Notices

996 awd conversion?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Tim White
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 awd conversion?

I'm curious if anyone on this page has any experience in converting a 99 c2 into a c4. I bought a roller chassis and have sourced most of the parts . I'm mainly concerned if the main mounting points are the same and how much clearancing of everything else I may be in for. If the body's them selves are the same then I think I'm golden but any knowledge or pictures would be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Looking at the parts diagram they only show 1 part number for a body in white. So that leads me to believe all bodies are the same however I do not know that for sure.

I believe the biggest issued would be the gas tank and that is absolutely difference between C2 and C4. Also the strut tops are different and I believe the difference in strut top is to change the angle of the strut itself to some degree and allow for better axle geometry. The transmission would also need to be changed but that is obvious.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Tim White
3rd Gear

That is great news thank you for doing some leg work on this question for me I greatly appreciate it now if you'll excuse me I have to warm up my PayPal account and go pillage eBay motors !!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Keep an eye on this forum as engines pop up from time to time.

Also try the salvage yards as you may get an engine with a bit of a warranty compared to something from e-bay which could be unknown .
Old 08-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Tim White
3rd Gear

10/4 will do thanks again for your help
Old 08-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

No problem. That's why we are here.

Good luck with your project, if you need anything feel free to reach out.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:18 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

Is this working out for you? It is my understanding that the entire front frame is different between the C2 and C4. Different mounting points for the front suspension (which is also different), different stiffeners, different mounting points for accessories (for instance the C4 uses a split gas tank), different trunk tub (to accommodate the front diff.) etc.

They only have one part number for the body because you can only order a replacement body for the current production model and you need to give them the full option label so that they can build the body to match your specs.

I may be wrong but anyway, that is my understanding.

Many guys convert a C4 to a C2 (basically removing the front diff and half shafts) but I have never heard of anyone going the other way.

Last edited by tharbin; 10-11-2016 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added sentence about C4 => C2 conversions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 awd conversion?