Sponsored by:

How to negotiate with dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 PM
carl_lazlo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to negotiate with dealer?

First let me say thanks to all for the great info in these forums!

On to my question:

I'm very interested in leasing a Cayenne or Cayenne S. I have driven the base Cayenne and will be going back for the S this week. I'm sure after driving the S I will end up getting that one, but my problem is with the dealership. WHen I talked some general prices with the dealer I was quoted prices that were each 10K more than the numbers I have seen here and elsewhere. I have heard stories about this dealership not being very good with the deals they offer. (Northern NJ area)

If I want an 07 Cayenne S and will lease 15K miles for 36 months what would be a fair price for the vehicle and with average credit and say 4 K down what kind of monthly payment would I be looking at? I seem to remember the porsche web site being around $910 per month. Even this seems high since I can get a $60K BMW for around $700 mo.

Does porsche have high interest rates or is the website just off?

When I goto the dealer what leverage do I have to negotiate with? I read somewhere that they are doing a full redesign in 08'.

Any help would be appreciated. My ability to negotiate a good deal on this will be the factor in me going with Porsche or BMW. (And I really love the Cayenne)

If you could negotiate the "perfect" deal, what would it be?

I see no point in wasting money if I can get a better deal.

Thanks!

Last edited by carl_lazlo; 10-08-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carl, there are no 07 Cayennes, Porsche plans to introduce a somewhat changed 08 in early 07 ( I am told March/April). Porsche has recently introduced a Titanium edition Cayenne S with some upgrades, differrent paint schemes etc. You can go to Edmonds or Kelly and find out what the current selling prices are around the country. If your dealer will not deal, go to another, while the Cayenne is a great platform, it is not worth paying MSRP for any longer. If you search this site you will find a lot of info on prices, in fact, there are some that say that dealers in CA are discounting the Turbo S $10-15K, I think you can find comparable deals on an S if you are willing to work for it. Good Luck, I have owned mine for 3.5 years and have had no issues what so ever. I am on the list for an 08 Turbo at my local dealer and I will not be paying MSRP, at least that is as far as our conversation has gone so far.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:54 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cay-ute
If your dealer will not deal, go to another, while the Cayenne is a great platform, it is not worth paying MSRP for any longer. If you search this site you will find a lot of info on prices, in fact, there are some that say that dealers in CA are discounting the Turbo S $10-15K, I think you can find comparable deals on an S if you are willing to work for it. Good Luck, I have owned mine for 3.5 years and have had no issues what so ever. I am on the list for an 08 Turbo at my local dealer and I will not be paying MSRP, at least that is as far as our conversation has gone so far.
Agree that S isn't selling for MSRP unless you have a dealer who is just not getting many and then doesn't have much trouble selling them.. but in today's world, I can't believe anyone won't shop around so that dealer may just see you as "not serious" or is waiting for you to actually get in the chair and "do the nasty" with them. I bought a second one and had a "BETA" model (read the forums) and just wasn't willing to risk anymore "issues" with 72K miles and no ext. warranty. I bought a Tit.S (love abbreviating it that way!) from my same dealer. If you'll go to the internet and email dealers and persuade them you're serious, you should be able to get a local dealer to close to the deal you could get long distance with email/calls. This website and others are saying about 6-10% off sticker is doable depending on time of the month (i.e. need one/two more cars to make allotment), dealer's location, and dealer inventory. The current KBB and others state that there is a 1.5% holdback but unlike other manf. Porsche makes their dealers earn it by customer surveys, ind. ratings etc. You won't get that because the dealer isn't sure he'll get it. Come on in the Cayenne water is warm and the kool-aid is purplesaurus rex!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:09 PM
UtterNirvana
Track Day

First off, good choice in selecting the Cayenne S as a future vehicle.

...Back to your original topic and questions...

The main problem with Porsche vs. BMW or Audi is that they usually never offer any type of special leasing rates (money factors, cap costs, depreciated values) as the other German manufacturers do. Be prepared to do your homework when you lease a Porsche. The best thing you can do is negotiate what the reduced capitalization cost of the car will be ($$$price).

Just a FYI, I was able to negotiate the price of a fairly loaded 06 Turbo (msrp of 101K) down to 89k.

The best things to do, before you negotiate a lease with Porsche is:

1. Check what invoice pricing is ( here is a link )
2. A good lifetime purchase ($20) for lease calculations and understanding what is involved in a lease ( Lease Guide )
3. A simple site of what other types of Leasing Agents could offer for leasing the vehicle (Lease Compare )
4. Prepare an alternative lease agent (i.e. Credit Union, Chase, Wells Fargo). These alternatives may be able to help you with the finance rate/money factor.

With the above resources, you should be able to gain the knownledge of what will be a good deal for YOU! Figures people can give you from random sites can not be fully substantiated.

I hope this helps. It sure did for me. Best of luck!!!
Ryan
Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
hamiam
Instructor

In late 2005, I paid $63k for my MSRP $70k CS. I wud think with a new model coming out they will be eager to rid themselves of the old ones. I live in NYC and the arrogance of my local dealer as well as ones in northern NJ and Westchester really turned me off. I ended up buying mine at the dealer in Greenwich, CT. The salesman from there left and is now head of sales at the Fairfield dealer. I would highly recommend him. In a team of 6 sales people he sold something like 40% of the cars the dealership sold so he must be doing something right.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell your soul and then you and the dealer will be on a level playing field.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:07 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I CHEAT

i let my wife buy all of my cars. i will go to edmunds and kbb, do the research, and list the options i want with the invoice cost for her, then stand back and let her go to work. as she has nothing invested in the dealing, she is ruthless. i have gotten calls from sales managers begging me to come down and talk them, i just refer them back to her. it is funny to watch as she runs deals all over the country.

i got a MSRP 75k 2005 CS for 60k in mid 05, with everything i wanted on it except the color (got black).

of course, now it is going back, but that wasn't her fault.

DT
Old 10-10-2006, 01:46 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by carl_lazlo
... I have heard stories about this dealership not being very good with the deals they offer. (Northern NJ area)
Dealership name?..

If I want an 07 Cayenne S and will lease 15K miles for 36 months what would be a fair price for the vehicle and with average credit and say 4 K down what kind of monthly payment would I be looking at? I seem to remember the porsche web site being around $910 per month. Even this seems high since I can get a $60K BMW for around $700 mo.
Does porsche have high interest rates or is the website just off?
...usually PORSCHE AG positions their Cayennes in a leases $100-150 above BMW and other competition for prestige purposes...

BMW, Audi, for example, lease rates are SUBSIDIZED by the manufacturer. This is their MECHANIZM to regulate, influence how many cars of SPECIFIC model manufacturer "pushes out of the dealer doors to the customer homes..." to keep their dollar income STEADY in the US... Pay close attention to a money factor ("cost to the customer to borrow money from PORSCHE/BMW/AUDI FS bank") for different models below, for example, for 36 mo...

.00115=2.76 artificially VERY LOW interest rate ??? SUBSIDIZED !!!
.00150=3.6 artificially LOW interest rate SUBSIDIZED !!!
.00320=7.68 REGULAR interest rate

...what interest rate do we have currently in the US?..

...for example:
existing 2006 BMW x5 44 lease rates as of 10-06-06:

24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 67% of MSRP – .00150 Base Money Factor Rate
36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 56% of MSRP – .00150 Base Money Factor Rate
48 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 35% of MSRP – .00319 Base Money Factor Rate
60 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 28% of MSRP – .00319 Base Money Factor Rate

2007 Audi Q7 4.2 lease rates as of 10-06-06:

12 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 71% of MSRP – .00115 Base Money Factor Rate
24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 67% of MSRP – .00115 Base Money Factor Rate
36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 56% of MSRP – .00115 Base Money Factor Rate

existing 2006 Cayenne S lease rates as of 10-06-06:

24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 55% of MSRP – .00320 Base Money Factor Rate
36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 52% of MSRP – .00320 Base Money Factor Rate
48 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 42% of MSRP – .00330 Base Money Factor Rate
60 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 35% of MSRP – .00330 Base Money Factor Rate

...When I goto the dealer what leverage do I have to negotiate with?..
You can ONLY negotiate down ONE variable in a lease equation:
SALE PRICE called "base/net cap cost"=reduced MSRP of the vehicle.

...other variables are SET FIXED for the current month/quarter and represent PORSCHE/BMW/AUDI FS bank's view of the current economy/market environment...these other variables (money factor, residual value) suppose to be presented to the dealers for the customers. VERY OFTEN DIRTY dealers lie and artificially INFLATE known PORSCHE/BMW/AUDI FS bank's current money factors ADDING THEIR HIDDEN charges ON TOP OF THE bank's...hidden dealer profit pocket!!!

...If you could negotiate the "perfect" deal, what would it be?..
...below is a "perfect" regular new $62K car deal for you today...8% off MSRP...
...if you do better, call yourself lucky brilliant individual... successfully handling dealer predators TODAY...

...2006 CayenneS MSRP $62K, 36mo 15Kmi $5K down:
$867/mo

36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 52% of MSRP – .00320 Base Money Factor Rate

details below:
MSRP: $62000
base cap cost: $57000 (after 8%= $5K off MSRP)
cap cost reduction: $5000 (your down payment NOT including bank fees etc...)
adjusted net cap cost: $52000
residual value: 52%=$32240
money factor: .0032=7.68 regular PORSCHE FS interest rate(NOT SUBSIDIZED)
term: 36 mo 15Kmi/year
sales tax: 6%

=> result: $867/mo=$818+$49 tax

...use www.leaseguide.com lease calculator...

...recommend CayS for you...
...no lease rates available for new CayS=2008 CayS starting February 2007...

Enjoy,

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 10-10-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Sell your soul and then you and the dealer will be on a level playing field.
...for every smart a$$=dealer, there is an ADEQUATE screwdriver to be used...

... just do not forget it home, when you go to the dealership...

OZRacing
Old 10-10-2006, 08:39 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ozr
Dealership name?..

...usually PORSCHE AG positions their Cayennes in a leases $100-150 above BMW and other competition for prestige purposes...

BMW, Audi, for example, lease rates are SUBSIDIZED by the manufacturer. This is their MECHANIZM to regulate, influence how many cars of SPECIFIC model manufacturer "pushes out of the dealer doors to the customer homes..." to keep their dollar income STEADY in the US... Pay close attention to a money factor ("cost to the customer to borrow money from PORSCHE/BMW/AUDI FS bank") for different models below, for example, for 36 mo...

.00115=2.76 artificially VERY LOW interest rate ??? SUBSIDIZED !!!
.00150=3.6 artificially LOW interest rate SUBSIDIZED !!!
.00320=7.68 REGULAR interest rate

<snip>

Excellent post, I'm so tired of hearing on other boards "I paid this and if you didn't you got screwed" with NO explanation of how or why they are paying what they claim.

So many people shop the car THEN the financing and end up screwed in the end because they let their emotions get in the way. The smart shopper puts the financing together BEFORE they ever set foot in a dealership or at least knows which companies are subsidizing their financing so they can make an informed decision.

Again, Excellent post.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:40 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
Excellent post, I'm so tired of hearing on other boards "I paid this and if you didn't you got screwed" with NO explanation of how or why they are paying what they claim.

So many people shop the car THEN the financing and end up screwed in the end because they let their emotions get in the way. The smart shopper puts the financing together BEFORE they ever set foot in a dealership or at least knows which companies are subsidizing their financing so they can make an informed decision.

Again, Excellent post.
AGREED. It isn't about the price off list.. it's the trade-in you got.. it's the financing.. it's the dealer added options.. it's the time of the month.. does one car more on 30th/31st get them to their allotment.. etc. Lastly, all these guys that lease a Porsche.. didn't get a "great" deal.. they may have got a "good" deal.. PAG puts NO money into the lease deal.. so, in general, the lease is only an avg. lease.. i.e. I agree with you and OZR (as tough as that it is to admit).. Laslty, not to be condescending here.. and I understand many do not have the financial means to do so.. but when you pay cash.. your money talks and BS isn't ever presented.. here's the deal I'm willing to pay.. when I bought my vehicle.. I did my research on the web .. got quotes from dealers but only in cities close to mine (i.e. only one dealer here.. even though they've been good to me their in biz to make a profit).. I went in and said.. I want X off list.. and I want Y for my trade (both slightly but not much more than what I thought they would do).. we settled on X + 175 on the price.. and Y-1000 on the trade.. but they netted the ext. warranty and through in installed clear side markers.. no money factor bullschitzu.. this is how I buy every car I've had in the past 20 years and oooops, one last thing.. I talk with the Salesman and then straight to the GM. If they have an attitude then I go somewhere else and I NEVER NEVER argue or move much from my original price.. YOU CANNOT FALL IN LOVE WITH THE VEHICLE.. you have to be prepared to leave.. I have on many occasions on "nice" terms and then 1/2 the time they call me back.. I always start about 2-3 days before the end of the month.. with the exception of this time.. because I was afraid of a need brakes light and a water pump about to go! Hope this helps.. and it's worth just what you paid for the opinion.. ZIP!

Last edited by MadFox; 10-10-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We came into an out of state dealership in October of last year, saw what later turned out to be our car ('05 CS), and then returned one month later to get roughly $11k off of msrp, but this was a cash purchase.

So, mainly, this is all about timing, which should be reflected on the lease as well.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
We came into an out of state dealership in October of last year, saw what later turned out to be our car ('05 CS), and then returned one month later to get roughly $11k off of msrp, but this was a cash purchase.

So, mainly, this is all about timing, which should be reflected on the lease as well.
I agree with Ms. Enigma about timing...

Makes sense to shop different dealerships because they all have different motivations based on their inventory, when their fiscal year ends, etc...Like Enigma Wmn, I have the good fortune to live within a 2 hr. or so drive of at least 6 or 7 dealerships that I can think of, so the the competition is pretty stiff for good customers.

I've bought 2 P cars (also from an out of state dealer) in the last 11 months. Got about 10% off the Cayenne S (as a custom order) and about 11% off a 987S (also as a custom order). It is not uncommon for leftover models at the end of the model year, or before the end of the dealer's fiscal year, to go out the door for a few hundred bucks above invoice (which is generally 13-14% below sticker). You can learn the invoice price of these cars on Edmunds down to every little option.

Enigma Wmn got a tremndous deal...even better than the ones I got...it shows you that you can get a great deal from the right dealer, at the right time...especially on more uncommon colors or option set ups.

One last thing I would offer on pricing...Although my CS is loaded up pretty good with options, I have come to believe that 95% of the joy of these P cars has to do with their driving characteristics-- perfomance, handing etc.--- and their looks...with options being a far less important characteristic. Porsche options can raise the cost of the car VERY fast. For example, my CS had a base price, without options, of about $58K, but it ended up to sticker at $70K+. When purchasing a 987 S recently, I decided to skinny down the options and I ended up getting out the door for only $52K and change...a lot of car for the money IMO, as I often see dealer spec'd 987S's listed in the mid-60's. So, if you want to be careful on cost, I think you could get a Cayenne S with a limited number of options and be out the door for less than $55K...and you'd been getting a lot of car/truck for that money.

Can't help you on the leasing side, as I haven't done it that way.

Last edited by rome; 10-11-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
hamiam
Instructor

edmunds.com has a good article on how to buy a new car at a dealer. seems that end of the month and end of the day are the best times as quotas need to be met and the like. i think if u have the luxury of time you can almost always get a better deal. find out the invoice on the car in question; that is your starting bid. The dealer will start with the MSRP and work down from there. And you can walk out of the room at any time. Any dealer can swap with another for a car you want so you really are not stuck.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Maybe you need to consider this as well...
I paid $64K for my 04 Turbo with 11K miles. If you could find a used Cayenne S you like, you will save a ton of money. There are SO MANY Cayenne's in the used market right now. For what you pay for a new "S" you could look at used turbos which are so much more car. I think dealers are much more negotiable on the used cars.

Quick Reply: How to negotiate with dealer?