Notices

remote reservoir shock canisters and heat?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default remote reservoir shock canisters and heat?

Hi. Could somebody please tell me how much heat from the exhaust and engine effect the remote canisters on my shocks. I think they are getting to hot. I have not noticed any change in performance when they get hot. I have limited mounting options in the wheel well of my car!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

One of the purposes of a remote reservoir is heat dissipation. Putting them somewhere hot is undesirable but if it can't be avoided then that answers that question.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by red996
Hi. Could somebody please tell me how much heat from the exhaust and engine effect the remote canisters on my shocks. I think they are getting to hot. I have not noticed any change in performance when they get hot. I have limited mounting options in the wheel well of my car!
The cannisters do get warm in normal operation and thats why we like to mount them in locations where they get cooler air than what is found in fender wells.

One can use an infrared thermometer to check and monitor cannister temps to keep them as close to ambient as possible to maintain suspension performance.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 499 Posts

Heat won't kill them, but you might want to look to have them rebuilt more often. In formula cars, they are usually mounted on top of the transmission, right behind the motor and more or less next to the exhuast.

The heat doesn't really hurt them, but it can make the seals degrade quicker and the oil in them breaks down quicker from the heat.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Heat will do them no good. If they are getting too hot to touch with your bare hand, then I suggest doing something. Can you shield the exhaust ? (header wrap, or sheet metal deflector) Can you add a cooling hose (1" diameter is usually sufficient)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: remote reservoir shock canisters and heat?