to find that good of a price anywhere. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Where did you purchase your bulbs for $80 for the set? I can not seem to find that good of a price anywhere. Thanks.
Looks like they are out of stock now, but with shipping was around $85, so I fudged a little on my quoted price Did the super saver, took a little over a week. The looked legit, not counterfeit when I got them, original box, bulb packed in a cardboard tube in the box and a paper foldout insert in a bunch of languages about specs, danger, hazardous material etc. If they are fake, it is not just the bulb but all the packaging looks legit.

These are the same ones I believe you would get at the dealer for closer to $200 per lamp, so $85 for the pair seemed pretty good, have had them 2 months now and only once have I had the reset.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Sylvania 39663 D1S HID - High Intensity Discharge Lamp, Pack of 1
Other products by Sylvania
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
3 Reviews
5 star:
(2)
4 star:
(1)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

› See all 3 customer reviews...
List Price: $56.00
Price: $38.81 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $17.19 (31%)
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
Temporarily out of stock.
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
2 new from $38.81
Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Update: Switched bulbs, problem continues, did this update as suggested and still problem continues, cleaned contacts and it still continues. The problem is only on the left front so I have ordered a new wire harness for that side and will see if that is the problem.

Do you have to remove the air box to get the back of the wire connection off the tray? I have still not received any errors, just the up and down random flickering/leveling. The Saga continues.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

I suppose you could also try interchanging the headlamp control units inside each headlight assembly to see if the circuitry is ok.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

I suppose you could also try interchanging the headlamp control units inside each headlight assembly to see if the circuitry is ok

That is the plan if the new wire harness does not make a difference.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Another update: Give me your thoughts on this one. Wire harness was not here yet but I was changing the oil so I had some time to mess with the lamps again. Decided to swap out the ballasts from right to left just to see what would happen and if the problem would then move to the right lamp. Everything seemed fine yesterday and no movement of the lamps. This morning on the way to work, both lights are now randomly self leveling instead of the just the left front. Not sure how the system works but they probably run in sequence so maybe it is the right ballast/control unit causing the problem. I will swap the control units back and see if the problems go back to just the left lamp. Still no warnings or dipped beam messages.

Wire harness should be here today, still trying to figure out how to remove the back of the plut without taking everything apart, any suggestions?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received the wiring harness but it appears to be the wrong one! It is missing wires on the bottom right two holes, seems it may not be for the xenon lamps and may be for the halogens. I will have to send back to get the correct part or maybe it's been updated and those pins are not needed, don't think so.

The part number is the same as the one listed at the beginning of the post.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Changed the pig tail connection and the problem continues. Unfortunately it is ramdom and does not happen all the time which makes me think that maybe it is not the sensors. If I drive the car during the day and put the lights on in the evening, the problem does not seem to appear. I take my daughter to school in the morning and this is when it seems to happen the most. Thinking it was the battery causing the problem, I put the battery on the charger over night but the problem continued in the morning. I guess it could be a bad cell in the battery causing some type of voltage drop causing the lights to self level. Any thoughts on this being a battery problem?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Did you swap the control units back to their original positions and the defect is now back with the left light?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

I did swap back and they look like both sides are doing it now.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
touareg
Drifting

Changed the pig tail connection and the problem continues. Unfortunately it is ramdom and does not happen all the time which makes me think that maybe it is not the sensors. If I drive the car during the day and put the lights on in the evening, the problem does not seem to appear. I take my daughter to school in the morning and this is when it seems to happen the most. Thinking it was the battery causing the problem, I put the battery on the charger over night but the problem continued in the morning. I guess it could be a bad cell in the battery causing some type of voltage drop causing the lights to self level. Any thoughts on this being a battery problem?

A month a go, my right headlight was whacked by a flying barrel lid on the highway, which led to that light and my bumper getting replaced with a turbo one

If anyone wants a slightly worn 2 part S bumper, with broken passenger side fog light mounts, let me know.

Anyways, I have a passenger side light if you want to cannibalize it for parts, maybe one of the motors has a circuit/coil issue in yours? This was the one that didn't have any problems. Would be nice to get to the bottom of this, as mine does it once in a while too still, thought not as bad as before. Would save you the cost of replacing the whole headlight, it is a little tight in there so not sure what parts you can pull.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Thanks Touareg! I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Love the Turbo front end, How involved was the turbo replacement? Maybe that is what is wrong with my lights!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 PM
touareg
Drifting

Thanks Touareg! I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Love the Turbo front end, How involved was the turbo replacement? Maybe that is what is wrong with my lights!
All the parts are posted somewhere on the forum. I didn't get the turbo inter cooler ducts, so if you look close at the pic you can see the smaller fake ducts from the S behind the grill. I decided to go with the sensor holes being filled. My guy assured me there would be no problems. Took him about a week to paint prep and put it on.

Quick Reply: What I did to fix check dipped beam errors and headlights flickering or going out.