Notices

951 chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 01:37 AM
Greg K
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 chip?

I am looking to purchase a chip for my 86 951-any suggestions in brand and why-i am looking at the weiltmeister chip.
thanks.
Old 06-21-2001, 02:23 PM
chuck951
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I'm running chips from Huntley Racing ($200) + a Lindsey Boost Enhancer ($90)to raise boost. The combination works well.

As I remember the Welt chips require you to shim the wastegate...I hear that is a PITA.

The APE chips use a banjo bolt to increase boost, much easier installation but they are much more expensive.

I also installed a boost gauge to measure how much the boost has been increased.

Chuck
86 951
Old 07-06-2001, 11:17 AM
si
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry Chuck, but the Lindsey boost enhancer doesn`t increase the overall boost (unless u adjust it) see theyre web site. What it DOES do is decrease turbo lag, and gets u up to peak boost sooner, therefore making the power curve flatter, by increasing power lower down in the rev range. I have one fitted to my car and it is really very good, you can feel the boost come on 1000rpm lower down. The banjo bolt replacements attempt to do a similar thing by reducing the air signal to the wastegate, but are not as good.
Most after-market chips increase boost themselves by the KLR chip replacement, which also controls boost (along with the wastegate). I believe it is only `86 cars which need shims.
However if your wastegate spring is weak (which most are because the run red hot) then chipping your car may not increase boost (and thus power) because the wastegate can not respond to increased boost demands from the KLR chip (because of the weak spring), you boost may still however be stock because the cars boost control electronics can control the wastegate to a certain degree.

I recently installed some euro products chips
(200$) to my `91 951s (95k) which previously had a boost enhancer and it isnt any quicker, however others have been very satisfied with these chips, so I suspect that I need to put a shim in the wastegate to compensate for a weak spring, when I get time I will do this!!

Hope this helps.
ps get a boost enhancer 1st, very, very good (and cheap)!
si
`91 951s

Quick Reply: 951 chip?