Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Spare Tire-Lack thereof...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:08 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Panamera Spare Tire-Lack thereof...

Hello all. 996 owner here. My mom just gave up her E500 and bought a CPO 2013 Panamera S last week. Such a beautiful car. She got a flat tire in San Francisco two days ago and discovered that there is no spare tire in the car. 1-800-Porsche towed the car to a dealer (after much stress, anxiety and heartache--1-800 Porsche service was horrible) and they now have it, waiting for the new tires to come in since they don't stock them. One simple flat tire on the front passenger side and she can't have her car back until at least Monday!

My mom doesn't want to experience this again. If she had a spare, then the tow company could have just put the spare on and she would be in control again, being able to take the car to her tire people to get it fixed yesterday. Are there spare tire options for this car that she can purchase as she wants to purchase something a tow company can use to get her on the road again so that she can take the car to get the tire repaired.

I've looked and am thinking a spare for a 911 from eBay or something like this that I found on another post:
Amazon Amazon

Any other ideas anyone can think of. She is going to get rid of the car if she can't have a viable solution to a flat tire that doesnt make her dependent on towing the car to a dealer. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Another Marin person! Did she not have the tire inflator/sealant that comes with the car? That can fix a simple flat enough to drive some distance.

I sympathize with her situation since I broke a rear suspension on another car driving over the crappy roads in SF and had to have the car towed to a dealer.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Yes, there should be a tire inflator kit in the frunk. Tire sealants work, depending on the puncture size and location. Others are available for $10 and less a can, but just verify that it has a non-flammable propellant. There are space saver spares made by: http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/Space-master. My Cayenne came with one and probably available from her dealer. Here's a thread that could help: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-solution.html

Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Thanks for the replies! Yes, Marin local here! Mom, lives in the city. The tire shredded so the sealant wouldn't work. Dealer says they should have the new tires from Reno in by tomorrow so should be done by tomorrow. I heard 80 was closed so we'll see if they get here!

I'm going to take the car for my mom, drive it while and learn what all the buttons are and then train her on it. Rediculous right, but man this car is complicated and very different from what she had before. She loves the car, but change is tough. I'll get her over the hump though and when done, I know she's going to enjoy the car for many many years. CPO through March 2019 and then a Delta Auto Protect Platinum Premier extended warranty from March 2019 to March 2024 and an additional 60K miles. We still have 30 days to cancel that warranty if we want. The service advisor at the dealership is going to tell us if we should keep it or not. I'm going to see if my spare from my Carrerra 4 will work on her car. If so, we'll get one of those and figure out how to store that in her car as inconspicuously as possible. Thanks again!

One more thought, anyone know if going from the 20" upgraded wheels to say a standard 18" wheel would make it less likely to blowout a tire? Should I post this as a separate thread?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:23 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Welcome! I certainly understand your mother's concern- I got stranded for more than 12 hours on a Sunday night for lack of a spare and an exploding tire.

BTW, I have an unused (looks new) 18-inch spare, jack and tools that came out of my Cayenne Turbo that I am willing to part with for a reasonble price + shipping. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

All cars should have a spare or run flats especially family cars. Luckily my Macan has a spare.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:51 AM
nvarga
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

But where would you put 20" 295mm wide tire in Panamera? On roof?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

The boot has plenty of room for a spare, unless you are trying to haul your luggage and golf clubs to the airport.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tire sealant questions

I have a Panamera GTS with 20" wheels. I just replaced my expired tire sealant.
Questions.
1. What happens to the sealant that makes it expire?
2. I know you should not exceed 50 MPH on a sealant repaired tire.
What is the approximate distance you can drive on a sealant repaired tire? For example, could one drive a distance? Does the sealant hold up overnight if needed? (Dealer not open, etc.)
I hope to never need it, but knowing what to expect would be useful.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Oekun1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking for a spare for the same reasons, but I plan on replacing my wheels shortly so I'll be putting one of my OEM wheels/tires in the trunk as a spare and keep it moving. I just need to get a jack to complete the package.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:50 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Check it out...
http://suncoastparts.com/product/970STK.html

http://parts.porschechandler.com/p/P...wd=&origin=pla
Old 02-27-2017, 12:53 AM
squawbum
Instructor

That suncoast kit looks really nice. I'll have to look into that. I played around with some options today. My spare from the 996 C4 didn't fit. The brake caliper and disc are too big. Looks like our solution is going to be two fold, one for around town and one for road trips:

Around town my mom will just have this stuff in her car:

Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System

We got it on Amazon, its easy enough for my mom and step dad to use its really cheap and supposedly works really well, although we haven't tried it yet.

When on a road trip, she will carry a full size front tire and wheel. The front fits on both front and rear. It stores nicely in the car with the drivers side rear seat folded down and leaves the trunk fully available for stuff. I used my 911 jack to lift the car and that was super easy and worked fine and we'll just get a 19MM socket with breaker bar to store in her car.

If they get a flat out in the middle of nowhere, they can change it, otherwise they can have AAA come and do it. At least they wont be at someone else's mercy.

Full size Turbo II 20" wheel can be had for around 500 on eBay. Another option is that she can also get an 18" wheel and tire combo on Tirerack where the diameter is around 25.5 inches. Much smaller tire/wheel combo than a full size 20" front. This could then fit in the trunk with her golf clubs and other stuff, whereas the 20" will fit in trunk, but no golf clubs and other stuff. the downside is that its non matching, but its her decision which direction she wants to go.

Thanks for all the replys and suggestions! The headunit/nav in her car is amazing!! Took a little figuring out, but man is it awesome. I have to figure out how to retrofit that into my 996!

Car jacked up with my 911 jack. We'll buy one on ebay.

Tire in car.

Step dad's tire in trunk with bunch of stuff. That tire doesn't fit, but could get an 18" wheel and tire that would fit around huge front caliper and brake disk that could then fit in trunk.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I know this may not help mom but I also put a plug repair kit (we already have the compressor) in case I get a simple nail. I hear that the can repair can be a messy cleanup for the rim and TPM sensors.
Also whatever spare you decide, I would assume if it s an AWD that the diameter would need to be exact or it will cause other driving issues, warning lights , etc...
An 18 or 19 would be a little more protection from flats due to hitting a pothole etc..
My dealer likes the 19 as best overall wheel.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:43 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way I would put run-flats on a car that I actually want to like to drive. I mean, come on.

Cerbo has the right idea. You don't shoot that gunk into your tire and ruin everything unless you have no other choice. The choice would be a flat-bed or POSSIBLY a plug repair kit if you can identify the location of the leak.

This is why you sign up for "Emergency Road Service" with your ins company. It is dirt cheap and then all you need to do is let the tire shop fix it like a normal person would. No long-term effects.

My canister of gunk and compressor are for when I am in a Mad Max situation where there is no tow for 200 miles and all the apocalyptic hoards are closing in on me.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I test drove a 2013 GTS a few months ago, and I almost bought it until I discovered the lack of spare tire. Deal breaker. My 997.2 has the same problem, so I don't take it on trips. At least my 1985 911 has an inflatable spare tire, and I will venture further in it than the 997. Fortunately, my A8 has a full size spare. Mike

Quick Reply: Panamera Spare Tire-Lack thereof...