Most durable tires for 2011 Panamera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM
eamus
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most durable tires for 2011 Panamera S

Longtime lurker, first time poster.....

Background: five years ago I purchased my Panamera and use it as a daily driver. However, since I work from home that meant ~7K/year and most of that was road tripping to the beach, NYC, etc. I absolutely LOVE the car. I have 20" summer tires (P Zeros) and a set of 19" winter tires (Michelin Alpins).

Now: I recently have started my own business, which is forcing me onto the road. I expect that my annual mileage will get into the 20-25K range and maybe up to 30K. The P Zeros last for about 10-12K miles, and with most of my road mileage being in the southeastern US (and thus warmer areas), I can't really stomach getting 2 sets of them each year. The Michelins seem to be impervious to road wear (the tread depth has reduced barely at all after 10K winter miles) but are not comfortable for all-year driving.

Hopefully I don't come across as whining about the cost of maintaining a Porsche. I bought the car knowing the costs and was content to bear them. However the lowish-mileage world for which I bought the car no longer exists for me and I am starting to think much harder about maintenance and consumables. The fuel (MPG) is actually not bad and the car has been durable (touch wood, no problems at all). I am working on the assumption that even if I spent $10K on maintenance and non-fuel consumables for each of the next 2 years as a result of the increased mileage, I would be happier than having spent that $20K on a beater car that I hated and that would be worth maybe $8K after those 2 years. My car is not a trailer queen by any stretch of the imagination. I look after it, but it is a car and I drive it all the time. It has nicks and chips, and I am not precious about it becoming a high-mileage vehicle.

Question/Request/Advice: All that being said, it seems to me that durable tires would help stem the tide of maintenance costs. However, and as would be expected, practically all of the tire advice I find is geared towards performance. If grip and performance are (now) less important than durability, what suggestions do you have for tires? I am about to switch back to the winter set, but the P Zero summer tires will need to be replaced - there is not enough tread depth to put them back on the car next spring. Should I look to more durable summer tires, and if so, which ones? Or go A/S for durability in the summer and continue with the Michelins in the winter? Or something else??

Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:08 AM
991turbo
Rennlist Member

Continental dws for all traction and weather conditions are used on more big powered cars now a days
Old 10-07-2016, 07:04 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by eamus
Longtime lurker, first time poster.....

Background: five years ago I purchased my Panamera and use it as a daily driver. However, since I work from home that meant ~7K/year and most of that was road tripping to the beach, NYC, etc. I absolutely LOVE the car. I have 20" summer tires (P Zeros) and a set of 19" winter tires (Michelin Alpins).
I

Now: I recently have started my own business, which is forcing me onto the road. I expect that my annual mileage will get into the 20-25K range and maybe up to 30K. The P Zeros last for about 10-12K miles, and with most of my road mileage being in the southeastern US (and thus warmer areas), I can't really stomach getting 2 sets of them each year. The Michelins seem to be impervious to road wear (the tread depth has reduced barely at all after 10K winter miles) but are not comfortable for all-year driving.

Hopefully I don't come across as whining about the cost of maintaining a Porsche. I bought the car knowing the costs and was content to bear them. However the lowish-mileage world for which I bought the car no longer exists for me and I am starting to think much harder about maintenance and consumables. The fuel (MPG) is actually not bad and the car has been durable (touch wood, no problems at all). I am working on the assumption that even if I spent $10K on maintenance and non-fuel consumables for each of the next 2 years as a result of the increased mileage, I would be happier than having spent that $20K on a beater car that I hated and that would be worth maybe $8K after those 2 years. My car is not a trailer queen by any stretch of the imagination. I look after it, but it is a car and I drive it all the time. It has nicks and chips, and I am not precious about it becoming a high-mileage vehicle.

Question/Request/Advice: All that being said, it seems to me that durable tires would help stem the tide of maintenance costs. However, and as would be expected, practically all of the tire advice I find is geared towards performance. If grip and performance are (now) less important than durability, what suggestions do you have for tires? I am about to switch back to the winter set, but the P Zero summer tires will need to be replaced - there is not enough tread depth to put them back on the car next spring. Should I look to more durable summer tires, and if so, which ones? Or go A/S for durability in the summer and continue with the Michelins in the winter? Or something else??

Many thanks in advance.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 PM
nvarga
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In Europe we use sepparate sets of summer and winter tires. I think that this is better sollution than all weather tires, especially on big and heavy cars.
I have Pirelli P Zero which came with car they barely lasted 20k km. They have lot of grip but are noisy and unconfortable. Biggest issue is that thay follow ruts on road so you have to fight with wheel.

I bought Continetal T830P winter tyres and they are much more confortable on dry road.

Next summer tyres I will buy are Continental SC6 or Michelin Sport 4.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:04 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It is funny, the perception on tires seems to be very personal.
I have currently Continental on our Cayenne Turbo and I feel that these are the worse tires that I ever had on any Cayenne (over more than 120'000 miles of Cayenne experience)
Extremely rough running, noisy.

On the Panamera (4S with air suspension) we have PZero, and I feel that they are incredible, soft, a lot of grip, and extremely silent. ..Sometime, cruising at legal freeway speed, I do shut the Chrono, coz I hear it clicking ! (..But it is true that they do not last "very-very" long.
Note that my PZero are "N" spec (Porsche specified) tires.
I'm very picky on tires. On my Boxster, that I use mostly on track, (with Nitto NT01), my road set is Michelin Super Sport, and I feel those match well the car (I have PSS9, a very stiff suspension) and still the Michelin are great.
To be back on Panamera, I'm not inclined to put anything else than PZero (N spec), as I really feel that there are great.
Note that I would not think about "saving" on tires with such high quality car. The cost of the depreciation of the car (investment value) is a LOT more, compared to any saving on tires, and this, when I do feel that the quality of the tires is in DIRECT and close relation with the pleasure of driving such great car.
Or, my "two cents" ..if you want to be cheap with tires, then do not buy a Porsche !
..or by one in clay, to let it stand by the front of your garage !
Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 PM
eamus
4th Gear

Thank you for the posts so far - that has given me a couple of options to look at.

I take the point about depreciation, but I am not seeking "to be cheap with tires" or even to mitigate depreciation. I love the car, and love driving the snot out of it. But if you own your own business and so are spending your own money, most would agree that a Panamera S is a less than ideal choice for heavy road use as a company car, even if it is great for road trips generally. Per my OP, though, that was not my original expectation, and I am where I am with it.

N Spec P Zeros (which is what I have now) will cost me $1500 with tax, but without fitment. Do that twice a year just for summer use, and you really start to wonder whether there are other options .... which is exactly what my question was.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:32 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

for your info some good time ago, I did posted that info :

Name:  PanameraNtires.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  177.8 KB

I suppose that now a new one exist.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For my summer 20's the MPSS is my choice. My dealer matches the TR price and I trust them with mounting and balancing.

From TireRack:

Best Seller
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
(1,113)
| Reviews (1,001)
Consumer Recommended
Tire Rack Tested
Click to Compare
MICHELIN
PILOT SUPER SPORTMax Performance Summer

Front: 255/40ZR20 (101Y) XL
N0(Porsche)
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: 300 AA A

Qty:
Per Tire:

$377.70
Availability: In Stock
Can be delivered Mon, 10/17 to 02171 for $16.51 per tire.

Rear: 295/35ZR20 (105Y) XL
N0(Porsche)
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: 300 AA A

Qty:
Per Tire:

$433.00
Availability: In Stock
Can be delivered Mon, 10/17 to 02171 for $27.72 per tire.

Set of 4: $1,621.40

Quick Reply: Most durable tires for 2011 Panamera S