Test drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Test drive

So I drove a 13 TT today. Ex lease, 30k, not well loved,
Comparing it to my 996TT which was loved but comes with a tune.

Wondering if it was this car or just me. Never drove one before.

1. It felt small but drove heavy. TC kicked in on a right hand corner at what I considered a fairly modest speed. The 996 would have just gone round without drama. Hell my Touareg would have been fine IMO. The tire squeal I could have done without. The rep grabbing the handles was an unlooked for bonus - I wasn't trying to test pilot, just go round a corner.

2. It's quiet. Real quiet. I liked that. Seats are nice. The extending leg support is super. Lots of buttons but I'm sure you get used to them.

3. First gear seems short. It screams, gets to 30 or so, changes gear then goes quiet. It's kinda strange.

4. Throttle pedal has about 2" of articulation. Then if you press it hard it has another 1/2" of kick down. It's hard(ER) to modulate. It feels strange after the more analog 911.

Drove it in all 3 modes. It's a mixed bag. There are things I like and things I don't. I don't want a fight about what's great, I just wondered if my impressions are accurate for all of them or just this one.

If it was 20k cheaper it would be in the garage as a DD, but that's my own value proposition rather than what it's worth on the open market.

Am I nuts or do any of these points resonate?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:24 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get what suits you. I would never buy a car about which I had reservations or that was a compromise. Fact is that judgments about cars at this or really any level are subjective so another person's opinion may mean little. I've had two PGTS's and liked them both more than my 2015 991 TTS as DD's. You may want to test drive a PGTS for contrast.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I came from a 997 to a 2015 Panamera 4... neither turbo. I can tell you that at 120 the 911 felt like you were going fast, in the Pana you can do 120 and sip a coffee....
That 1 st gear is very short but mine starts in 2 and doesn t use the 1st unless called upon.
Heavy ride for sure, but that s what makes it a luxury ride.
Drove mine today in the snow and slop... I never even drove the 911 in tha rain, my fault I guess.

Quick Reply: Test drive