Notices

What are the best street/track brake pads for a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:43 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Pagid "sport" pads, on and off the track. I realize I am giving up some performance on the street side as well as some the track end vs. 19's but I can live with the available increased performance biased to the track side, which again, isn't optimal but suits my use and abilities well. Pads are really a personal thing dependant on driving style and ability. For some, the OE pads perform at a higher level than they will ever require and for some are simply inadequate. Even Porsche doesn't recommend using the GT3 yellow "comfort" pads on the track. I guess the bottom line is, if you are using a specific brand and type pad and are happy with its performance, these are the pad for you but these might not be for the next person in an otherwise similar situation. Best is to try different pads based on research and recommendations of others and decide which is appropriate for yourself. There's no really right or wrong to this issue.

One thing I might suggest is to talk directly to the manufacturers product engineers, explain your particular situation and get their feed back as to what might be best for you. I've talked to the folks at Pagid several times and they are more than happy to offer all the help I had required, without all the BS. A great source of some pretty useful information.

Last edited by RayGT3; 02-25-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Anyone care to share their favorite source for Pagid pads? I'm thinking I'll buy a track set to drop in place of the street OEMs on my GT3. After speaking with the fellow at Pagid, he recommends RS19 or RS29 for this duty. I think these are both yellow pads mentioned throughout this thread? What's the orange compound?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

You can shop around but the prices are similar from vendor to vendor. I got mine from TRG. Great service and knowledgable.

Word of caution, be careful when baseing the pad type with a color. The Porsche OE "yellow" comfort pads are NOT the same as Pagid RS19 "yellow" even though the OE pads are made by Pagid as well, two way different compounds.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

thanks Ray...
And good advice... that was my only frustration with this thread, that people were tossing around pad color distinction way too often, rather than compound #. Of course, I'm guilty of trying to "blend in" with my own orange reference above.

I know that my yellow OEM pads are Pagid, but NOT the RS endurance compounds. I guess I'll reread the thread to see if I can get a sense of feedback on RS19/29 vs. RS4-4. So far it sounds to me like 19/29s are a more expensive, longer lasting, higher fade resistance version of the RS4-4. I'm sure that's an over simplification and that they have some more fundamental stopping property differences, but it sounds like the "yellows" are the way to go unless you're counting your pennies?

Don't know if the Porsche "sports" equate directly to one of these compunds and what the relative price delta is.. anyone?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Don't know about the "Porsche" sport pads but the Pagid "sport" pads are a bit less expensive than the RS19/29. When looking at the Pagid sports, the fronts (GT3) are blue in color but don't confuse them with the Pagid blue racing pad and the backs will be black, again, not to be confused with the black racing pads. The blue and black color of the sport pads is the same compound just some marketing problem, only different paint. So now you're really confused.

I think the pagid web site has a graph with the different compounds and relative characteristics of each. As to getting the RS19/29's for track use, you will not be disappointed.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

yeah, the colors really can get to be a pain.... thanks for the info Ray, everyone.

One last question... on bedding in: I'm **** if i HAVE to be, but I would prefer to put the spanking new RS29s on at home, drive 70ish miles to Laguna and then do a "close as possible" job of following their bedding in instructions, considering I'm sharing the track with 20 cars and can't just nail the brakes from 90mph whenever I want. Any advice that contradicts this "do the best you can" approach? I really would rather not be playing w/ pad swaps at the track if I can avoid it. And the alternative is to bed them in before visiting Laguna and I'm not sure that's very practical on the street?

I'm new to this car, so any cool down tactics would be helpful as well.

thx,
Dave
04 GT3
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

No comments on bedding in and cool downs at the track? C'mon, let 'er rip folks....
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM
AdrianM5
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious on what you guys think of bhp(brake horsepower co.)?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd also like to know where to buy the Hawl HP Plus pads. What's the price and how much for Pagid yellows and oranges?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't underestimate the value of additional cooling. For $250 you can get a set of GT3 RS brake ducts for the 996 / 997 (and probably other) models. Significantly larger, thus directing more cooling air to the brakes. I picked up a set and will put them in during the week. My personal goal was to increase the cooling so I could use a moderate pad on both street and track during DE season, which changing back to oem when it's street mode only (per Craig's advice, I went with Pagid Orange).
Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Got mine from Craig too. I tried the GT3 RS brake ducts and they do not fit a 997S without significant modification of the duct and the car's underside protection.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:15 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I'd also like to know where to buy the Hawl HP Plus pads. What's the price and how much for Pagid yellows and oranges?
Here is the link for Hawk Brake Pads:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/

Here is a supplier for Pagid:
http://www.paragon-products.com/Visi...tore_s/248.htm

I am currently using a combo of Hawk Blue (front) and Hawk Black (rear) in my 928 (90% street driving/10% track) I am quite happy with them.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm surprised that more of you haven't tried the PFC's. I have the 01's on the front in the Big Red calipers and the 97's in rear S4 calipers. They were a revelation when I switched from EBC pads. Easily half the stopping distance. I am keeping them in my car even with the upgrades that should see comfortably 450whp.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:04 AM
wrenchhed
7th Gear

i looked on the search for brembo , and porsche rotors, but does anyone know for a fact if porsche rotors are brembo blanks from the manufacturer? or vice versa for that matter.. StopTech's are getting some serious reviews in the import mags, and my next upgrade is the obvious
Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use StopTech brakes and Pagid Yellows track and street and have been very pleased. The Orange compound gave me pad transfer at the track and squealed more than the Yellow. After initial wear in, no bedding has been required. They work great cold too, at least as cold as CA gets!

Quick Reply: What are the best street/track brake pads for a 996?