Notices

Most Common Performance Modifications for Aircooled Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
mattio523
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most Common Performance Modifications for Aircooled Cars?

Hi guys -

I've been a big Porsche fan ever since I was little, but I unfortunately don't have a Porsche at the time (I have a '76 BMW 2002, great car - blast to drive, the mods really bring her alive) but seeing as I'm getting into the world of vintage cars, I hope to obtain a 911 sooner or later.

I was wondering what the sort of "go-to" modifications are for the various generations of early aircooled 911s are. Weber carbs on early cars? Camshafts? Higher compression pistons? Springs, shocks, swaybars..? Software tunes on SC or 3.2s?

Where do you guys go about buying these parts, is there a go-to place, or group of shops that build engines that I could look at?

Probably commonplace for most of you guys with the cars I'm talking about, but I don't have one so I'm not as well versed.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 07:16 PM
arborist83
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattio523
Hi guys -

I've been a big Porsche fan ever since I was little, but I unfortunately don't have a Porsche at the time (I have a '76 BMW 2002, great car - blast to drive, the mods really bring her alive) but seeing as I'm getting into the world of vintage cars, I hope to obtain a 911 sooner or later.

I was wondering what the sort of "go-to" modifications are for the various generations of early aircooled 911s are. Weber carbs on early cars? Camshafts? Higher compression pistons? Springs, shocks, swaybars..? Software tunes on SC or 3.2s?

Where do you guys go about buying these parts, is there a go-to place, or group of shops that build engines that I could look at?

Probably commonplace for most of you guys with the cars I'm talking about, but I don't have one so I'm not as well versed.

Thanks
I currently own my dad's old track car although road legal and stripped. It's is an 84' 911 with a 98' 3.6 Varioram motor in it. Highly recomended. no cats no sai no ac. Stock, cold air, no cams, chipped, two oil coolers up front. Mounted up to the original 5 speed. Front fairing for coolers and downforce. Rear fairing, rs 3.8, for clearance on bigger motor and downforce. Car is light fun and dependable. Just keep that MAF clean as the oil tank vents to the intake and tends to dirty it up every 6 months. Oh dont forget to make it stop and handle too. Lots of suspension mods rolled fenders all around to sneek in 225 up front and 245 in the rear with plenty o negative camber. My 2 cents. Light car, depndable motor. Have fun out there.

Quick Reply: Most Common Performance Modifications for Aircooled Cars?