Sponsored by:

Question for anyone running an FM modulator

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:30 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for anyone running an FM modulator

After much research, I finally decided to install a Sirius satellite receiver in my CT. I had an installer use the posts by mudman for the FM modulator and the antenna installation in the spoiler.

It was an OK installation - I have an ipod on a proclip mount to the right of the radio. I preferred this over the panavise unit (bolts onto radio) as I've had other cars where the trim pieces get hacked up from the metal. Anyway, proclip also has a piece that allows 2 devices to be held on the same bracket. I placed the ipod on top with a Starbase unit below it. It looks alright, but definitely not stealth. To boot, he told me he was the master at tucking wires, but they're lying out in the breeze.

I got the euro antenna adapters from Best Buy for the FM modulator. Turns out they don't work with my radio. Mudman's pictures show what looks like the adaptor that I was given. But it doesn't fit. The installer used a wireless kit - he claimed that the signal was very strong and reception/interference shouldn't be a problem. I told him to use it, at least until I could get the right adapters. He installed the FM modulator, so it just needs to be plugged in.

While he was at it, he also installed my V1, although I actually ran the wire for him. He basically just tied it into a switched line. Unfortunately, I chose not to use the remote unit in the Cayenne. There really isn't a great place to put it. The main unit is actually easier to use instead. I just don't like it near me - I always had it tucked behind the mirror on the passenger side where it was hidden.

Well, the sound on the Sirius is really marginal. My ipod with an itrip sounds much fuller and more dynamic. However, the itrip has some hiss and static, with an occasional reception problem. The satellite has no hiss or static. The station sounds locked on. It just sounds like it's coming out of a clock radio.

In addition, I found that the satellite reception isn't too good; it cuts out frequently and sometimes for a decent period of time (a few seconds). I was always told that drop outs would be a fraction of a second.

After all this, I have a few questions.
1) does anyone know if there is now a different euro antenna adaptor to fit the Cayenne? I am assuming that the wireless system is responsible for the terrible quality sound. If the sound remains like this, I won't be using the satellite except to listen to talk radio/sports.

2) has anyone with the antenna installed in the spoiler noticed sub-par reception?

3) is it worth taking my CT to Circuit City instead to finish the installation? As I said, I wasn't overly impressed with the handling of the wires.

4) for mudman, is the FM modulated ipod sound worth it? I'm waiting on this with the hope that Dension comes out with icelink soon.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:19 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post !

I did try the wireless with no success. I have tried since I went the other way just in case someone figures out the internal screening in the Cayenne, I returned them all.

Seriously the only thing I cannot stand, is the noise of the switched mode power supplies when trying to charge and play my iPod at the same time. Other than that I find the sound quality more than good, just less than CD quality.

The Sirius is just as good and a little easier to use due to the power sensing FM Modulator Kenwood supplied.

All I can say about your installer is that if I can do it a trained monkey should be able to thats all. It aint that hard.

Try Circuit City for the adapters they stock them.

I notice dropouts on Satelite when I travel alongside heavy concentrations of overhead cables and under dense tree cover, nothing I cant live with and my antenna is a Terk Mag in the rear spoiler, I think 5db gain.

Mike
Old 06-11-2005, 12:33 AM
356driver
Racer

My results using FM wireless modulator with Delphi Skyfi2 XM receiver (FWIW). I put the antenna in the spoiler with good results:

- Sound varies from OK to very good. I don't understand why it varies but I suspect a hardwired modulator would fix all ills.

- Satellite reception is very good but is definitely sensitive to line of site. Reception cuts out when going under overpass, in parking garage, under big trees or going through canyons where terrain blocks direction of satellite.

I've learned the limits and am overall happy, but not ecstatic, with the setup. I would definitely pay to have XM added to my PCM if given the chance.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eugkim
I'm waiting on this with the hope that Dension comes out with icelink soon.
If you believe their last press update, it should be this month (June).
Old 06-11-2005, 12:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Details from the DensionUSA website
(interesting to note that this does NOT appear on their European (home) website....hmmmn).

http://www.densionusa.com/news_press.htm

DENSION DEBUTS IPOD INTEGRATION TO “MOST” FIBRE OPTIC VEHICLES – AN INDUSTRY FIRST!
(footnote: no, it actually is not an industry first...but that's a story for another place and time)
Signal Hill, CA., Jan. 6—Visitors to this year’s CES (Jan 6-9 in Las Vegas,NV) and Macworld Expo (Jan 11-14 in San Francisco, CA) events will see Dension Audio Systems’ innovative integration of the Apple iPod to the “MOST” fibre optic vehicle infotainment platform.
More and more of these vehicles are supporting the MOST standard and we are delighted to be the first company to offer an aftermarket integration solution for this platform.” said Lee Harris, Director, Product Marketing. “We expect to start shipping by Q2 2005 and we will be glad to demonstrate our integration to visitors to our CES Booth #71453 and Apple Expo Booth #807”.

WORLD’S FIRST FULL IPOD INTEGRATION FOR MERCEDES BENZ AUTOMOBILES WITH FIBER OPTIC RADIO SYSTEM

Signal Hill, CA., Dec. 8-- Dension Audio Systems today announces that its ice>Link Plus vehicle integration kit for the Apple iPod is now available for the Mercedes Benz fiber optic “D2B” radio systems.
“Dension is devoting significant engineering resources to bring iPod interfacing to fiber optic vehicles that are not yet supported” said Alfred Barabas, CEO of Dension USA. We are expecting a solution by Q2/20005 for the “MOST” system equipped E-Class (W211), late model S- and CL-Class, the new SLK-Class (R171) and the mid-model updated 2005 C- and SL-Class.

Q2 2005....that would be right about now.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:36 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by eugkim
1) does anyone know if there is now a different euro antenna adaptor to fit the Cayenne? I am assuming that the wireless system is responsible for the terrible quality sound. If the sound remains like this, I won't be using the satellite except to listen to talk radio/sports.

2) has anyone with the antenna installed in the spoiler noticed sub-par reception?

3) is it worth taking my CT to Circuit City instead to finish the installation? As I said, I wasn't overly impressed with the handling of the wires.

4) for mudman, is the FM modulated ipod sound worth it? I'm waiting on this with the hope that Dension comes out with icelink soon.
http://forums1.roadfly.com/porsche/f...5207309-1.html
http://forums1.roadfly.com/porsche/f...5218626-1.html

OZRacing
Old 06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

As I am a very impatient and impulsive person, it was driving me crazy having to listen to the noise coming from the Sirius receiver. I went to Best Buy and got the right antenna adapter. The tech was po'd that someone would give me the wrong one. Then I went to Circuit City (where I bought the Starbase) and asked if it'd be worth having them install the FM modulator. I showed the tech how flat it sounded. At first he thought it was alright until he heard the itrip. However, he wasn't sure if the FM modulator would make a difference, as he thought it sounded like other installations he'd done. Of course, he said most of their installations are wireless.

While I was driving, I got progressively frustrated with the whole situation. By the time I got home, I decided to try installing the FM modulator myself. Again, Mudman's description was quite helpful. I put the modulator on the right side on a flat surface to the side of the radio, holding it with a sticky hook/loop tape (like strong velcro). It was easy to stuff the 2 antenna adaptors to the side and sneak the wire down to the Sirius receiver which is mounted on the firewall behind the glove box. Boy, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! That's not to say that it's CD quality. but it's much better than the wireless.

I tried plugging my ipod into the wireless and found that 1) the sound level is low, 2) there's hiss, probably from such a low sound level, 3) the quality of the sound was poor. I was actually relieved to hear sound thru my itrip.

Having finished the hardware installation, I found that hiding wires was quite easy. I taped the wire behind the proclip mount, ran it on the underside of the mount as it ran beside the left of the glovebox, and put it back to the receiver. I also ran the ipod wire with it. The glove box closes without a problem, and it looks much cleaner.

After all this, here's what I discovered. First, if you have any mechanical inclination, do the job yourself!!! I've begun to mistrust people who deal with cars. The installation was so easy, I'm ashamed that I spent the money for the installer. I was going to have him install another Sirius unit in my wife's car next week, but I think I'll probably do it myself. Second, don't use a wireless FM transmitter. Well, I guess this doesn't necessarily apply, as I still have my itrip. Third, Porsche is killing us by not having a plug and play retrofit unit for the satellite radio. Prewiring shouldn't be an issue, as the antenna portion wasn't a problem. It's solely a hardware issue. I can't imagine that it would be difficult for the manufactuer (?Becker) to solve this. I'm sure that it would be a price gouge anyway.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you please tell me how you got to the back of the radio to install the antenna adapter. I see that you have a TT so it has PCM. I have PCM and just wonder how to get behind then unit to tap into the existing antenna wire. Do you happen to know the description for the adapter that you purchased so it can fit the antenna?

I too want to handle this on my own instead of going to an install shop. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:45 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Davidoconn,
Click on mudman2's name above. Then click on his personal website. In the gallery, you will see detailed photos of how to remove the radio. It's very easy. Before starting, make sure that you have the correct antenna adapters. You need one to run from the antenna to the FM mod, another from the FM mod to the radio. There are 2 types of euro antenna adapters; don't get fooled like I was with the wrong ones. Both Best Buy and Circuit City stock them.

I put the FM mod to the right of the radio as I described above. The Sirius receiver is under the passenger dash. The tray under the glove box is held with a single torx screw. Take that out and the tray snaps down. There's plenty of room behind there. The fuse box is very close on the passenger side as well.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will give it a shot. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
rjc
5th Gear

Hi Guys

I hope you don't mind a Cayenne driver from England busting into your discussion. First I want to record my appreciation to mudman2 for his photo record of how to remove the PCM2 unit and fit an FM modulator. Boy, did that save me some time!

We don't have XM/Sirius over here but we do have terrestrial digital radio known as DAB (digital audio broadcasting) that is gradually replacing FM radio. Since none of the high-end car brands (BMW, Audi, Porsche etc) yet offer factory fit DAB radios, the only option is to fit an after-market DAB tuner and connect it with an Aux input or an FM modulator. I found a really cool DAB tuner from a company called Revo which looks like it could have been designed for the Cayenne. Check the picture on the front page of their website www.revo.co.uk

As we all know, there's no easy way to connect an Aux input to the PCM2 system so FM modulators seem to be the only option. Now get this, here in UK it's illegal to use the kind of FM modulators that transmit the signal through the air so you have to use the kind that you connect directly to the antenna connector. Mind you lots of people use the iTrip type of products anyway!

But here's the sting, I didn't look at mudman2's photos carefully enough and didn't realise until I had got the PCM2 unit out that Porsche uses a weird kind of antenna connector. It seems BMW and VW use the same connector. Being an impatient guy but quite handy with a soldering iron, I didn't wait to get the right adapters but instead I cut the antenna cable and spliced the modulator cable in. It doesn't look great but it works just fine.

The next problem to solve was that the kind of modulator Revo supplied needs to be powered even when listening to regular FM stations so I had to find a way to get switched 12 volts out of the PCM2 unit in order to power the modulator. Right now the modulator gets its power from an ignition switched fuse in the fusebox at the righthand side of the dash but this means my FM radio can't be used unless the ignition is switched on. Not a big deal but I am a perfectionist. Anyone figured how to solve that one yet?

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for a great site and thanks to mudman2 for his very useful photos! By the way mudman2, the connector that you circled in your photo that says "FBAS" is a video input connector, which I guess would be used if you had a reversing camera or TV tuner option fitted?

What we really need for audio though is a way to get Aux audio into the PCM2 unit. And Denison don't seem to have cracked that yet.

Cheers from England,

Robin C
Old 06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Robin

The simplest way is to take voltmeter to the fuse panel on the passenger side (UK) and try switching the ignition on and off I think 42 is switched but there is one close to it which is always hot. I think you might also find on that goes live with the key inserted without any key turning involved.

Thanks for your compliments I am sure they are undeserved, but from a fellow Brit its welcome although with my Geordie accent my wife doubts I am a Brit (she's a Taff)

:-)
Old 06-23-2005, 04:24 AM
rjc
5th Gear

Hi Mudman2

A Geordie and a Welsh lass in Pennsylvania....I bet the locals are confused? Or have you been there long enough for the accents to mellow?

I found an ignition switched fuse in the fusebox no problem but I couldn't find one that goes hot when you put the key in without turning it. If you think there is definitely one there, I'll look harder and report back if/when I find it. I already checked all the connections at the back of the PCM unit and confusingly the only powered ones seem to be hot all the time.

Best,

Robin
Old 06-23-2005, 07:11 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Robin

I will check myself this weekend, I am pretty sure I came across one, Lewis do you know ?

They don't notice my accent over here, think I speak the Queens, haha.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 AM
rjc
5th Gear

Well Michael (mudman) I checked every fuse on both sides of the dashboard and I gotta tell you there ain't one that comes live when you put they key in without turning it! But I found another solution. There's a wire that comes out of the back of the PCM unit (it's the only white one) that comes live when the PCM is turned on. I used this to power a small 12 volt relay to switch my FM modulator on. It works great. I can supply details if anyone is interested.

Robin

Quick Reply: Question for anyone running an FM modulator