Sponsored by:

Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Plate

Just got the license plates for my new Cayenne. Got a stupid question: how do you guys install the front plate? I've got the backing plate, but don't see a way to put it on the bumper. Do I need to drill holes?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dealer normally drills the holes at PDI, unless instructed otherwise.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:14 PM
alcantara
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it were me I'd leave it off...front plates suck. I wish my dealer didn't install the damn mount.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Dealer installed mine, but someone on this board posted a picture of having the mount hanging down below the center grill rather than mounting it properly and having it obstruct the center grill. Much nicer look with it lower, though best world would be no license.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:18 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer left the mount in the car. I would've put the plate on if I didn't have to have holes drilled in the bumper, but now I may re-consider.

Last week I went to Kragan's and got something called "Cruiser Shield" for the plate, which is basically a shaded license plate cover. If I must have a front plate, I thought at least I'd make it look somewhat cool looking.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 PM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how I mounted mine...looks better this way

BUT I would let the dealer do it....I went to drill the holes for this in the spot where you are supposed to when I first got the car (dealer forgot to install it) When I pulled out the drill bit next thing I know Washer Fluid is pouring out all over the place !!
Turns out there is a hose that runs right behind there up against the cowl for the front washers....the dealer told me everyone who has tried to do this themselves hase done the same thing....luckily they replaced the hose for me and installed the plate correctly....what a PITA !!!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM
momoC4S
Rennlist Member

racer_65,

I just put on my front plate but did not use the existing holes...going to fill/paint those. Someone else already mentioned the alternative mounting location thread. If you search for "front license plate" in the Cayenne forum, you should find it. I used the same location but used some different fasteners. The new location does look better IMO, but I wouldn't go blasting through any snow banks with it...

I can try to take a pic of what I did if you are interested.

Morgan

Trending Topics

Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by momoC4S
racer_65,

I just put on my front plate but did not use the existing holes...going to fill/paint those. Someone else already mentioned the alternative mounting location thread. If you search for "front license plate" in the Cayenne forum, you should find it. I used the same location but used some different fasteners. The new location does look better IMO, but I wouldn't go blasting through any snow banks with it...

I can try to take a pic of what I did if you are interested.

Morgan
Bringing this old thread back to life. Anyone know where this "alternative mounting location" thread is? I've been searching and today it is definitely NOT my friend.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
Bringing this old thread back to life. Anyone know where this "alternative mounting location" thread is? I've been searching and today it is definitely NOT my friend.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...+license+plate
Old 04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alcantara
if it were me I'd leave it off...front plates suck. .
Unfortunately in many states it is illegal not to run a front plate. By doing so you are just giving the cops a free reason to stop you. Which could really suck if you are driving home after a few glasses of wine with dinner.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Dont put the plate on!!!!!!!! It will ruin the look of the front end.. your luck your dealer didnt pre drilll
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gaurang
Dont put the plate on!!!!!!!! It will ruin the look of the front end.. your luck your dealer didnt pre drilll

Ended up getting an adapter that will allow me to install the plate using the Tow Hook. Will post some pics once it's installed.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a post while back that had something Porsche sells to solve this problem and I'm pretty sure it didn't involve drilling holes in the car. I asked the poster for a picture of the part, and the P/N on it is 7L5 807 287. Talk to your dealer about it. When I found my Pig it was in Kalifornia, I asked the dealer to prep it for the plate and they didn't - so I've been without it for 18 months. I guess they forgot to drill the holes because when it rolled off the trailer here in Idaho it was without them.
I do believe the car is much faster and handles better without a front plate, if Pig performance is near the top of your list you might want to consider not using one. I keep mine back with the spare tire, where it doesn't upset the delicate aerodynamics or balance of this refined sport SUV.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richc
There was a post while back that had something Porsche sells to solve this problem and I'm pretty sure it didn't involve drilling holes in the car. I asked the poster for a picture of the part, and the P/N on it is 7L5 807 287. Talk to your dealer about it. When I found my Pig it was in Kalifornia, I asked the dealer to prep it for the plate and they didn't - so I've been without it for 18 months. I guess they forgot to drill the holes because when it rolled off the trailer here in Idaho it was without them.
I do believe the car is much faster and handles better without a front plate, if Pig performance is near the top of your list you might want to consider not using one. I keep mine back with the spare tire, where it doesn't upset the delicate aerodynamics or balance of this refined sport SUV.
I only need mine to pass MA state inspection. Plate has to be "properly" installed where "properly" is at the discretion of the inspector. Once you pass inspection you can elect to take the plate off and take your chances of adding to your fine if you get pulled over for some other infraction.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.moweraxle.com/
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Front Plate