Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 03:51 PM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Panamera Advice

Gang, I'm a long time Porsche owner and enthusiast... possibly interested in a Panamera Turbo. I own several Porsches but they are all 911s and fairly modified and I miss the 1) rear and trunk space 2) four doors 3) more civility for everyday use

My daily driver is an 2007 M6 and a 2012 FF which I think are great cars but a bit quirky (FF) and are missing rear doors (both)...

I have never driven a Panamera, never occurred to me to own one because I never liked the rear design, however, the newer ones, look a lot more attractive to me and I am seriously considering one as a replacement for the FF. I also have to admit that I am not that interested in driving a Ferrari around as a daily driver any more... something more understated will work better...

I'm curious as to what owners here think of their Panamera ownership and how they drive compared to a 911 (I have a good reference point there from all years, especially 997/991)

If I am asking things people have asked before please point me to previous discussions

thank you much in advance

SB
Old 11-04-2016, 02:18 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

See my signature for the list of Porsche's I've owned. I bought my PGTS one year and 10,000 miles ago. It is easily the best built Porsche I've ever owned. It's roomy, comfortable, fast, gets reasonable fuel economy and devours highway miles. The only downsides are it's size and rearward visibility. I turned too sharply in a curbed turning lane and slightly curbed, my RR wheel. I'd buy the car again in a minute. I don't want to tie up the money a PTT would cost,and I'm not crazy about a turbo V6. So I'm quite happy with a NA V8.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:18 PM
speef
Racer

Fred - very helpful... GTS maybe the way to go... I'ill go drive one - thanks much - SB
Old 11-05-2016, 10:39 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agree wholeheartedly with Fred R. Have had a '13 now a '16 PGTS. Best car I have ever owned for overall experience by far, including a '15 991 TTS. The new Panamera body style is an improvement for certain, as is every other aspect of the car, although my '16 is an absolute delight to drive daily and the NA engine delivers power right now, to say nothing about the exhaust note on acceleration and overrun. The new Panamera Turbo seems a big step forward dynamically and the engineers have worked hard on the exhaust note. If like me, you prefer NA then there are quite a few new '16 PGTS's at dealers and they may well be the last of the NA engines for the Panamera.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:15 AM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up a 2016 Panamera GTS with 8900 miles on the clock. It is amazing how this car handles and I have to agree the exhaust note is wonderful. I always thought my 2006 Cayenne Turbo was the best car I ever owned. This will be hands down a better car
Old 11-06-2016, 01:51 PM
speef
Racer

these are quite the endorsements... curious, did any of you cross shop the Cayenne GTS? They seem to be quite the kit as well... (although I think I prefer the Panamera) ... curious... thanks
Old 11-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by speef
these are quite the endorsements... curious, did any of you cross shop the Cayenne GTS? They seem to be quite the kit as well... (although I think I prefer the Panamera) ... curious... thanks
Apples and oranges...one is a truck/SUV and the other is a sedan. I detest SUVs. This may be due to the year I logged 20,000+ miles in a company owned Suburban 3/4 ton rig that rode like the logging trucks I worked around. On the road, I steer well clear of SUVs.

YMMV
Old 11-07-2016, 12:56 AM
speef
Racer

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Apples and oranges...one is a truck/SUV and the other is a sedan. I detest SUVs. This may be due to the year I logged 20,000+ miles in a company owned Suburban 3/4 ton rig that rode like the logging trucks I worked around. On the road, I steer well clear of SUVs.

YMMV
thought so... I feel the same way... wife has a x5m, nice car, but you can't cheat physics... tall and heavy is tall and heavy...
Old 11-08-2016, 10:43 AM
speef
Racer

btw, why have fast wagons never sold well in the US? we never seem to get the top of the line wagons from Europe over here with few exceptions... ?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by speef
btw, why have fast wagons never sold well in the US? we never seem to get the top of the line wagons from Europe over here with few exceptions... ?
Hopefully this will reverse.. that panamera wagon seems to be coming here according to dealers. I'm torn between an e63 wagon and a panamera GTS... not in a rush, but within next 6 months will replace my BMW daily driver 535xi wagon with one of these. Can't decide.

E63 sounds like NASCAR and has all the torque.. panamera GTS has the handling I enjoy.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:27 PM
MIA997TTBeast
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv had a few M's and 2 Ferraris and once the Porsche bug stings you, you are stuck with it.

I'm on my 4th Porsche now in 5 years.

Quick Reply: Panamera Advice