Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Center Lock Conversion

Old 07-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Das_Dumped
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera Center Lock Conversion

Hello Rennlisters!

This may be a hot button topic, but I am looking to maybe convert my soon-to-be Panamera S to center lock. Does anyone have any experience in the difference between 997/991 hubs and the Panameras? Could I directly swap over a center lock kit from one of these vehicles? Would be looking to run bespoke 21" wheels.

I understand the headache that comes along with center lock, but I'm in love with the look and would rarely have to remove my wheels

Last edited by Das_Dumped; 04-28-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:45 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i gadda follow dis 1
Old 07-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Take it from a former 911 GTS owner equipped with centerlock wheels. YOU DO NOT WANT THEM!

Try searching for an aftermarket wheel that is a fake centerlock. They're secured with 5 lugbolts, but the center of the wheel has a cover that makes the wheel appear to of centerlock design.

YOU DO NOT WANT CENTERLOCK WHEELS! CAN I BE ANY CLEARER ON THIS?
Old 07-18-2016, 03:32 AM
Jafetica888
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Take it from a former 911 GTS owner equipped with centerlock wheels. YOU DO NOT WANT THEM! Try searching for an aftermarket wheel that is a fake centerlock. They're secured with 5 lugbolts, but the center of the wheel has a cover that makes the wheel appear to of centerlock design. YOU DO NOT WANT CENTERLOCK WHEELS! CAN I BE ANY CLEARER ON THIS?
Why don't you like them?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jafetica888
Why don't you like them?
Step 1. Lay on a provision of supplies to last a few days.
Step 2. Proceed to the 997 or 997 GT3 forums on Rennlist or any other major Porsche owner forum.
Step 3. Search "centerlock wheels".
Step 4. Read thru the hundreds of post outlining the complete idiocy of these wheel designs for a road car. Note the cost many go thru to convert them to conventional 5 lug designs.

I haven't the time or patience to do the leg work for you on this topic. It's all out there on the forums.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Jafetica888
Advanced

Step 1. Lay on a provision of supplies to last a few days. Step 2. Proceed to the 997 or 997 GT3 forums on Rennlist or any other major Porsche owner forum. Step 3. Search "centerlock wheels". Step 4. Read thru the hundreds of post outlining the complete idiocy of these wheel designs for a road car. Note the cost many go thru to convert them to conventional 5 lug designs. I haven't the time or patience to do the leg work for you on this topic. It's all out there on the forums.
Never mind
Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM
siswati
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take it from a former 911 GTS owner equipped with centerlock wheels. YOU DO NOT WANT THEM!
YOU DO NOT WANT CENTERLOCK WHEELS! CAN I BE ANY CLEARER ON THIS?
I am a Panamera s and current 991 911GT3 Owner. And if I had the option I would absolutely take a 5-lug nut wheel any-day on my GT3. Sure the center lock looks cool, but As Fred R says, the center lock is a royal pain in the ***. Fine for the track, but not fun for the road

First off, you will need to purchase and transport the following items in your car, since if you ever have a flat you WILL need them at most tire/wheel stores,

Getting the wheel off is a pain, it takes time, and you have to be really careful to protect the center loc threads as you remove the wheel (if you dont have the alignment tool)

When you put the wheel back on you need to once again be really careful to avoid contact with the threads and PCCB rotors

Then you need to apply an anti-seize compound to the threads, and torque the wheels, to the recommended torque, back it off and torque again.

With an impact wrench I can change all four wheels on my Panamera, and torque them, in around 8 minutes. With my center-locks the first time I did it it was around 20 minutes per wheel, now it takes me around 5-6 minutes per wheel

The biggest issue for me was getting a flat. Got a flat tow to a very high end wheel/tire shop, and sat there waiting for over 2 hours while they went to the local Porsche dealer to get the tools needed to do the tire change. (now I carry them in the frunk - but it's a Royal PITA)

But as with everything in life, YMMV and you might just love it!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I find changing the CL wheels to be simple. Not sure what all the fuss is.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Center locks take slightly more time to change (not as much as some say on GT3 forums, to be fair), the paste gets on everything - forget changing wheels without nitrile gloves and a roll of paper towels, independent mechanics can screw it up or just plain refuse to do it so you have to do it yourself, and you need to buy extra tools for it. So there are reasons to avoid them and no real benefits.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:18 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by CT944
I find changing the CL wheels to be simple. Not sure what all the fuss is.
I would not modify my PGTS five lug wheels to CL's, but did not find CL's on my '15 TTS to be a problem. CL's have advantages, just as PCCB's do, but the popular view on these forums is that they both are a nuisance. To each his own I suppose. Although Panamera's are certainly fun on the track, obviously Porsche sees no reason to offer CL's on them.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Not exactly sure why this would be a good idea. Turbo II wheels rock, why mess with perfection?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 04-28-2018, 01:44 AM
Das_Dumped
Rennlist Member

Wanted to bring this back from the dead...it's back on

The front and rear hubs on a 970 are the same. They also happen to be the same as a 997 front hub; Therefore, it appears two sets of front 997 center lock hubs will work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera Center Lock Conversion