Notices

Using Recaro Profi for Daily Driving and Events

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:47 AM
jmyles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Recaro Profi for Daily Driving and Events

I am considering installing Recaro Profi's in my 996. I use it for street and AX/DE's. Is this a reasonable thing to do? Are they comfortable enough for a long weekend drives? I would assume they transmit more road vibrations? I was going to install both driver and passenger sides. Fit is not an issue as both my wife and have small frames. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

It's a nice comfortable bucket seat. Very similar to the Euro GT3 bucket seats with higher sides.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i would recommend to look at recaro CS. real bucket seat is kinda brutal for long trips, and not very good for street. unless car is dedicated for sport events I would not do it. CS reclines and collapses, it is a good compromise. i run it with BK1030 harness bar (easily removable) and jetpilot harness - it mounts as 4 point harness but has anti-submarine belt too.
http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...rtster-cs.html
Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If it's dual purpose I would look at the pole positions. They match the euro rs/gt3 thigh bolsters. The profi is really too tall for a daily driver, and if it's tight enough to really do it's job on the track it's too tight to be comfortable or practical for street use..IMHO...
Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM
jmyles
Track Day

Thanks for the responses. Truly helpful. My car is primarily a DD with monthly AXs and a DE thrown in every so often. I will look at the CS and pole positions.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 on the Recaro PPs
Old 08-13-2012, 12:45 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 Recaro PP
Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,..My daily driver has a Profi XL in it and its VERY comfortable for long or short trips. The additional effort required for entry/exit is more than offset by the lateral and back support,....
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Hard Motorsport
Former Vendor

For daily driving I alway suggest getting a seat one size up from what you need to make it a bit more comfortable and easier to get in and out when running errands. Also a larger seat will wear less due non- snug fit.

We carry recaro feel free to pm me or give me a call and we can put something together for you

Adam
adam@hardmotorsport.com
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest you take a look at the Recaro Sport Topline. I have them in my 996 TT and they are extemely comfortable and give great support. A compromise but worth it. I've driven as long as 6 hours in one stint with no comfort issues.

John in Vancouver
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the Recaro Speed (medium bolstering) or Speed S (no bolstering), both recline so you will have easier access to the back. The CS are about twice the price of both Speeds. Both the PP and Profi are fixed seats, just mentioning in case you over looked this issue.

I have the Profi for the drivers seat in my car, needed something that gets me lower in the seat with a helmet, being
6'3". The Profi's would be a "little" much for me as a DD, the passenger seat is a Speed.

GL with your choice.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

I used to use the Speed but found them small and uncomfortable for my larger frame (Like Cartman, I am big boned) and have switched to a Profi XL and love it. A little harder in and out but wonderful once in...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM
TypeRS
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts

To the OP, I think this is a very personal and subjective question. Asking anyone here what is comfortable is similar to asking if an exhaust is too loud.

I have Recaro SPG's in my track car and my street car. I have had them in every car I have owned since 2003. I think most of the people driving Porsche's are used to not having all of the creature comforts of a normal car. SPG's are very comfortable buckets. Very thick padding that really hold up well over time as long as they are taken care of (don't sit directly on the side bolster).

If you are under 6 foot tall and smaller than 34 waist, I think most people would find it comfortable. It will take some getting used to, but my suggestion is to sit in them first and decide for yourself.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboHog
If you are under 6 foot tall and smaller than 34 waist, I think most people would find it comfortable. It will take some getting used to, but my suggestion is to sit in them first and decide for yourself.
Agreed. I'm 6' with 32" waist and I love my Profis for both on the street and track. I've driven with mine from Portland to home through some twisty roads (3.5 hour drive) and it was fun. Your suspension setup will also make a difference in how much vibration is transmitted. I bought mine after visiting a shop that had a bunch of seats mounted for people to try out, the Profi fit me the best.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

One has to sit in the seat to make sure it fits, they are all very different.

As far as the Recaro racing shells go, the XL series and Pole Position are 35 mm wider than the standard shells.

But here, one thing to look for is where the shoulder harness hole sits relative to the shoulders. The Pole Position has the same width as a Profi XL, however the shoulder harness holes on the Pole come out below my shoulders substantially which, since compression loads would be applied to my spine in a crash, is not desirable with the Pole Position for me. The Profi XL is fine in this regard.

I find racing shells fine for daily comfort, however their immobility as far as getting behind the seat etc. can be a pain.

Quick Reply: Using Recaro Profi for Daily Driving and Events