Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, steering wheel vibration shimmy is gone!

Old 02-27-2004, 04:23 AM
Mav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally, steering wheel vibration shimmy is gone!

I got my Cayenne S back this noon. The steering wheel shimmy problem was finally solved. Here are what had been done as far as I know. Tire road force balanced. Alignment checked and re-alignment. Rotors were original reported warped and replaced. According to my C-S' advisor, there were no improvement of shimmy. They just want to try and see if rotors would help. So, I am not sure if the rotors were replaced or not, but they were shown on my report. My C-S' advisor still felt slight shimmy when she called me last night. She contacted PCNA and see what should be done next. It turns out slight shimmy at 65MPH is normal (according to PCNA). She even test drove 3 other Cayennes and all of them had slight shimmy at 65MPH. I was aware of that when I picked up my car. So I took a long way back to my office and see the slight shimmy at 65MPH. I did not notice any steering wheel vibration and shimmy at 65MPH (any speed also). Well, if I would say there were a shimmy, I would be the most picky man on the earth. It was much much more better than I brought my car in for the 1st and 2nd (this) time. My C-S' advisor has a very high standard on quality of her work.
There was mis-communication between my dealer and I. They saw my complain on the forum, and contacted me. I explained to them, why I felt that way. I believe they do try their best to provide the best service. But sometimes a very little misunderstanding hurts the feeling of a customer.
In conclusion, good job.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Mav- Glad to hear that your issues have been resolved. I am waiting on a return call from PNA. They stated that it would be within 48 hours....oh well, maybe they meant to stated 60....um 70 that was is it.

It troubles me that the manuf. of a $60-100K SUV would be so brass to say that I vibration or shimmy is standard, especially at the speed that 95% of the US driving everyday.

Once again I am glad that your issues have been resolved!!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:31 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 261 Posts

Congratulations. Now you can go back to fully loving the experience!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:23 PM
WCS
Instructor

Congrats Mav!

I am still dealing with my dealer on steering wheel vibration issue. They've reluctantly replaced the cardan shaft and now they're claiming one of my rim is bent and this is causing the problem.

Is it possible to balance the tire on a slightly bent wheel by any chance?

Anyways I'll get a set of four new wheels/tires for the weekend and see if the problem is indeed isolated on the wheels/tires alone.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:31 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Hate to sound stupid, but just having ordered a S, what is the Cardan shaft? The driveshaft? Hope mine has the new one!! I see this mentioned here and elsewhere all the time and have never had it answered!
Old 03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
WCS
Instructor

Cardan shaft is the drive shaft. It is the shaft going from the gearbox to the rear differential. If your car is still on order, you'd be fine - new ones would have updated shaft.

On the other front, I test drove my car with 4 new wheels/tires from the dealer and the shimmy problem still persists. I test drove another new S and I can feel some slight vibration similar but not as bad as mine. So my guess is the vibration would get worse over time (mine is at 21K miles now).

Except for the wheels, what could have gone wrong? The rotors and the shafts all might cause these problems I am experiencing. I'm quite worried PCNA won't find a resolution until some time later. Can someone check if there are updated part numbers on other shafts?

A porsche rep mentioned to me before about the 65mph radial vibration. I don't think it is normal; it is probabily a design flaw that will be fixed in future builds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally, steering wheel vibration shimmy is gone!