Notices

Performance improvement for '95 993 - What's worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 10:33 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Performance improvement for '95 993 - What's worthwhile?

I've been giving some thought to doing some relatively minor things to my '95 993 w/ Tiptronic tranmission to enhance the performance.
One of the things that I've thought about is a simple ship upgrade. I came across the following info on the Autothority upgrade - I'm curious if the info is accurate and if this yields any noticable improvement.

Stage 1 Chip upgrade only +13 hp
Stage 2 Chip upgrade + filter +18 hp

Are these results realistic & noticable? Are there other chips available that yield better results?

I was also thinking about an Airbox mod (such as that from Fabspeed) - any opinions?

My intention is to maintain the car as a daily driver; but if I can do some relatively easy/inexpensive things to enhance the performance, that's what I'm after. What things should I be considering? I don't think I'm interested in thingss like rebuilding the engine, supercharging, turbocharging, etc...

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:14 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick

Why don't you copy and paste your questions to the 993 board here. It is one of the most active boards on Rennlist and you will probably get a better respoonse there. I think you will get a good response because we dont see many tip trannys there.

Good luck,

E. J.
Old 11-10-2001, 01:56 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E.J. - will do; I had the feeling that if I posted it there that someone would probably tell me to post to the Perf Imrovements board. Hopefully, I'll get some input.

Thanks much.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by rick-fwx:
<STRONG>E.J. - will do; I had the feeling that if I posted it there that someone would probably tell me to post to the Perf Imrovements board. Hopefully, I'll get some input.

Thanks much.</STRONG>
Hi Rick:

First, I'll tell you that your '95 Tip-equipped car is an excellent candidate for some upgrades that are IMHO, quite cost effective.

One of the lurkers on the 993 board, Todd Campbell, has such a car with one of our chips, and an H&R Coilover suspension and a TT Big Red brake upgrade. Hopefully he will chime in with his experiences.

Muffler changes will add more noise than power,...expect no more than 5-6 HP with any of them so make your personal noise tolerance, the guiding criteria. I really like Robin's RSR muffler, the best.

Placing some 1.5" holes (5-6) in your existing aircleaner cover will add slightly more airflow and some additional sound at WOT.

A good chip will make about a 16-18 HP improvement and your car is socketed to make this easier. You do not need to send the DME anywhere for this to be done. Beware that many chip tuners do not allow for the East & West Coast variations in available octane and some chips can be too aggressive for the fuel in your area. Also, make sure that the chip you choose retains the stock 6750 rev limter!

Hope this helps,
Old 11-12-2001, 01:41 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick:

I would consider doing the suspension with coilovers (Bilstein or H&R); the lower ride height will help, too. Stage II would include the Motorsport F and R swaybars.

I would also do the exhaust-- the stock system is way too restrictive. I use the Fabspeed exhaust, which produces a good performance gain and saves a ton of weight.

If you don't want to drill the stock airbox, you can go with the Fabspeed unit--it's opened up even more, Cup-style, and comes with a performance foam air-filter element.

Lighter wheels are often overlooked, but in terms of measureable performance gain, the crisper turn-in from a set of light alloys will really transform the car's feel.

Chips-- I'm dubious about performance gains claimed for chips meant for normally aspirated 993s. Turbos are different. (Others may disagree).

Lee in D.C.
993 RSCS
Old 12-12-2001, 10:53 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Fabspeed Motorsport has many 1995 993 performance upgrades and custom made chips. All of these 993 upgareds are offered in integrated stages and synergistic combinations. You can get over 300HP with several simple to install upgrades like 993 Maxflo performance mufflers (2.5" mufflers with 2.125" intake & outlet mandrel bent pipes, matching DME chip, BMC F1 airfiletr, Carrera CUP airbox coverlid (significantly beats a couple of random holes and a throttle body upgrade.

FYI&gt; Fabspeed 993/996 maxflo mufflers offer significantly reduced backpressure versus stock 993/996 OEM mufflers/or any stock modified 993/996 muffler that uses super small 2.0" pipe diameters. No matter who messes with the 993 internals you are limited by only 2.0" flow capacity with any stock Porsche factory 993 mufflers.

Our chip designer worked at Autothority for over 15years and has a Mustang chassis dyno. Fabspeed owns a 1995 993 and with New York, NJ, CT closeby we have developed probably the most variations of 1995 993 chips is the world by ACTUALLY DYNOING & developing each & every car! Stock 993s, 993s with freeflow exhaust/intake & big throttlebody, 993s without catalytic converters, 993s with 3.8Liter engines with lite flywheels, 4.0Liter 993s (CMW engine with headers big big $$$$) 993 RS 3.8L with S Car Go open headers. 993s on racegas and also 15% propylene oxide. Many other chips tuners resell others chips and make minor changes to existing chip files but havent dyoned your particular combination. Fabspeed sets REV limits and gasoline quality to where the customer specifies and if they dont ask we are conseravtive in our approach. Check it all out @ fabspeed motorsport 2156464945

Fabspeed Motorsport performance for the enxt millenium
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 12-14-2001, 04:45 PM
Billy B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy put on a sport suspension on his 993. Now it drives like a real sports car. Lowering also helps. The Big Reds are awesome, too much really, as they can out-break the tires!
Also, as you make upgrades, you will notice how the stock seats dont keep you firmly planted as they had.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:44 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

IMHO one of the best mods is to change gear ratios. Instead of the US gearbox ratios, go for the Rest of the World ratios, which are shorter for 2nd thru 5th (up to 10%). Not cheap, but really eliminates the 2nd to 3rd gear hole in performance. I did it, and it felt like about10% more hp. No messing around with the engine or putting on execessively loud sport mufflers.

Quick Reply: Performance improvement for '95 993 - What's worthwhile?