Notices

Harris and Herr Singer Vid - what is a "spool"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts
Default Harris and Herr Singer Vid - what is a "spool"?

Cool vid but left me with questions...

Herr Singer noted the car had a "spool". From what I can find, a spool means the differential is locked! Really?

Someone edumacate me on this one. Why the heck would you want a car with sticky tires on pavement to have a locked differential? The car would push and not turn, so to speak. What am I missing?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-23-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 AM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup you have it right a spool is exactly what your research told you. No mechanicals just a chunk of metal with bearings and a ring gear bolted on. 800 hp in a car that light will rotate under throttle there is so much more power than traction available. Steer as much as possible and rotate under throttle when necessary.

What I gathered from his comments was that the LSD diffs weren't nearly as good as they are now and at that time with the technology they had the spool was faster.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Christopher, you are right on both counts. Friction LSDs didn't hold up to the awesome horsepower, and the car was easy to steer with power. They were a B***H to maneuver in the paddock, though. The spool was lighter and very reliable.

Quick Reply: Harris and Herr Singer Vid - what is a "spool"?