Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Porsche revise the OEM replacement battery? My original vent tube is not fitting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 PM
nealM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Porsche revise the OEM replacement battery? My original vent tube is not fitting.

I just bought an OEM replacement battery for my 05 Cayenne Turbo from the dealer.

Went to install it and the original fitting on the battery end of the vent tube does not fit.

Did they change something? The battery does not come with a new vent tube, the dealer mentioned they had spare Interstate ones and we could try to find one that fits.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

new battery is supposed to come with new tube. got mine from autozone.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
nealM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has been my experience with aftermarket replacements, but for some reason the OEM one did not come with one and the dealer said it does not.

I am going to swing by there tomorrow to see if we can find one that fits.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just replaced mine with OEM, didn't have a issue, used existing tube, it did come with a T for the tube but I didn't use it.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
new battery is supposed to come with new tube. got mine from autozone.
Did you get the battery or the vent tube from Autozone?

Curious, I'm at about 4.5 yrs. since production date on the Pepper, how long are people finding the OE batteries to last and what are you replacing them with?

I'm one of those people who considers a battery a maintenance item, I don't wait until it leaves me stranded some dark and stormy night to replace it. However I don't replace it unless I suspect it's starting to get weak.

Maybe I should start a new thread/poll on batteries?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

3-7 yrs for an OEM battery, depending on climate.

An AC conductance (load) test is a good way of knowing if it's getting close to "that time".
Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I have 84k on my 03 CTT. My CTT is having a difficult time starting. I will assume it is the battery as the battery warning light comes on after it fires up. Also I get "Air Suspension Faulty Workshop" but that goes away quickly. The dealer is saying that replacement (one under the seat) is about $500.

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
3-7 yrs for an OEM battery, depending on climate.

An AC conductance (load) test is a good way of knowing if it's getting close to "that time".
While I agree with you on the load test I haven't found them to be worthwhile on my previous 2 vehicles (Sequoia and Tahoe). After having intermittent start/memory errors on the vehicles I took the vehicles to my local Interstate dist. shop and both batteries tested fine. After dealing with the problems for another month or so I replaced the batteries, problems went away.

I also had a BMW R100GS motorcycle still with the stock BMW battery after 10 yrs. I went ahead and replaced it though, figured I got my money's worth out of it.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was 5 years old and still tested well except I had a funny when I got back to the airport onetime after a trip and the clock was wrong

Being a geek I took that as the first warning sign and changed it the following weekend with an Autozone unit, cant remember the price exactly but $130 less return of the old one so about $120

If you do it read the manual carefully its one of the better written parts in my opinion

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Did you get the battery or the vent tube from Autozone?

Curious, I'm at about 4.5 yrs. since production date on the Pepper, how long are people finding the OE batteries to last and what are you replacing them with?

I'm one of those people who considers a battery a maintenance item, I don't wait until it leaves me stranded some dark and stormy night to replace it. However I don't replace it unless I suspect it's starting to get weak.

Maybe I should start a new thread/poll on batteries?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

FWIW here is Interstate's replacement for an '06 V8. $193/$256

Interstate
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the OEM battery is the same as the Touareg? Mine's also getting close to that time...wondering if it is cheaper at the VW dealer.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Order it from Sunset, it as $200 shipped, just had to buy acid, it needed about 32 oz. for each of the 8 cells.

I got 6 years and 55k miles out of my factory one, hence the reason I went with the OEM replacement.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
Does anyone know if the OEM battery is the same as the Touareg? Mine's also getting close to that time...wondering if it is cheaper at the VW dealer.
This is a trick question, right?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
This is a trick question, right?
It'd be kind of silly if it was a different battery...but you never know exactly which parts that 75% VAG content includes.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I just changed mine on my CTT. I think it was $75 from Walmart. Yes Walmart. It came with vent tube. There is a long thread on RennTech about batteries in the 996 Forum. There are only a handful on companies that produce batteries and many retailers like Walmart just rebadge the battery. Walmart batteries have a high CCA rating and maintenance free. They are made b Johnson Controls.

My CTT just past 5 years, so I proactively changed it. Since it is so hard to get to, and you need the triple square bit, I decided to do it in the Fall vs the coldest NY day. The old battery looked brand new, but was stamped May 2004.

Quick Reply: Did Porsche revise the OEM replacement battery? My original vent tube is not fitting.