Notices

Suspension Questions 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Suspension Questions 87 Carrera

I also have this post on the 911 forum. It was recommended that I also post here....

I am in the process of upgrading the suspension on my 87 Carrera. I recently bought the car for the occasional track event (D.E.) as well as autocross now and then. I just finished a major service including new clutch, valve adjustment, oil return tubes, rear main seal and much more. It runs great, doesn't leak a drop, however, before I can move forward I need to do something with the suspension.

Originally I was thinking bilstein sports as it has the oem bilstein tubes. I was hoping to add the inserts, then have the ride height set, corner balanced and aligned. I thought this would be a good set-up while at the same time keeping the cost in check. Now the shop is saying I may want to look at torsion bars, stabilizer bars and much more. My checkbook and my already very understanding wife (2 P-cars) are not too happy with some of the figures presented.

I am looking for some recommendations on how to set up the car to handle well on the track without going completely insane on the expense side.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Track budgets can be a problem.
My 1984 was a nice dual-use car (street and track).
We ran stock bars and Koni adjustable gas shocks. Added some negative camber (-1.5 degrees if I recall) and it handled beautifully. A properly set up Carrera is a beautifully handling car.
What DE run group are you usually in?
Hope this helps; a friend has a club racing set up 1987 for another datapoint if you would like.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Track budgets can be a problem.
My 1984 was a nice dual-use car (street and track).
We ran stock bars and Koni adjustable gas shocks. Added some negative camber (-1.5 degrees if I recall) and it handled beautifully. A properly set up Carrera is a beautifully handling car.
What DE run group are you usually in?
Hope this helps; a friend has a club racing set up 1987 for another datapoint if you would like.
Rick,

Thanks for the help. That sounds like what I am looking for. Do you find the Koni's better than the Bilstein struts? Corner balance, align and camber adjustment sounds about right. Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

As for the run-group, I have not run this particular car yet. I have spent a lot of time on the track with other non-PCA groups over the last 12 years, (I work for an auto manufacturer). The club I recently ran with had four groups. Group one was the quickest. I was in group one driving an STI WRX, a phenomenal car on track, however, almost too easy to drive.

I would be interested in hearing about your friend's set-up on his 87.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I hope it helps out; new Konis were a big improvement over older (but not worn out by any stretch) Bilsteins. Since they are adjustable you have more control (though not like my crazy Moton 4-way adjustables or the even crazier 15 or whatever way full race shocks you can get).
I will ask Paolo to post; he drives a Class E 1987 which was set up by one of our really good racers here in MA. Car is new to current owner, but the set up is supposedly top notch.
So - good shocks, corner balance and alignment I'll bet would work well and keep the budget within reason.
Have fun - these are great cars (I sold my 1984 but drove it at VIR in March, reminding me of what a nice car I had).
Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I e-mailed Rick my specs. He will be able to make sense of them more than me.

All I know is that I just love the set up, great balance, smooth, doesn't behave like a 911....(which is notorious for oversteer)

And I come from a Cayman S which is greatly balanced and smooth....

I hope my specs. (that Rick will review) will be helpful to you...
Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I e-mailed Rick my specs. He will be able to make sense of them more than me.

All I know is that I just love the set up, great balance, smooth, doesn't behave like a 911....(which is notorious for oversteer)

And I come from a Cayman S which is greatly balanced and smooth....

I hope my specs. (that Rick will review) will be helpful to you...
Thank you, I really appreciate your help.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Paolo's car

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
Hi JRossRSA
My good friend Paola sent over the car specs (that he got from the seller); I was hoping for alignment specs but he may not have them. Mine are with the current owner and I don't have easy access to them; there is lots of chatter about DE alignment specs on the Racing/DE forum so you might check over there; guys like Steve Weiner are a great source of advice.
I am attaching the spec for Paolo's car; its such a nice club race car set up that its worth sharing (thank you, Paolo, for letting us share). It is way more than the dual use (street/DE) car I had and more than you asked about. But, its fun to read and maybe will give you some ideas. YOU DO NOT NEED A RACE CAR to enjoy DE (right, Paolo?)
BTW, I am just a friend of Paolo's, having had the fun of helping him spend his money on a new track car. I haven't driven it but sure would like to.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
Glad to help with my specs. I hope they make more sense to you.

All I know is that I love the car's setup......
Old 05-11-2007, 05:08 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi JRossRSA
My good friend Paola sent over the car specs (that he got from the seller); I was hoping for alignment specs but he may not have them. Mine are with the current owner and I don't have easy access to them; there is lots of chatter about DE alignment specs on the Racing/DE forum so you might check over there; guys like Steve Weiner are a great source of advice.
I am attaching the spec for Paolo's car; its such a nice club race car set up that its worth sharing (thank you, Paolo, for letting us share). It is way more than the dual use (street/DE) car I had and more than you asked about. But, its fun to read and maybe will give you some ideas. YOU DO NOT NEED A RACE CAR to enjoy DE (right, Paolo?)
BTW, I am just a friend of Paolo's, having had the fun of helping him spend his money on a new track car. I haven't driven it but sure would like to.
Very impressive, thanks again!
Old 06-16-2007, 05:56 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say:

New Koni Adjustable OR Bilstein Sport shocks
Corner-Balance & Align with neg.-1.5 to 2.0 camber + ride height lowered

If you have some spare change:
Consider finding a used set of torsion bars: 21 front & 28 or 30 rears, and do the other stuff with these.

The car should stick like glue (depending on tires )!

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions 87 Carrera