Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo vs Mercedes E55

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Turbo vs Mercedes E55

I've seen some posts that mention these two vehicles in the same post but I'd like to get some additional first-hand perspectives on these two vehicles. We have driven both an E500 and a Cayenne S but we have not found any local CT's or E55's to drive and consider. We currently own a 2000 C2 Coupe (which we would either sell or trade + cash ) but we are needing something larger since my wife and I are in the process of starting a family. The new vehicle will be my weekend car and my wife's weekday car. Any personal experiences with these vehicles? Which one is a better "family" car? I know the E55 will be faster but which one will handle better? Between the E500 and the Cayenne S, I thought the Cayenne S was slower but it was less "floaty" and felt more fun to drive.

TIA
Old 05-03-2006, 02:35 AM
ms914GT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an E but have a C55 and the CT. These are two separate entities at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Both are wicked fast, great luxury and highly capable vehicles. The nod for speed and handling would have to go to the C, a small car with a monster V8, that said though I have only had the CT for a week, this opinion is subject to change. The only negative about the C55 is that the fuel tank is only 16 gallons and trips to the pump are more often than its bigger brother. It is a great sedan and hauls the family effortlessly with plenty of room. However it is the wifes car and the poor AMG alloys are taking a few licks here and there.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:23 PM
VinnyC
Racer

I had the 2004 E55. Great car. Fast. Fun. Well constructed. The problem with it was it did not handle well. A lot of power in the rear was dangerous and I found myself sideways more than once on lightly wet or dirty Roads. Much like a Corvette or mustang in the handling dept. Honestly, I was nervous every time the wife was out in less than perfect weather.
I also had the Cayenne S and recently drove the turbo for the first time. The Cayenne has more room and is better suited for a family car in my opinion. I also think it's much safer in an SUV. The S is very sporty and feels more like a big car than an SUV. The Turbo is my next purchase and I was VERY impressed with the performance along with the SUV package. Similar performance numbers to the E55 and 911 and practical for everyday use.
Good Luck with your decision.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies! Vinny, your comment on the E55's power and getting "loose" at the rear was something I was interested to hear about. I had a feeling that it would be a handful to drive and I was a little leery about letting my wife loose in something like that. I see you are in Sarasota. We moved from St Pete about 1.5 years ago. Beautiful area and we miss it but we are enjoying life in Tulsa.

Ms914gt, good luck with the new CT! Let me know if you get any new perspectives on it.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:22 PM
OldManIn911
Intermediate

Let me add my 2 cents. Until a month ago I owned both a Cayenne S and an E55 AMG when I traded the E55 for a new 911 Carerra. There's no comparison between the two cars -- they are different animals alltogether. In my opinion, neither one are "sports cars." If you need to carry "stuff", then the Cayenne is the better choice, and it's fun to drive. The E55 is by far the best sedan I've ever owned (and that includes a bunch of cars), but it can be scarey, especially if there's any moisture around at all. You can spin the wheels at ANY legal speed just by flooring it. The Cayenne seems to take a moment to get moving. As far as cornering is concerned, the E55 did quite well... not like a 911 of course, but noticeably better than my wife's A6 4.2. I just don't feel comfortable pushing the Cayenne around corners like that....but I'm sure others disagree. As far as straight-line accelleration, the E55 wins hands down! On the other hand, I had to replace the rear tires on the E55 every 12,000, whereas the Cayenne "all season" tires show almost no wear at 20,000. Either car will make you a great vehicle.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 PM
SchH III
Intermediate

My experience with a new 2005 E55 was dismal as the car was plagued with electrical problems and, for me, the handling imprecise. Following 1,300 miles and 9 months of frustration, the car was "sold." The only positive was the car accelerated quickly in a straight line. The E55 was replaced with a 997s which has been a delight and trouble free; in fact, my satisfaction with the Carrera S lead to my decision to purchase a Cayenne Turbo S whose overall performance and acceleration parallel that of the E55. The Cayenne too has been trouble free, has not consumed any oil in 2,500 miles, and in my opinion, is the ultimate SUV. For a family multi purpose vehicle, one cannot do better.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo vs Mercedes E55