Notices

Rattle from rear driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:56 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Rattle from rear driver's side

On my 2007 RS I have a rattle that sounds like a loose exhaust clamp clanking around whenever I hit a bump. I have had it in three times now (the most recent visit for over a week) to the Porsche shop, and still no luck locating where the noise is coming from. All belly pans have been removed, rubber mallet to all suspension parts, cats, headers, mufflers, etc. I am guessing the driver's-side muffler may be broken inside, but for some reason the tech is reluctant to pull the rear fascia and muffler. Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

UPDATE: After utilizing an electronic tool designed for noise location, and on-and-off trial and error, the noise turned out to be the driver's-side front PCCB disc, sheet metal backing plate (tech said maybe for cooling?). The plate was clanking against the bracket. I had hit a large pothole a couple years back, but that was obviously missed by the Porsche dealership. It wasn't the expensive electronic tool that accomplished locating it, but the sharp guys at Salerno Motorsports in Rocklin, Ca. placing "hockey pucks" along the shop's parking lot, and having one person drive over them while the other person stands outside and listens - bingo!! Front wheel, although five separate people who drove & rode in it said it was coming from the rear end. Lesson here: take nothing for granted, use a helper, and your ears are very inaccurate.

Last edited by HarmonyJim; 04-29-2015 at 09:34 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply: Rattle from rear driver's side