Notices

Lightweight battery, viable option?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lightweight battery, viable option?

This seems like it would be a great way to knock a decent amount of weight off of a Porsche. The question is can it be relied upon? I never use the radio and I have a maintainer, just wondering what you guys think. I'd love to get the Porsche battery but they would have to lower the cost to interest me. This one is not as light but clearly lighter than a lead acid battery.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ODY-PC925
Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have used the pc925 for years in many porsche racecars. Very reliable. Need new intelligent charger. The last about 2 good seasons.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Rennlist Forums
Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an Odyssey battery in my Turner race car for 5 years. Used with generator for a few years, then charged as needed with battery charger when gen. came out of car to save weight.

It was a small one. See photo.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
This seems like it would be a great way to knock a decent amount of weight off of a Porsche. The question is can it be relied upon? I never use the radio and I have a maintainer, just wondering what you guys think. I'd love to get the Porsche battery but they would have to lower the cost to interest me. This one is not as light but clearly lighter than a lead acid battery. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ODY-PC925
I've had that same battery for a year and often go for a couple of weeks without driving the car. I haven't used a tender either. No issues so far. We'll see after another winter as the battery gets older.

Rennline sells a nicely made adapter to let you mount it in the stock location. On the cayman I had to mount the battery as far to the drivers side in the adapter, as the cable on that side isn't that long. I also had to loosen the bolt where the cable mounts to the car and swivel the L-bracket to get a touch more extension.

I can't say that I feel the lost 25-30 lbs that rides high in the chassis, but there aren't that many places you can ditch 25+ lbs for that little $ That battery is also AGM, so no venting needed, as an extra bonus.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default I don't know who reads this little Forum..

But I used a Miata battery on my 993....
Old 11-03-2014, 10:57 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a pc680 for two seasons of auto crossing in a gen1 cayman s without issues. That battery would not start the gen2 987S at all. Switched to a pc925, and it has worked great, I hated the 10lb increase, but it has much more capacity. The rennline mounts make for an easy swap.

My usage involves prolonged sitting in the garage, a top off charge with a 2.5A battery tender before events, then lots of starting, short runs, and idling with the cooling fans running. No issues even for 4-5 days of this kind of running.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a LW odyssey in my car.. I didn't like the fact if I left the car for 4 days it would go flat.

yes don't tell me that's what a maintainer is for.. but seriously a regular battery can last a month.

If you car is a daily, I wouldn't suggest a lw battery unless you do not mind plugging in a maintainer on the days you do not drive the car
Old 06-19-2015, 01:43 AM
drmotorhead
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Used PC680 in my NSX for a couple years. It is mounted low in the front behind the spare. Although I removed the spare tire and bracket at the same time I reduced the battery weight, it certainly made a differnce in steering feel on the manual rack. I drove it once or twice a week. If I was parking it for more than a week, I put a tender on it. It never failed to start. I now have a Braille li-ion in my M5. Not cheap at $1400 or so, but I have treated it just like the stock lead acid unit and have not had a problem since installation year ago. 6lbs of li-ion that effectively replaces a 65lb stock battery.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:13 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I used very successfully an antigravity (li ion) for two months, and then, it broke (Lost all cranking power).
no idea yet what did happen, currently in warranty return, will see.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:49 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

6 lbs
$220
7 year lifespan

I'm pretty sure there are enough serious buyers on rennlist alone to fund the project!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...battery#/story
Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm using a 3.5lbs lithium battery (same as Jack Olsen - did it thank to his post).
No problem at all
Old 09-22-2015, 06:30 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
6 lbs
$220
7 year lifespan

I'm pretty sure there are enough serious buyers on rennlist alone to fund the project!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...battery#/story
looks like it didn't work out: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...umped#/updates
Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

deleted
Old 11-30-2015, 09:46 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

i was also thinking about a lightweight battery for my Spyder. not that porsche one.. there are many lithium options out there.

what are pros and cons if anyone has tried one? it seems like they need to be on a trickle charger.. is this EVERY night or can you park your car somewhere and still have cranking power the next day? 30lb is a lot of weight, and for $2-300 seems like a great deal. the porsche one for $2300.. not so much.

I have a shorai battery on my racebike.. but that doesn't really count.. it lives in a storage spot with a battery tender... have never tried in a car.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:33 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I use a shorei in my 997 Cup. Largest one they make for motorcycles. It's lithium ion and has always been great for last several years. I put it in a trickle charger every now and then. I only went down this route once the GT3 de guys had said it was working no problem.

It weighs under 5 lbs and costs $300 I think!

Quick Reply: Lightweight battery, viable option?