Notices

sinter vs. molybdenum as lsd friction discs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 AM
porscheracing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sinter vs. molybdenum as lsd friction discs

i have got some sintered friction discs for my lsd and would like to know the difference between sintered and the standard molybdenum layered ones?!
as both friction discs were used with the same outer discs, they should fit in my lsd unit!

the manufacturer (who produces both types) even states the same locking levels for both types of discs (i.e. 4x sinter clutches & 30° ramp angle means 75%, same setup with molybdenum also results in 75%)

what are the advantages and disadvantages of sinter vs. molybdenum on friction discs?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Moly discs reduce the "stick-slip" effect that causes chattering in tight corners.

Sintered discs bite harder, IMHO.

Naturally, one's choice of oil as well as LSD pre-load setup are both big variables.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 AM
porscheracing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx a lot for your reply!
the thing with the stick-slip effect could be right as the manufacturer only uses the sintered discs in no-preload setups... so if the diff is free of load, there should be no major problem concerning stick-slip.

so you think i have to use another oil if using sintered instead of molybdenum discs?
i always use only castrol liquids in my cars... my diffs are filled with "castrol syntrax ls" (formerly known as "saf-xj").

the influence of preload is clear to me and i currently build a variety of lsds (i have 6 lsd-units to play with) for my cars and will try various setups of locking rate, preload... well and now even friction disc material... ;-)

next up i will build a 45% 2-way sinter-disc setup with 90Nm preload. but before i do this, i would want to know what i can expect from the sinter discs and what i have to care for (i.e. special oil?!)

i am pretty curious about the stick-slip effect, as my previous moly-disc setups dont have this at all, even the higher locking / higher preload ones!

Quick Reply: sinter vs. molybdenum as lsd friction discs