Biggest brakes for 15" Fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 04:41 PM
3liter6
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Biggest brakes for 15" Fuchs

Hi Folks,

I've got a 914\6 that is getting a serious performance shot in the arm. Hp estimates are around 300, with maybe 350 on the juice. This has gotten me thinking about the need for brake upgrades. Currently I have the stock \6 calipers on the back (which I won't be changing due to the e-brake), and SC calipers on the front. Some have counseled me that I need bigger brakes. I then counter by saying that the 914 while powerful, won't be capable of achieving speeds higher than an early-Turbo, while using essentially the same caliper and being a decent amount lighter.
Regardless, I'm curious as to what upgrade paths are available.

Does the 917 caliper fit (as used on 3.3 turbo's, and '73 RS's) under a 15" wheel?

How about the Boxster monoblock setup?

Are there any aftermarket setups that will fit (Wilwood/Baer/Alcon, ETC)?

Thanks,

Adam
wheels are 15X7" fuchs BTW.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:45 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts
The 78-89 930 caliper with 930 rotors will fit in 7x15" Fuchs. You will need hats to adapt the front rotors to you hubs.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Adam:

Like Bill said, the Turbo brakes will fit inside the 911 Fuchs wheels and are in fact, the largest, most effective brake setup that will fit. I would still recommend brake cooling though.

There are three front rotor options available to you:

1) OEM 78-79 Full floating rotors & hats (very spendy)

2) Custom Coleman rotor with custom billet anodised hats.

3) Custom Brembo rotor with custom billet anodised hats.

The 930 calipers will bolt right up to your struts using some special machined spacers (no caliper adapters needed) and the factory short lines between the caliper and strut.

You will need to have the rear 930 calipers extensively modified to bolt on the 914 trailing arms with 930 rear rotors. We've done this a few times and retained the OEM rear caliper for E-brake functionality only.

Its not easy, but its very doable!

BTW, we use a special 23mm Mercedes MC to complete this whole deal.

Hope this helps,
Old 06-21-2001, 02:04 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

A firend and I installed a nice Wilwood set-up on his VW GTI-VR6 with 15 inch wheels. The things just barely cleared his wheels but worked nicely. He was using an 11 inch rotor with 4 piston calipers(if I remember correctly) You might want to give wilwood a call. It may require an adapter but they usualy consist of a piece of solid bar stock with two holes drilled in it. I also like the Wilwoods because of the selection of pads you get. good luck
Old 06-22-2001, 07:32 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

One concern I have for these exotic brake setups: in a few years, when you need new rotors, how hard are those puppies going to be to aquire?
Old 06-23-2001, 04:11 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Thom:

Your concerns are valid and you do raise a good point.

In my 26+ years experiences with building and racing Porsche 911-based cars and using various aftermarket pieces, I've never had any troubles getting something if they were sourced from a reputable manufacturer or supplier. Certainly, this doesn't apply to old race cars that use special, limited production parts that are NLA due to the very nature of being non-production items.

In the specific case of the custom front rotors that we use in our brake kits, I would tell anyone that this is no issue. We use either a commonly available Coleman racing rotor or a modified version of the 993 TT rotor.

Hope this addresses your question.

Quick Reply: Biggest brakes for 15" Fuchs