Notices

987.1 Cayman S Track - Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 PM
SuperPenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 987.1 Cayman S Track - Mileage

Hope this is the right section. Considering getting a Cayman S as a dedicated track car for NASA TT3 and possibly ST3/GTS3 racing as well. Just wondering a couple things:

-Should I suck it up and get a 2009+? I know that there are a few issues with the 987.1 (Specifically the 2008 MY that I'm looking at), but they don't seem to be serious (air/oil separation, oil starvation etc) or things that can't be handled with some reliability mods.

-What's the max mileage you'd consider for this application? The two examples I have found so far are just shy of 50,000 miles. These cars seem to be pretty bulletproof if maintained, and with the limited miles they'll see from here on out I don't see any issue with this mileage. It's high enough that any problems the car might have will have presented itself, and low enough that major maintenance (apart from possibly the clutch) isn't due.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 PM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You should get a 987.2 (2009+). Improvements to the motor in terms of reliability and power delivery for a track car are significant.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Given the price difference, it is well worth getting a Gen 1 (2006 - 2008) car and doing the required mods (AOS, deep sump, PS Cooler, trans cooler, 3rd radiator) to make it reliable. In PCA Club Racing, you get a 200+lb min weight benefit over Gen 2 cars. My car has about 80k miles now. As with any race car, axles, wheel bearings, suspension bushings, calipers, etc.. are consumable items and should be treated as such.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:06 PM
SuperPenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Given the price difference, it is well worth getting a Gen 1 (2006 - 2008) car and doing the required mods (AOS, deep sump, PS Cooler, trans cooler, 3rd radiator) to make it reliable. In PCA Club Racing, you get a 200+lb min weight benefit over Gen 2 cars. My car has about 80k miles now. As with any race car, axles, wheel bearings, suspension bushings, calipers, etc.. are consumable items and should be treated as such.
Awesome, this is great info. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 AM
trackjunkie61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving an old thread. Frank, can you expand on which AOS, PS cooler and trans cooler you would recommend? Also is X51 baffled oil pan sufficient or do you recommend something different? I took your advise and got a smoking deal on a low mileage 07 CS ($10k less than going rate for 987.2). I am looking to add reliability. I instruct with Chin which doesn't allow much time to tend to my car during the day.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunkie61
Reviving an old thread. Frank, can you expand on which AOS, PS cooler and trans cooler you would recommend? Also is X51 baffled oil pan sufficient or do you recommend something different? I took your advise and got a smoking deal on a low mileage 07 CS ($10k less than going rate for 987.2). I am looking to add reliability. I instruct with Chin which doesn't allow much time to tend to my car during the day.
Sorry about the slow reply - just saw this. I used the Porsche Motorsport AOS. It's expensive but worth it as my first engine died because of hydrolock. I sold my car over a year ago and switched to a Gen II car so no longer have the info on the trans and PS cooler. Also look into an underdrive pulley. Bodymotion would be a good source for those questions. As for Geoff. X51 baffled oil pan should be fine but it's best to install an oil pressure sensor to monitor oil pressure. The Gen I car has an engine driven oil pump so at low RPM and high g loads pressures can get low.

Quick Reply: 987.1 Cayman S Track - Mileage