Notices

Street Car for the track? Or track car for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 12:40 AM
chasing3s
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street Car for the track? Or track car for the street?

Wanted to throw this question into the forum just out of curiosity. What do you guys/girls prefer, a dedicated track car that happens to have a license plate, or a relatively unmodified car that you can go spin some laps in? Ive been building Porsches for years now and have my own opinion on the right ratio of performance/daily drivability, but would love to know what others think on the topic.
Old 07-24-2024, 04:07 AM
996love
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 84 Posts

I think I’d prefer the latter option: a relatively unmodified car that can produce quality daily drives.

A track car with a license plate sounds like fun, but I think the track-spec parts may make it unbearable to drive on the street.

I would like you know your thoughts, too.
Old 07-24-2024, 04:59 AM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If it were up to me I would make porsche sell the gt2rs clubsport with a registerable vin number. That or a cup on the road. I hate all street cars.

Edit: Sorry since im daydreaming give me a brun c91 or sauber c11 gr. C car and a license plate and id be happier than the man who first discovered masturbation.

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; 08-09-2024 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chasing3s (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 08:35 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 552 Posts

It really depends on what you want out of your DE experience and how 'hard core' you are about it. Since it's a non-competitive activity, I'm happy in a moderately modified car that I can still drive on the street The hassle of a trailer, the expense of slicks, the need for a tow vehicle, etc. keep me driving to the track. I do about 24 days a year and am dedicated to improving, but I'm not currently planning on W2W racing. For me a full on race car isn't worth it. I've done brakes, suspension, cooling, roll bar, seats and harnesses with an eye towards safety as the first priority.

I think the car has to match the driver to an extent. I see folks that get ahead of themselves with full blown race cars in PCA blue when they can barely find an apex. On the flip side, I don't think you can run in the top groups safely without the mods I've done.

That being said, the seats, harnesses, coil overs, etc. have made my car less than comfortable on the street. I will probably buy a late model or new 911 in somewhat of a 'grand tourer spec' as a second P car for the creature comforts and keep my current drive to the track car.

I may amend this plan as my HPDE 'career' unfolds. I'm old enough to recognize that my enthusiasm may grow (and you may find me in a Clubsport in a couple of years) or wane (ice cream runs in a Targa). Or both.

Last edited by ldamelio; 07-24-2024 at 08:44 AM.
chasing3s (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 12:51 PM
chasing3s
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great take. I think when you've gotten to the point of getting a second P car for the street, it really opens up the opportunity for a full blown race car. If logistics permits it, I highly recommend running a clubsport, even if its for DE days. They're super straight forward to run on your own and x10 the driving experience. It also depends how much you enjoy fiddling with your set up. A CS w/ 3 ways and nitrogen will always keep you entertained and help you further understand suspension dynamics. If thats not your thing, take it to a shop, have them set it up and forget about it. All that being said, it doesn't get much better than being able to drive your car to and from the track. Would love to see what kind of set up you're taking out there.
ldamelio (07-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Street Car for the track? Or track car for the street?